.22 freeze plug cleaning

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

.22 freeze plug cleaning

Post by rem_pss308 »

I have a specta II and love it. but this year I did a form 1 build from solvent trap and steel freeze plugs. its 2 inches longer and a little larger in diameter. but decimal levels are close to the spectra II with a cheap decimal reader.

however I have about 2000-3000 rounds thru it and the baffles. are full of lead. the blast baffle looked like it was deformed. I used a map gas torch and melted the lead off it. and it was not deformed. I tried sand blasting the lead out. and it didn't do much good.

has anyone used the dip on non stainless freeze plugs. will it harm them. if so how much. If I can get them clean again. I wont go this long before cleaning.
I'll keep my money, My Guns, and My Freedom. You can keep the change !!!!
fastfire
Silent But Deadly

Re: .22 freeze plug cleaning

Post by fastfire »

Stainless+dip=ok
sub-sonic
Silent But Deadly

Post by sub-sonic »

some reading material from 2005

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=561
I have two hobbies. Shooting and reloading. The more I do of one the more I can do of the other.
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

update:

put the non stainless .22 rimfire freeze plug baffles in a 1/2 hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 vinegar dip overnight. all lead removed. rinsed baffles good. once dry they started to rust quickly. I did not see any erosion from the dip. but that doesn't mean it wont happen when done often. put baffles in my vibrating shell cleaner. they came out looking good. oiled them and put them back in can.

I wont be letting them get that dirty and lead filled again. don't want to waste the tax stamp on damaged pieces.
I'll keep my money, My Guns, and My Freedom. You can keep the change !!!!