Full Titanium 22LR K Baffle build w/drawings +video

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

propeine
Silent But Deadly

Full Titanium 22LR K Baffle build w/drawings +video

Post by propeine »

22lr 1" x 6" all titanium K baffle can
1" .051 wall GR9 tubing
1" GR 5 bar stock
Drawing shows .281 bore but I went with 17/64 and everything lines up concentric so at the moment I don't plan on opening it up any more.

This was done with SHARP HSS on a Southbend Heavy 10. Sharp is the operative word there. Let it rub for a minute and back to the hone stones you go. I did however use a carbide ball mill.

Drawings first

Other steps including the little workholder I made to do the ball mill scoops and interlocking tabs

Notice the blowout in the bottom left baffle. It was replaced. Judging thickness down in there for the ball mill is very difficult and so is figuring out depth.

This baffle isn't done yet

And on my 22/45 just for show

For good measure to show I'm on the up and up
Finished about 2:30AM one year to the day after I got my stamp approved. Now I'm dog ass tired at work. Should get to shoot it this weekend.

Videos
Ruger 22/45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_pGgypOpE

Savage FV-SR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOk8z4jdvfQ
Last edited by propeine on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Full Titanium 22LR K Baffle build with drawings

Post by Historian »

Masterful!!!

Standing O for clean job and presentation.
Nice way you set up holder for milling on lathe.

If one has a milling attachment*,say on an Atlas 618,
you clamp a 5C square collet holder** and
either insert a 1" 5C collet or insert an ER40 straight chuck***
in the 5C square, allowing use of the full range of collets.

* << http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/mill1.jpg >>

** << http://www.use-enco.com/ProductImages/0967011-23.jpg >>

*** << http://g01.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1dbtlHFXX ... 2-er40.jpg >>
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Sweet build!!!
You've got more patience than most.
Just goes to show that it CAN be done. :D
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Good looking build. Ever had a baffle come loose in the tool holder? I think I'll try that.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Very nice build! Love the ingenuity you used in drilling the baffle.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

I have been machining for 23 years, I have to give you props on the set up in the lathe. I'm impressed.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
montage11

Post by montage11 »

This is great! What is the Weight in ozs?
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Sweet build!!!
You've got more patience than most.
Just goes to show that it CAN be done. :D
I've got more time than money. With only one shot per stamp I can't afford NOT to have patience
fastfire wrote:Good looking build. Ever had a baffle come loose in the tool holder? I think I'll try that.
The tension screws are on the angled portion of the baffles. Its more or less impossible for it to come out. I did have some chatter on one while milling the interlocking tabs. The ball mill didn't give me any issues at all.
L1A1Rocker wrote:Very nice build! Love the ingenuity you used in drilling the baffle.
Thank you! I'm a cheapass at heart.
curtistactical wrote:I have been machining for 23 years, I have to give you props on the set up in the lathe. I'm impressed.
I'm no machinist haha. Engineer by day (previously welder with certs, brake press operator) and fumbly handle cranker at home. Setups are by far the most challenging part for me as I lack the experience. Other than the wedding ring seen in the rifle video this is my first real lathe project in over a decade. Sometimes not knowing the right way to do things is a blessing.
montage11 wrote:This is great! What is the Weight in ozs?
5.2oz per our postage scale at work. The end caps could lose a bit of weight but getting down to 4-4.5 like some commercial cans would take a lot of work and tolerances that scare me on the baffles. I chickened out and some baffles are probably thicker than they need to be.

For Comparison some commercial Ti Suppressors
Tacsol Axiom - 6oz 5.95"
AAC Element - 4.1oz 5.25"
Liberty Regulator 5.5oz 6.5"
PSD Minilith 5.3oz 6"
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Quote; The tension screws are on the angled portion of the baffles. Its more or less impossible for it to come out. I did have some chatter on one while milling the interlocking tabs. The ball mill didn't give me any issues at all.

Thanks for that info.
Again I'm going to use this method when the time comes.

Thanks.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

fastfire wrote:Quote; The tension screws are on the angled portion of the baffles. Its more or less impossible for it to come out. I did have some chatter on one while milling the interlocking tabs. The ball mill didn't give me any issues at all.

Thanks for that info.
Again I'm going to use this method when the time comes.

