510 Whisper - What design for the silencer?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jolyon39

510 Whisper - What design for the silencer?

Post by jolyon39 »

Hi,

I am located in New Zealand so there are no issues with "tax Stamps" or any other silencer legislation.

I just joined this forum so if I am in the wrong place just nudge me in the right direction.

I am building a rifle similar to the .510 Whisper on a CZ550 .416 Rigby action because we can not get the finished item out of the US. Having a reamer made and buying dies from CH4D. Cant get the can from the US either but lots of manufacturers here and they all say that theirs is best!

OK.... What actual design is best suited to this caliber?

I hear all sort of stories along the lines that the sectional area at the back of a 50 cal projectile is so big that column of air behind the bullet will make a big bang anyway. This means that silencer design is critical.

Drawings, photographs and similar are all appreciated - I am not a machinist but please educate me
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Re: 510 Whisper - What design for the silencer?

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi

I am also in NZ, check out my previous post I have made quite a few cans over the years.

OK first questions is would this round be subsonic, if so, I would say definitely go for K baffles, I recently made a can for a 1911 45, again relatively large bore and it was very comfortable without hearing protection.

Here is a link viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132909

I make a few for people as a hobby but have at least three months worth of work so not really looking for more at the moment, I would however say be careful over here, many large manufacturers are still with very poorly performing old tech cans.

Cheers
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

You could contact the guy who invented it J.D.Jones @ SSK Industries.
http://sskindustries.com
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
jolyon39

Post by jolyon39 »

Thanks for the comments.

Yes this will be a subsonic rifle

Thanks for the comments on K baffles.

What is the benefit of a Dual Tube Silencer?