Ridged vs. stepped cones

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Ridged vs. stepped cones

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I was commenting on some other topics that got me thinking. So I sketched some ideas. It wasn't germane to those topics, so I'll post here.

(The left pic is the one I'm discussing. The right was for another OP's ?.)

It seems like a series of thin external ribs would act like an "inverse Omega" theory. Trapping gas in pockets along the outside instead of shunting them to a coaxial chamber. Plus, the OD of the ribs mean that they would introduce choked flow.

The top brown rib would be removed. I just left it there b/c it began as a .223 baffle. .308 would need the cone mouth to "part" the jet. And of course, the asymmetric notched mouth.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Other than to stop sitting on my head! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Ridged vs. stepped cones

Post by Bendersquint »

Finns like you have described to not work well in rifle cans, they tend to collapse and not have any notable advantage unless you are paid by the hour for fabricating them.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Bendersquint wrote: not have any notable advantage unless you are paid by the hour for fabricating them.
Ha ha ha!
Kyle O.
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

0101silent wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Finns like you have described to not work well in rifle cans, they tend to collapse and not have any notable advantage unless you are paid by the hour for fabricating them.
It sounds like you and/or other professionals thought this design was a good enough idea to take the time to machine it, but it just wasn't as durable or perform as well as you or other professional suppressor designers expected.
I have buckets FULL of baffle ideas we have tried, along these lines were something we experimented in 2012 with...wasn't worth it for ROI. I know of at least 2 other manufacturers that have explored that concept too and wasn't worth it.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:
0101silent wrote:It sounds like you and/or other professionals thought this design was a good enough idea to take the time to machine it, but it just wasn't as durable or perform as well as you or other professional suppressor designers expected.
I have buckets FULL of baffle ideas we have tried, along these lines were something we experimented in 2012 with...wasn't worth it for ROI. I know of at least 2 other manufacturers that have explored that concept too and wasn't worth it.
Which 2? Since they no longer use them, there shouldn't be any public disclosure conflict.

And what about in pistol cans? Let's consider it for 9mm.
Would lower pressures work better? Or maybe just using them further down the stack after the pressures have lowered?

Sig or Surefire uses Ks w 4 longitudinal braces supporting the single plate. Maybe we could drill holes b/t the fins to create a beehive? Then each would support the rest. :)
The only problem would be carbon fouling if used in the first 2 chambers. So just don't include them there. :wink:
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Which 2? Since they no longer use them, there shouldn't be any public disclosure conflict.

And what about in pistol cans? Let's consider it for 9mm.
Would lower pressures work better? Or maybe just using them further down the stack after the pressures have lowered?

Sig or Surefire uses Ks w 4 longitudinal braces supporting the single plate. Maybe we could drill holes b/t the fins to create a beehive? Then each would support the rest. :)
The only problem would be carbon fouling if used in the first 2 chambers. So just don't include them there. :wink:
Why not test for yourself if you think a major breakthrough is being lost.I'm sort of shocked you are asking B to commit professional suicide w/ disclosure.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Aren't stepped cones covered under Doug Melton's Aztec baffle patent?
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

0101silent wrote:Which 2? Since they no longer use them, there shouldn't be any public disclosure conflict.
If I were going to disclose the manufacturers I would have. More often than not the work done in R&D is worth more protection than the pieces in production.

As the good CPT said, I am not about to commit professional suicide by disclosing data sources.
0101silent wrote:Sig or Surefire uses Ks w 4 longitudinal braces supporting the single plate. Maybe we could drill holes b/t the fins to create a beehive? Then each would support the rest. :)
I am sure that Sig did their reserach and if ports would have improved performance they would be implemented in the baffles.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bendersquint wrote:
0101silent wrote:Which 2? Since they no longer use them, there shouldn't be any public disclosure conflict.
If I were going to disclose the manufacturers I would have. More often than not the work done in R&D is worth more protection than the pieces in production.

As the good CPT said, I am not about to commit professional suicide by disclosing data sources.
0101silent wrote:Sig or Surefire uses Ks w 4 longitudinal braces supporting the single plate. Maybe we could drill holes b/t the fins to create a beehive? Then each would support the rest. :)
I am sure that Sig did their reserach and if ports would have improved performance they would be implemented in the baffles.
+2

"Sources and Methods must be protected at all costs" - from past lives. B & Good Captain are true blue again.
Old oaths never to be broken.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Capt. Link. wrote:I'm sort of shocked you are asking B to commit professional suicide w/ disclosure.
Have you read WR's other posts?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Tony M. wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:I'm sort of shocked you are asking B to commit professional suicide w/ disclosure.
Have you read WR's other posts?
He was probably being kind to both of us.
1st by ascribing innocent naïveté to me.
2nd by conferring professional cover to B. 8)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint wrote:If I were going to disclose the manufacturers I would have. More often than not the work done in R&D is worth more protection than the pieces in production.
Good points. (Darn! :( )