338lm?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

clark4283

338lm?

Post by clark4283 »

I have a piece on 316 seamless tubing thats 1.75" OD x .065" wall x 1.62" ID. I'm wanting to build a 338lm can out of it but I'm not sure if the wall is thick enough. I would like it to have threaded end caps and be 10" long. So I guess my question is do I have enough wall for threads and if I do what pitch do you recommend?

I know most prefer welding cans but I have a lathe and mill not a welder. Plus I will be using it on 300bk with cast bullets. Thanks for any advice.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Re: 338lm?

Post by ranb »

Just fine for welded end caps, maybe not for threaded. If you make it all steel you can chemically clean it if it gains weight from using cast ammo. It would probably be less of a hassle to find a welder you can use than to make threaded end caps.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
clark4283

Post by clark4283 »

I do plan to use stainless cones and spacers. I'm sure I could use someones welder but I'm more confident in my machining than my welding. Especially since I haven't done any welding in over 20 years.

I was think of threading the end caps 24tpi or 26tpi. Do you still think I don't have enough meat left? I have the material lying around so I would like to use it. I just don't want to blow anything up.

I was thinking about a 3" blast chamber. Should I make that bigger? I'm not that familiar with the 338 yet. I'm in the process of building one so I should be more educated after.

Thanks for the response and any more advice would be appreciated.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

clark4283 wrote:I do plan to use stainless cones and spacers. I'm sure I could use someones welder but I'm more confident in my machining than my welding. Especially since I haven't done any welding in over 20 years.

I was think of threading the end caps 24tpi or 26tpi. Do you still think I don't have enough meat left? I have the material lying around so I would like to use it. I just don't want to blow anything up.

I was thinking about a 3" blast chamber. Should I make that bigger? I'm not that familiar with the 338 yet. I'm in the process of building one so I should be more educated after.

Thanks for the response and any more advice would be appreciated.
I did several 304 and 316 seamless in 1.5mm wall with 1mm pitch thread. for 556-308-338LM.
Just made sure the blast chamber was lined with extra tube, and wall for bafflespacers was at least 1mm.
with 316 - 17/4 baffles

Gunny
clark4283

Post by clark4283 »

I have some tube .060" thick for spacers. I assume that should be more than adequate. Any advice on blast chamber length?