integral 10/22- what size outer tube and material?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Sevo

integral 10/22- what size outer tube and material?

Post by Sevo »

Hello

I have been a member of this forum since 2013. I have been mostly a lurker and information gatherer. I have made a few .22 suppressors with some good success and I am now wanting to move onto integral 10/22 and was looking for some input from you guys.

I will start by saying I am on 07/02 so my artistic freedom is allowed to flow ;).

-I will uses a standard host 10/22 and cut the barrel down to 8" then weld a sleeve to the barrel so I can press fit and blind pin the outer tube , I want to be able to sell this later and not have the customer do 2 stamps.
- I will use K baffles with a screw on end cap, so it can be cleaned.

My questions are

-what diameter out tube, wall thickness and type of metal do you recommend? I was thinking 316 stainless.

- where have you found the best prices for your seamless tubes?

If you have any suggestions or think my design is bad let me know. I am open to everything.

Thanks guys for the help and great information contained within this board.
07 FFL/O2 SOT
Www.armorersalliance.com
atc250r18

Re: integral 10/22- what size outer tube and material?

Post by atc250r18 »

I used a 1"x.060 316 tube, bought a KIDD pistol barrel and turned it down to a press fit, then pinned and welded the tube to the barrel. Bored out a shrewd muzzle brake and threaded it to be my endcap. I have a foam insert to act as a wiper. The first baffle is Ti the rest are 7075 AL. It turned out very nice.

Some people were concerned with my ability to remove the baffles, so far it hasn't been a problem, I used some 316 filler rod to hook the baffles, they come right out.

I bought my metals from ONLINEMETALS.com

Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

atc250r18 wrote:I used a 1"x.060 316 tube, bought a KIDD pistol barrel and turned it down to a press fit, then pinned and welded the tube to the barrel. Bored out a shrewd muzzle brake and threaded it to be my endcap. I have a foam insert to act as a wiper. The first baffle is Ti the rest are 7075 AL. It turned out very nice.

Some people were concerned with my ability to remove the baffles, so far it hasn't been a problem, I used some 316 filler rod to hook the baffles, they come right out.

I NEVER would have guessed that was a suppressed rifle, especially with the end cap you used. GREAT work!
Sevo

Post by Sevo »

Your build was my inspiration for me wanting to build one. I saw your thread about a month ago and have been figuring it ever since

I saw you did the Kidd barrel and I googled em. They are about 130.00. For my first one I wanted it to be on the cheap and was thinking to use the original barrel. I will use your idea though of turning down a sleeve for the original barrel and slip and pin the outter tube over it.

I really like the brake you made and that idea. It's a great end cap with a purpose.

What is your overall length? 16"? And did you keep the Kidd at 10"?
I am seeing some Cheaper on eBay. It's welded seam does that matter since the pressures are not that high?

What did you make your brake out of?

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your input. I am sure I will ask a few more once I get started

atc250r18 wrote:I used a 1"x.060 316 tube, bought a KIDD pistol barrel and turned it down to a press fit, then pinned and welded the tube to the barrel. Bored out a shrewd muzzle brake and threaded it to be my endcap. I have a foam insert to act as a wiper. The first baffle is Ti the rest are 7075 AL. It turned out very nice.

07 FFL/O2 SOT
Www.armorersalliance.com
atc250r18

Post by atc250r18 »

Welded tubing will be strong enough, I suspect that it won't be as pretty or as round.

I left the barrel at 10 1/2 inches, I had a stock barrel that I was going to use but wanted the full length support that a bull barrel provides. The bull barrel also made a good square mating surface for the baffle stack, otherwise I would have had to machine a spacer and attach it to the end of the barrel. If you went with the stock barrel you could use that extra space for a reflex chamber.

He're is a link to the break.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/mu ... 13070.aspx
They go on sale quite often for about 30 bucks.
Sevo

Post by Sevo »

Thank you for the reply and the link to the brake. It's a nice looking break. I may have to buy one

I'm assuming you bought the 1" version? When looking at the brake in your build I see yours is a male thread. The one you linked is female.

How did you thread your tube? With a tap or did you do it by hand with a single point?

I thought about a reflux. Do you have any suggestions on the best design for it?

I appreciate you taking the time to post.
07 FFL/O2 SOT
Www.armorersalliance.com
atc250r18

Post by atc250r18 »

Sevo wrote:Thank you for the reply and the link to the brake. It's a nice looking break. I may have to buy one

I'm assuming you bought the 1" version? When looking at the brake in your build I see yours is a male thread. The one you linked is female. .
Yup, single point threaded the outside, bored out the inside.

Sevo wrote:How did you thread your tube? With a tap or did you do it by hand with a single point?
Old fashion tap, my lathe is not big enough to cut internal threads on anything greater than 16"
Sevo wrote:I thought about a reflux. Do you have any suggestions on the best design for it?
Haven't got any new ideas, just the stuff everybody else already talks about, use wagon wheel disk on the end of the barrel to center your tube.

Sevo wrote:I appreciate you taking the time to post.
No problem