i have been lurking all summer, now im ready to ask

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

thetoadinpa

i have been lurking all summer, now im ready to ask

Post by thetoadinpa »

Minnesota just passed the laws so you can use and have suppressors, and hunt with them !
so now I’m really wanting one. I have already started my trust account paper work.

I’m am going to make a SD Tactical, titanium (7.6”) B-tube build, as it would cover the range of calibers I would like, and be adaptable for a pistol LID.

Form 1 questions
Is the end caps or boosters added to the overall length? Or just the tube ?
Boosters (LID’s) being much longer then end caps ? and changing the over-all length.
I have been told that the length on the form, is a not to exceed length (say it’s a 10” and if its only 8” it’s ok?) and that the diameter doesn’t even matter ?

I will be using it on - 22LR, 223, 300AAC, 357/38/9mm, 30-30 and 7.63x39 (mostly on AR’s and Thompson encore/contender barrels). But would like to be able to put it on a 9mm M&P pistol and maybe a 45 glock..

So, you can’t have more than 1 treaded cap? (as each threaded cap is considered a suppressor)
I have seen a video of a manufactured suppressor that had the end cap threaded, so that if you had a bullet strike, the thread protector could be removed and a new one installed (I can’t find it again, however), So my understanding is? This means each end of the suppressor could be threaded (say in 1/2x28 and 5/8x24) ?? and then use thread protectors?
Also my understanding is that if the threaded cap does NOT hold the baffles in place (then in turn it is used as the tube thread protector), and it can be removable and changed ? So if I were to tig weld the first spacer in place (so the baffles were not removable from that end) I could have extra threaded caps, in different sizes?
And then there’s adding a booster (LID) ? How in turn would this be legal ? Doesn’t it hold the baffles in place ? Can you have both a Booster (for the pistols) and a couple of solid end mounts like Gem-tech has for the rifles? (1/2x28 & 5/8x24) ??

If I went with a freeze plug build, I believe I would go with – 1-3/4” blast chamber, then 1-1/4” chamber, then a 1” chamber, then the rest all freeze plugs (should be 9 total). I believe that the 1-3/4” blast chamber would be sufficient for the 223, 300AAC and 7.62x39, would it not?

These are my new-be questions ??
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Re: i have been lurking all summer, now im ready to ask

Post by sickasssig »

You would be better off going with a d cell size tube for volume for those calibers u listed otherwise you will be disappointed just my 2 cents good luck in your build and have fun with it
:evil: hey watch this
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

You can't have multiple end caps. The tube in question has a 1.149? ID.. Smaller than most commercial pistol cans so that would be really undersized for 5.56/300blk/7.62. Diversified machine makes a 1.375" OD 1.259" ID ti tube that you can use 1 1/4 stainless plugs, valve retainers, ti pipe (for spacers) it is undersized for rifle rounds. He can make a threaded adapter or the lid so you can used the lid or threaded without having silencer parts. You may want to consider separate builds for the pistol vs rifle.
thetoadinpa

Post by thetoadinpa »

can someone give me the address for Diversified machine ?
I have found several listings, but none that had suppressor parts listed ?
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

thetoadinpa wrote:can someone give me the address for Diversified machine ?
I have found several listings, but none that had suppressor parts listed ?
He doesn't have a website but the price lists he sent out by email has been posted several places. Google "Diversified Machine price list".
thetoadinpa

Post by thetoadinpa »

Many thanks for all the info everyone has sent me
plodder
Silent Operator

Post by plodder »

[quote="thetoadinpa"]
So, you can’t have more than 1 treaded cap? (as each threaded cap is considered a suppressor)
quote]
Is this a fact? The serial number, maker & all other info for my Form 1 silencers are on the tube, thereby rendering it the "firearm". All the other bits are just components.

I stand to be corrected, but what is the source for "no more than 1 threaded cap" on a silencer?
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

Because the components are silencer parts, not just the engraved part.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

c5_nc wrote:You can't have multiple end caps. The tube in question has a 1.149? ID.. Smaller than most commercial pistol cans so that would be really undersized for 5.56/300blk/7.62. Diversified machine makes a 1.375" OD 1.259" ID ti tube that you can use 1 1/4 stainless plugs, valve retainers, ti pipe (for spacers) it is undersized for rifle rounds. He can make a threaded adapter or the lid so you can used the lid or threaded without having silencer parts. You may want to consider separate builds for the pistol vs rifle.
c5_nc

You have made several cans using the DM tubes.
He also makes endcaps, thread adapters and QD adapters if I'm not wrong.
The tubes are made from Gr9 or Gr5?

What are the DM size tubes you have used?
OD - ID - L

I do think its great for the F1 community to have a source like that.

Gunny
plodder
Silent Operator

Post by plodder »

c5_nc wrote:Because the components are silencer parts, not just the engraved part.
I think I misinterpreted the OP's point. Upon further review it appears he was stating the fact that you cannot have different end caps on hand to thread the same suppressor onto multiple barrel thread sizes. My first reading of it led me to think that he was saying he could only have threads on 1 end of his tube.

I sincerely hope that is not the case or I've got a whole lot of 'splainin to do :oops:
Still awaiting an original & riveting thought for signature line; stand by...........
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

gunny50 wrote:
c5_nc wrote:You can't have multiple end caps. The tube in question has a 1.149? ID.. Smaller than most commercial pistol cans so that would be really undersized for 5.56/300blk/7.62. Diversified machine makes a 1.375" OD 1.259" ID ti tube that you can use 1 1/4 stainless plugs, valve retainers, ti pipe (for spacers) it is undersized for rifle rounds. He can make a threaded adapter or the lid so you can used the lid or threaded without having silencer parts. You may want to consider separate builds for the pistol vs rifle.
c5_nc

You have made several cans using the DM tubes.
He also makes endcaps, thread adapters and QD adapters if I'm not wrong.
The tubes are made from Gr9 or Gr5?

What are the DM size tubes you have used?
OD - ID - L

I do think its great for the F1 community to have a source like that.

Gunny
Ti tubing he uses is Gr9 and ends are Gr5. Primarily in the USA those are the common grades available in tube/bar. The core of what is offered is the 1.625" and 1.5" tubes which can take off the shelf Tube/VSR/SS FPs in 1 1/2" or 1 3/8". The 1.375 Ti pistol can which take off the shelf 1 1/4" internals, and the 1.125" Ti Rimfire which you can use off the shelf 1" internals.

The 1.625" Ti Tubes on his Reflex really stand out, better than of the commercial cans I have tried. I'm getting a 1.5" Ti next, it looks like I can get it under 10oz complete.

Solvent Traps that could be re-purposed for centerfire rifle:
1.625" OD 1.486-1.502" ID Titanium
1.5" OD 1.350-1.380" ID Titanium
1.5", 1.625", 1.75", 2.00" in Ti and SS and Aluminum have been done

Pistol:
1.375" (takes 1 1/4" internals) Ti
1.313" (slightly cheaper direct thread to LID adapter) Ti
1.25" and 1.375" in AL, SS, and Ti

Rimfire:
1.125" 1.00" Ti
1.25" 1.00" Al

Regular and Cone end caps
Any direct thread RH or LH, Griffin QD, YHM QD, 3 Lug, Bowers Versamount adapters
Reflex adapters direct thread or Griffin QD.