Sten MK II Silencer

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

reservist123

Sten MK II Silencer

Post by reservist123 »

I have a Sten MK II silencer tube. I need help to build content. I had a original from WW II and that worked well with all kinds of ammo.
Has anybody got drawings, spesifications etc. so hat I can build a similar silencer?

Regards
reservist123
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sten MK II Silencer

Post by Capt. Link. »

reservist123 wrote:I have a Sten MK II silencer tube. I need help to build content. I had a original from WW II and that worked well with all kinds of ammo.
Has anybody got drawings, spesifications etc. so hat I can build a similar silencer?

Regards
reservist123
I pray the tube has paper or your out of the states.Stainless K baffles are what you want.The original designs require maintenance and replacement of parts frequently.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
reservist123

Post by reservist123 »

Thanks for your quick respons. I'm living in Norway. You can buy silencers over the desk her. No troublesome paperwork.
I used my mother's Sten from the war when I was 14 yrs old and was given one when I was commisoned.
The silencer I had I sold a looong time ago. (silly me)
How does the K baffels fit into the tube and on to the barrel? Do I need to drill holes in the barrel?
I would reall like to make it a copy as real as possible.
When I get around to it I will send some pictures.
All the best and good luck with your Presidental election.
Regards
Me
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

reservist123 wrote:Thanks for your quick respons. I'm living in Norway. You can buy silencers over the desk her. No troublesome paperwork.
I used my mother's Sten from the war when I was 14 yrs old and was given one when I was commisoned.
The silencer I had I sold a looong time ago. (silly me)
How does the K baffels fit into the tube and on to the barrel? Do I need to drill holes in the barrel?
I would reall like to make it a copy as real as possible.
When I get around to it I will send some pictures.
All the best and good luck with your Presidental election.
Regards
Me
Sten guns are very popular.You can build a suppressor that outwardly looks original and have modern baffles.The use of rope and canvas heat shields help cover any deception.You will need a new bolt if you are converting a UN-suppressed Sten as the weights are different.I believe a modified barrel nut is used normally for suppressor tube attachment.The use of porting would be optional.Pictures are always welcome.

Politicians and proctologist's both have a air about them.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
reservist123

Post by reservist123 »

Thanks again. My last MK II had a ordinary steel bolt and worked fine with all sorts of 9 mm ammo
and silencer. I have used old German WWII ammo British WWII ammo all sorts of Swedish Norwegian and American ammo.
Some ammo so "hard" that Norwegian Army did not recommend this in pistols only in MP 5 etc.
Best ammo I have used was Swedish "M 39" or somthing like that, this was ment for the Lathi pistol.
Geco also had some good ammo in the 70's fro silencers. But back to basic type of ammo is irrelevant in a good original
MK II silencer. This is why I want to make one as close to the original as possible. If I just wanted a silenced gun
I woul go to the nearest petroleum station and get me a oil filter. Or asparagues tin fille with "steel wool" made in the
kitchen in minutes. Yorks well but my wife gets a bit upset when I turn kitchen into hobbyroom.
Surley there mist be someone out ther that has the real thing or drawings.....
Tomorrw I will take my things apart and send some pictures. So in approx 24 hrs from now around 2000 hrs Norwegian time
you will see what is what.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

reservist123 wrote:Thanks again. My last MK II had a ordinary steel bolt and worked fine with all sorts of 9 mm ammo
and silencer. I have used old German WWII ammo British WWII ammo all sorts of Swedish Norwegian and American ammo.
Some ammo so "hard" that Norwegian Army did not recommend this in pistols only in MP 5 etc.
Best ammo I have used was Swedish "M 39" or somthing like that, this was ment for the Lathi pistol.
Geco also had some good ammo in the 70's fro silencers. But back to basic type of ammo is irrelevant in a good original
MK II silencer. This is why I want to make one as close to the original as possible. If I just wanted a silenced gun
I woul go to the nearest petroleum station and get me a oil filter. Or asparagues tin fille with "steel wool" made in the
kitchen in minutes. Yorks well but my wife gets a bit upset when I turn kitchen into hobbyroom.
Surley there mist be someone out ther that has the real thing or drawings.....
Tomorrw I will take my things apart and send some pictures. So in approx 24 hrs from now around 2000 hrs Norwegian time
you will see what is what.
The baffle stack of the original had variations in how it was built.For safety reasons I would at least add baffle spacers to keep the baffles aligned as the tie rods were a weak point in the design.I will try to find some information for you on doing a historical reproduction.The second picture is a modern version of the original flat plate design.The perforated barrel is wrapped with steel or bronze mesh.
ImageImage
Enfield577
Silent But Deadly

Post by Enfield577 »

Hi, here is how you do it with modern K baffles. You need a spare barrel nut then weld a steel tube to it to make the can.

Fill it with Aluminium K baffles and it will be very quiet with sub sonic ammo

I don't still have the drawings but you should be able to scale up off the photos

You see the start shape fitting, that is to support the end of the barrel and give it the reflex chamber to the rear

Cheers

Of all the things I've lost it's my mind I miss the most
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Silencer's, Principles and Evaluations Published by the US Army:

https://archive.org/stream/milmanual-si ... 3/mode/2up
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Silencer's, Principles and Evaluations Published by the US Army:

https://archive.org/stream/milmanual-si ... 3/mode/2up
From the link above: Variations exist!
reservist123

Post by reservist123 »

Dear all of you who helped me in this little silencer question. I am suprised over how many nice people out there in cyber world
who can and will help.
A little obserbvation I have made is that all original MKII S (and there were many) paradropped into Norway during WWII
had apperently ordinary steel bolts. Some silencers were supplied without gun. So these some guns then had 2 barrels.
But the silencers worked very well with hard English/German war ammo and steel bolt.
Bronze bolt I have not seen in Norway. Belive you me I've seen a few Stens. I must find out, I have a collecter friend who has
a large collection of silenced WWI guns, he would know. Pictures? We will see.[img][img][/img][/img]
Yesterday I promised to enclose some pictures but my PC level is not high so I better get my son inlaw to hlep me.
But a quick sitrap is:
Tested the silencer I have with 4 different types of 9mm.
Geco civilian 9mm and then Army 9mm for SMG and then Army 9mm for pistol and last but not
least WW II German pistol/SMG ammo. Geco was by far the best and the worst was German. LOUD and nice flash.
But first the silencer I had was not a dummy, but the content was no good. It did not suppress much..
So K baffels is the thing.
Again thanks friend and "I'll be back"

The Sten I have has a steel bolt and worked well with silencer.
Interesting to see if K baffels wll change this.

Tomorrow I must find a local shop to make me some baffels.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

This isn't rocket science. The Sten silencer is large enough for simple M-baffles, a friend of mine made a dozen or so replicas this way and they worked just fine. They were made for the Kongsberg-barrels with threaded muzzle, this secured the barrel to the silencer and provided better alignment.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Capt. Link. wrote:The baffle stack of the original had variations in how it was built.For safety reasons I would at least add baffle spacers to keep the baffles aligned as the tie rods were a weak point in the design.I will try to find some information for you on doing a historical reproduction.The second picture is a modern version of the original flat plate design.The perforated barrel is wrapped with steel or bronze mesh.
ImageImage
I had one of those Burgess silencers for my 76-45 and it was a little different than that one. The baffles were stacked so that each was rotated ninety degrees from the last. The area around the ported barrel was filled with (IIRC) crushed aluminum grommets. It rattled like a mariachi but it suppressed full auto fire really well.