Help with baffle design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Which stack do you think would be the most effective?

A
No votes
B
No votes
C
No votes

Total votes: 0

Shawnson

Help with baffle design

Post by Shawnson »

I am building a all titanium 45 can and would like some opinions on baffle designs. The first two keep the same overall height of the baffle the same but the spacer height changes which changes the cone dimensions. The third has the taller spacer with the taller cone. Keep in mind that the taller spacers will reduce the total number of baffles in the stack by 1. Any input on the overall design is welcome as well.

Stack A has a .500" spacer which has a taller cone.

Stack B has a .600" spacer which has a shorter cone.

Stack C has the taller .600" spacer but keeps the cone taller as well.

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help with baffle design

Post by Capt. Link. »

You need to add (D) for none of the above.
The K baffle is King in 45acp and other pistol calibers a ported cone second.Unless you are prototyping and can live with a possible dud I would switch to K baffles or build cones like the the big dogs do.

I think your baffle stack would work better with a higher pressure round.The 45 is one of the hardest rounds to suppress.It has low pressure and needs a large hole for the projectile.

You could also (try) your stack with narrow spacing and move the gas port back to the baffles entrance where it can do the most good with the low pressure gas.

-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Capt knows his business. Ks are needed. Otherwise each baffle will simply push the jet across to the other side of the following cones mouth. Thus retaining the jet within the bore column and offering only small eddies w/o creating any dwell time. Not much better than an expansion chamber w flat baffles.
If there were more pressure or smaller bore, maybe a slanted sidewall like the Site Admin has patented. (Be sure to get permission and pay licensing fee!)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Shawnson

Post by Shawnson »

Capt. Link. wrote:You need to add (D) for none of the above.
The K baffle is King in 45acp and other pistol calibers a ported cone second.Unless you are prototyping and can live with a possible dud I would switch to K baffles or build cones like the the big dogs do.

I think your baffle stack would work better with a higher pressure round.The 45 is one of the hardest rounds to suppress.It has low pressure and needs a large hole for the projectile.

You could also (try) your stack with narrow spacing and move the gas port back to the baffles entrance where it can do the most good with the low pressure gas.

-CL
Better?

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

No reason to switch baffles just porting.Care to fill us in on the details of the build.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

I made a can for a 1911, 9 Ks and it was easily hearing safe.
Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
Shawnson

Post by Shawnson »

Capt. Link. wrote:No reason to switch baffles just porting.Care to fill us in on the details of the build.
-CL
Maybe I miss understood what you where telling me about the cone style baffle. The clip is on the entrance of the cones. What am I missing?

The build will be all titanium with a 17-4 blast baffle. Host is a FNX45T. Tube OD 1.375, ID 1.259. Using a Liberty booster.

I have not decided on a overall length yet but I would like to keep the entire thing under 8.5" with booster.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I would use your frustro-conical baffles and move the port.Just like this one done by Cal50.Plan on 10 baffles.
Shawnson

Post by Shawnson »

Okay either I am missing something really obvious or I just don't understand where you want me to move the port to on this cone.

Just so we are clear, this is the cone that I designed with a better view of the port. Where should I move the port to?

ninoslavt

Post by ninoslavt »

Leave it right there.
Born to be wild!
Pineapple Devil

Post by Pineapple Devil »

Shawnson wrote:Okay either I am missing something really obvious or I just don't understand where you want me to move the port to on this cone.

Just so we are clear, this is the cone that I designed with a better view of the port. Where should I move the port to?

That's fine, it is a copy of the Octane and Griffin Revolution baffle. Those are well performing suppressors, there are quieter though.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Your initial pics looked like the port was 1/8" BELOW the lip.
Yes, you have it just right. Now hopefully you'll get lots of votes on your baffle stack.
I'm partial to "A." But I wouldn't have the cone's mouth so parallel. I'd like a slight taper to deflect gas outward around the cone, rather than letting it slip through to the next cone's mouth.

Also, the "wave effects" will be mitigated w minimal lateral interaction against the baffle sides. The lip should part the jet, not just slice into it. (And yes. I see that you beveled the lip.)

(I'm reserving my vote in case you post E or F options. Otherwise I'll be excluded from future voting. :( )
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

agree Pineapple Devil...that's nothing to poll about , with all resp. to Shawnson , that's silencerco baffle... take a look at octane 45 and you are done ,
i used to share a drawing similar to specwar and omega design before it was dispalyed except the slot cut similar to optimus
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Seems to me the part which isn't quite being conveyed is that your cone wall thickness just below the entry point isn't sufficient to carve a proper port which can direct flow across the bore. The innermost edge of the port should be right on the boreline. When looked at from either end the bore be round, not oval and offset. The port groove itself needs several times the surface area such that it can channel flow effectively across the bore.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Shawnson wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:Your initial pics looked like the port was 1/8" BELOW the lip.

This is how I would port them.The original dose look like the port is below the lip.You might add a few more baffles then the factory made units to increase performance to match or exceed what is offered commercially.
These can be made very thin and still be very strong.Other baffles may be quieter but none are as easy to get right without tuning.It looks like you will have a very nice build with your material list.Please keep us posted on your progress or PM me if you have any questions.
-CL
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

iron.maiden wrote:agree Pineapple Devil...that's nothing to poll about , with all resp. to Shawnson , that's silencerco baffle... take a look at octane 45 and you are done ,
i used to share a drawing similar to specwar and omega design before it was dispalyed except the slot cut similar to optimus

Ahhh a modified Hel M4E baffle, that good old silencer design that was a starting point for most modern frusto cone designs.
All they did for the modern design is machine the spacer on the opposite side for easier machining and some small changes at the shoulder .
Take a good look at that M4E design as it even has the Reversed baffle / blast baffle later called the Hoplon design in it ;-)

As ofter there are good designs out there that are forgotten, but not bad at all.

Gunny
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135514
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

that's right gunny50 , yes similarities with hel design , if had the cuts on top cone it would be a very quiet device , mos of designs are derivatives of old buddies with no smartphones to spent the precious time