Thanks.
If you don't have a mill i cannot think of a better way to do it. Post pictures and good luck! Shoot me a message if you need any more details. My boring bar holder is .625 so it's that on one end for about an inch. Other end is 5 thou over baffle diameter. 4 tapped holes. I used 10/32. I didn't show it but I used it in the boring bar holder with the drill bit in the lathe to drill the holes too. It's easy to find center that way and lock your height for when you go to mill the scoops.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: Full Titanium 22LR K Baffle build w/drawings +video

Post by delta9mda »

damn good. sounds like an airgun
NP
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

ONLY problem I see is the accuracy is horrible on the 22/45. You didn't hit that handicapped sign once.

:)

Very nice. You did great.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

CMV wrote:ONLY problem I see is the accuracy is horrible on the 22/45. You didn't hit that handicapped sign once.

:)

Very nice. You did great.
Actually, I am having some accuracy issues with the 22/45. The fv-sr is holding 1/2in- 3/4in with the can on or off. The 22/45 is tumbling occasionally with cci sv despite seeing no indications of baffle strikes. It's 1 or 2 rounds out of 10. Everything looks concentric when sighting down the barrel.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

Would be time consuming for all the setups, but indicate each baffle OD then run a 17/64 chucking reamer through. Make sure your tailstock chuck is perfectly aligned. That should show you and correct any that are off. If that doesn't do it, either do it again with an I drill or a 7mm reamer. I think the drill would just want to follow an off center hole so might not work well without going more oversize than you'd want.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Post by quietoldfart »

In this photograph from your first post in the thread you've got all your ports lined up on the same side:

Perhaps a good thing would be to try flipping every second baffle such that the ports zig-zag down the core, before doing any further machining on the baffles. It looks like your interlocking keys ought to allow for such an arrangement. This would make for symmetrical cross-bore jetting, the pattern I've been using on my airguns and a .22lr pistol with good success, even when the baffles and endcap are bored to just 0.25". It was the suggestion of a friend with long experience of military issue firearms and suppressors that I should alternate for .22lr, but for anything bigger any clipping should be lined up all the same. Perhaps it's the slower velocity combined with low bullet mass which allows some interference with the round's progress down the baffle array?

I have found that there is some bullet tumbling in my .22lr semi-automatic pistol when using CCI Quiet, which show a muzzle velocity of just 570fps from the 4" barrel (total length; about 3" ahead of the bullet itself). Not enough to severely harm accuracy, as I've been able to shoot a couple of grey squirrels with it, one at about 10 feet the other about 20 feet and both impacts were exactly as aimed, both with this slower ammunition. But neither round penetrated the far side of the squirrels, which, considering the muzzle energy and comparing to my airguns, seems to indicate significant bullet tumbling and dissipation of energy inside the animals. When shooting on paper I see oblong holes, varying in shape depending on the distance from the paper. No sign of baffle impacts at all, but when the CCI Quiet lead is recovered from a soft cloth trap it is plain that the rifling grooves have been smoothed on one side of each. My suppressor for that pistol holds 7 K baffles plus a symmetrical blast baffle (though with a Dater hole to one side), the first K baffle also with a small hole (180 degrees to the blast baffle's slightly larger Dater hole), and at the other end a symmetrical endcap with a tapered entry similar to those of the K baffles:

All I can come up with to explain the tumbling of the lower velocity shots is either the uneven number of baffles cause sufficient asymmetry for this effect, or more likely there's a very slight off-centredness to my suppressor. The latter is not showing at all with SV ammunition of any brand so far tested, all shooting at minumum 905fps (Gemtech Silencer Subsonic) and going up to about 1,117fps (Federal SV), with most brands in the 910fps to 940fps range. None of these going above 900fps shows the slightest trace of scrubbing against the endcap nor any baffle, all making perfectly round holes in paper at whatever distance. Another factor could be the rather weak cutting and slow rate of rifling in my Unique D4 pistol (with shortened barrel so that it is now a D2 I suppose). Stability for lower velocities is unlikely with this barrel. In the cases of my various airguns, there is never any problem with such tumbling though I always use a 0.25" bore, at velocities between about 500fps and 770fps with pellets between 14.39gr and 18.13gr.