dome/ellipse baffles ?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

dome/ellipse baffles ?

Post by mr fixit »

I've read some old post that reference dome or ellipse baffles, and them having certain specific attributes or uses. Just wondering what those might be.
Rich93ds

Re: dome/ellipse baffles ?

Post by Rich93ds »

subscribed
Sig 516 - Magpul UBR, CCA Side Mount Bipod, Velocity 4lb Trigger, SDTA Brake, Vortex Strike Eagle

Form 1 - .223cal 6" Titanium Can

Form 1 - 9mm Full Size K Can and 9mm Cone Micro Can
sizulku
Silent Operator

Post by sizulku »

Tagged for future buikd.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Was it LavaRed's parabolic baffles you're referring to? He never really spelled those out it seems. Said they were a bit impractical, but very quiet when perfectly set up or something.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61122&p=911661&hili ... ic#p911661
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Actually, more like this from Wicked:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65774

I seem to remember reading a a reply to a thread here where someone mentioned 'round/dome/bowl/hemispherical/etc' baffles had a unique set of properties or something. Can't find it now.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Ah yes, that's the build I was going to search for next, should you say the LavaRed build wasn't it. A lovely piece of work, that. Very nice execution and I think a solid acoustical principle, in that a curving surface is likely to render more destructive interference, breaking down vibrations before they exit the can, than relatively simple cones.
sizulku
Silent Operator

Post by sizulku »

mr fixit wrote:Actually, more like this from Wicked:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65774

I seem to remember reading a a reply to a thread here where someone mentioned 'round/dome/bowl/hemispherical/etc' baffles had a unique set of properties or something. Can't find it now.
Check this link bellow:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132546&p=912539

mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

I have lost the original post I was speaking of. I am still interested if anyone has any knowledge of round baffles, domes, ellipses having any special characteristics that aid suppression when used as baffles.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

I'll throw my .02 cents in the ring for what it's worth. My 'dome baffle' can was built over 5 years ago, a first attempt at building a F1 suppressor. So far as I know, there isn't anything magical about the baffles or their shape. They are very effective in a high pressure rifle can with a small bore. Not nearly so much in a low pressure application with a larger bore.

The real reason I used the 'dome' baffle shape? Because Ops, Inc. and the Ops 'inspired' SureFire cans used them. They were/are top performers. So did the Russians, abet in a very different back-to-back layout. I'm not a designer or engineer, so I didn't see the need to re-invent the wheel. I don't completely understand WHY they work, just that they DO. I liked many elements of the AAC layout, so I combined all three into one Ops/SF/AAC bastard design. I did not show every feature of the build, there are a few things that aren't in the pics, but the basic design is sound IF you have the ability to form the baffles and weld them together. More people probably don't use this type of baffle because they can't form them, not because they don't work.

Partly I did it because I could. My strengths are in tooling, machining and welding. The baffles were difficult to form without a die set and press. The cost would have been foolish to get half a dozen baffles that way. Metal spinning was the answer. Could something similar be constructed by other methods? Certainly. None will be cheap or easy. But the performance is there; a dome baffle works very well in that specific application. Proof is in the pudding. This can was mil-spec tested and documented @ -33 to -37db reduction in front of reps from SAS, Gemtech, Liberty and Huntertown Arms.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons