Med-Large Caliber K-Baffle Design for Subsonics AND High Velocity Ammo

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Med-Large Caliber K-Baffle Design for Subsonics AND High Velocity Ammo

Post by Capt. Link. »

The K baffle is very good in rifle calibers.It sounds quieter than the numbers suggest.Cones don't crush K's will unless you add support.Every baffle spacer designed suppressor will transfer thrust to the front cap unless you do something to prevent it as I do.

AWC made the Thundertrap one of the best K based rifle suppressor.It metered around 27db in 30 caliber 20 plus years ago.The newer clipped cone designs are near 40db and weigh half as much as a K build.By using super alloys the strength and weight issue would be better.With equipment and talent the rifle K could possibly match or exceed newer designs.

Building a hybrid suppressor that uses a combination of cone,clipped cones followed by K baffles is a logical progression along with other baffle combinations.

I currently recommend cones and tell people to clip them to increase performance if needed.The reason is they are easier to build to high performance while K's require more skill to reach peak levels.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

Capt. Link. wrote: Building a hybrid suppressor that uses a combination of cone,clipped cones followed by K baffles is a logical progression along with other baffle combinations.
-CL
I absolutely have to try this! :mrgreen:
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

daviscustom wrote:It would seem logical that if you can create a K that will work well and hold up to the pressure of supersonic rounds...it should be a given that it will work well for subs...assuming the design mods to the K are not so significant as to make it less effective for subs. I believe some folks here have had positive results with a mix of cones for the blast portion of the can and K's for the remainder.

As gasses travel through the suppressor, pressure drops as you get closer to the front cap.

Here is a Russian K baffle that seems to do well with HV ammo.

Gunny
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135514
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Post by fastfire »

Those K's look to be supported by the angle of the face or back flange.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The light pressure resisting construction is a marvel of engineering.I wonder how well it works.

The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

The X-ray seems to be showing deeply clipped ends on all but the last 'cone' but no waist vents. Instead the faces of each K baffle are drilled perhaps two dozen times, with what looks like about a 1/16" drill. The last mini-cone also looks drilled a number of times with the same drill, the holes angling towards the exit. Are those assessments correct? If so... interesting...
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

a_canadian wrote:The X-ray seems to be showing deeply clipped ends on all but the last 'cone' but no waist vents. Instead the faces of each K baffle are drilled perhaps two dozen times, with what looks like about a 1/16" drill. The last mini-cone also looks drilled a number of times with the same drill, the holes angling towards the exit. Are those assessments correct? If so... interesting...
You are correct in your assessment.I have some pictures of these that Gunny put up and will post them when found.These are fantastic as flame arrestors as the drilled "faces" allow passage of gas but not the flame.I have never seen a whole suppressor made this way but have seen these used as blast baffles/arrestors.I imagine that made from high temperature materials the sag would be low with this baffle design as it supports itself.
-CL
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

One thing to make sure of when using k baffles on a centerfire rifle is that you use a thick enough tube. With cone baffles you are adding another inner tube to help support the main tube when the baffles are stacked together. With the k baffle gas is pressurizing on the main tube via the mouse hole. At first this may not seem like anything to be concerned about but you will get more pressure from the mouse hole than one might think. Our main 762 suppressor uses 2 cones behind 3 k baffles, during testing on full auto the suppressor shows the most signs of heat right around the first mouse hole chamber, at about the 6th mag of full auto the suppressor will get a dull glow right in the area of the first k baffle. The idea of the spacer to support the k baffle actually works very well, we use an altered design of that for our Kestrel 762 k baffle upgrades since we cant use our standard design of threading the baffles together to strengthen them. With the spacer you are adding a secondary tube support also which will help with tube failure as a cone baffle does.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Pat M
Silent But Deadly

Post by Pat M »

Image(not mine pictured but same) I have a Coastal 7.62 suppressor, removable K's, heavy but a tank work very well on 308, 260 and on my 300 win mag, 190gr running 3100fps + all good and can run without ears (i posted pics somewhere here - will post link if i find it)