Form 1 questions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Oblio13

Form 1 questions

Post by Oblio13 »

Hi all, and thanks in advance. I've spent weeks Googling, and I still have questions about some specifics.

I'd like to suppress a 5.56 AR with a 16" barrel.

I have:

An approved Form 1
A NAPA 4003 fuel filter
45 MM freeze plugs
An engraved end cap.

Here are my questions:

Should I buy a flash suppressor with outside threads to fit the 3/4 NPT threads of the fuel filter? Or should I buy an end cap for the fuel filter with 1/2 x 28 threads so that it can be directly attached to the barrel? I'd prefer the latter option because it would be shorter and lighter, but am wondering if I need a flash suppressor to disperse the muzzle blast.

How many freeze-plug baffles and at what spacing would be optimum? To keep it light and simple, would a half dozen stacked at the exit end with no spacers be effective?
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 1 questions

Post by c5_nc »

Looks like it is is 2"+ in OD and 11" long. So huge the applicaiton and Aluminum construction. Maybe start with one of the solvent traps that are similar to commercial size.
Oblio13

Post by Oblio13 »

I'll do a smaller one next, but for this one, I'm hoping the large internal volume will reduce the gases flowing back into the receiver.
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

I wouldn't trust that fuel filter housing with my life that thing is not made to withstand pressures of a high powered rifle it might not blow right away but it will blow on you good luck and play safe and buy a stainless steel or titanium solvent trap tube with end caps and be done with it but your face and your money on the line so do what u like
:evil: hey watch this