Slowing down "standard velocity" 22LR

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

V8Astro
Silent But Deadly

Slowing down "standard velocity" 22LR

Post by V8Astro »

I once read that there was a feature designed into an integral pistol that slowed down standard velocity 22 to subsonic levels. I think there was a port drilled in the barrel that bled pressure off into the tube. I don't remember the port size but I think it was 1.250" from the bolt face.

I have a very plain yet very effective integral can on my 10/22. It's basically a maglite tube covering the last 10" of barrel. The barrel is ported underneath and the space between filled with copper pot scrubbers.

My idea is to machine the OD of the barrel at the chamber side to .750". Then I could use an AR15 micro gas block and gas tube turned around backwards. I could drill a small hole in the rear cap of the can and silver solder the gas tube to it.

Any thoughts on a starting size for the port?
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Slowing down "standard velocity" 22LR

Post by Artful »

You mean like this design with just one hole?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
c5_nc
Silent But Deadly

Post by c5_nc »

Standard velocity 22lr is subsonic already.

Standard, Subsonic, and Match is typically subsonic. High velocity (and typically unlabeled and hunting) is Supersonic in rifle length barrels (typically subsonic in 5" and under, Supersonic in 6"+, with a grey area in between).

The pot scrubbers are a bad idea, they are silencer parts that require a $200 tax stamp to replace each one. Certainly they will crudded up quickly. Good news is the ATF says you don't have to engrave each $201 pot scrubber when you replace them.

The commercial integrated 10/22's purpose is to to require only one tax stamp and they are typically back ported to allow for bulk ammo to stay subsonic.
V8Astro
Silent But Deadly

Post by V8Astro »

Artful wrote:You mean like this design with just one hole?
Yes. Just like that. But I'm dealing with an 18" barrel so i think I would need much less than 4x 5mm holes.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

V8Astro wrote:I once read that there was a feature designed into an integral pistol that slowed down standard velocity 22 to subsonic levels. I think there was a port drilled in the barrel that bled pressure off into the tube. I don't remember the port size but I think it was 1.250" from the bolt face.

I have a very plain yet very effective integral can on my 10/22. It's basically a maglite tube covering the last 10" of barrel. The barrel is ported underneath and the space between filled with copper pot scrubbers.

My idea is to machine the OD of the barrel at the chamber side to .750". Then I could use an AR15 micro gas block and gas tube turned around backwards. I could drill a small hole in the rear cap of the can and silver solder the gas tube to it.

Any thoughts on a starting size for the port?
You might be able to slow your projectiles down if you extensively port the barrel you have now.This would depend if your drilling into the rifling or if that has been reamed out.Placing ports on one side only is a unusual way of doing it.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

V8Astro wrote:Yes. Just like that. But I'm dealing with an 18" barrel so i think I would need much less than 4x 5mm holes.
Check out Gemtech's Mist-22.
Don't steal! Just be inspired. :)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
sickasssig
Silent Operator

Post by sickasssig »

Ive got a sig 522 with 16 inch barrel and all cci standard stays subsonic out of it all u can really hear is the action working with the form 1 suppresor attached
:evil: hey watch this
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

My 16" Savage FVSR bolt rifle is quiet with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Does not break the sound barrier at all.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bullet speed under 1,140 feet per second at 70ºF classified 'subsonic'.

Referencing
<< http://www.kifaruforums.net/archive/ind ... -6867.html >>

For say a 5" barrel Clark or Brandes Bully Barrel for the S&W 41,
velocity of exiting .22 ~959'/sec.

Refer to previous topic on Tesla Valve: the intriguing OSS
design key components are its de facto large surface area in 'small' volume
( Klingon Condom ) and turbulence which equates to exit delay.

Notional design of a failed to be submitted patent many years ago was tube filled
like shotgun shells with elliptical* cylinders
with 'mouse holes' at each end.

The foci created echoing turbulence/delay.

E.g. like 12g CO2 1"x 4" with center half cut out.**

* << http://www.mathwords.com/f/foci_ellipse.htm >>
** << http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... _cartridge >>