Build Pictures: 300 Blackout, Ti and 17-4PH

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

dagamore

Re: Build Pictures: 300 Blackout, Ti and 17-4PH

Post by dagamore »

Thanks for that reply. :D No worries on the trade secret stuff.
BRL

Post by BRL »

Can I ask what hand guard that is and the length? IIRC from your design thread this was an 8.5" barrel, correct? Twist rate?

Nice Job, I'm envious of the machining capabilities.
daPhoosa
Silent Operator

Post by daPhoosa »

Can I ask what hand guard that is and the length? IIRC from your design thread this was an 8.5" barrel, correct? Twist rate?

Nice Job, I'm envious of the machining capabilities.
Thanks!

Hand guard is an 9" model made by Aero Precision and mounted to their M4E1 upper. I considered getting a 12" hand guard to cover more of the supressor, but I've been pretty happy with this length now that it is all assembled.

The barrel is an 8.5" long model made by McGowan with a 1-8 twist.
My form 1 build: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136387
BRL

Post by BRL »

Thank you. I had also been thinking a 12" guard over a short battle but have recently changed my mind to a 9". Not only do I like the look but it keeps the weight down that much more.

I'm glad to hear Aero makes a HG that goes over a can. Another choice over Seekins and YHM.

I also really appreciate the info on the 8.5" barrel. 7.5" seems the most prevalent and I wanted to go a bit longer without going to 10.5". The 1/8 twist is what I want too. Now if I'm lucky enough to find it in stock which has also been a challenge on short barrels.
daPhoosa
Silent Operator

Post by daPhoosa »

Another option for a hand guard that has an 1.75 ID (like Seeking and Aero Precision) is one sold by Primary arms. It often goes for sale fot $100.

My can is 1.625 OD and I have a perfect 1/16" gap between it and my HG.

I will probably add a mini hand stop at the end of the HG to keep my hand from falling off the end and accidentally touching a hot can. With a 12" rail, this wouldn't be needed unless you had really long arms. The nice thing about the 9" hand guard is that I can get a better grip on the can to remove it, and I can install my blast shield easily.

Saving weight with the shorter rail is nice, but even with a light can like mine, it is front heavy. I can't imagine guns with a 16" barrel and 20oz or heavier can attached (unless it was a DMR or bolt action). So if you're other wise inclined to go with a 12" rail, I wouldn't let and extra ounce or two scare you off.

Regards,

Phillip
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Beautiful build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
daPhoosa
Silent Operator

Post by daPhoosa »

Updated:

It's been almost 5 years since I designed and built this suppressor. I've shot roughly 2k rounds through it. A pretty even mix of supers and subs. It has performed perfectly. On an outdoor range, the sound of hitting steel targets seems louder than the gun to anyone who is not right next to the gun (i.e. the shooter). Shooting subs at a steel target at 100 yards is fun due to the time of flight (and time for return sound) taking a "long" time. Other guys at the range described it as "throwing rocks" at the steel target. Super are obviously louder, but seem very comparable to suppressors like the Omega 300 in informal testing. Overall I'm quite happy with this design. Given the tools and knowledge I had at the time, I don't think I'd do anything differently.

I would like to build another suppressor that is even lighter while also making it a reflex design (sealing on the gas block journal just ahead of the gas block). Unfortunately this new design requires Tig welding and my Tig skills are terrible. Oh well, I may just have to dive in and make it work. I also have plans for a 6.5 creedmoor supressor...
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

This has always been one of my favorite builds on here. The “tube” design is something I’ve been wanting to do, Since it’s bigger that I normally work with, I’ve been waiting on a paying job to come in so I can justify purchasing the drill and boring bar.
It's time to switch to whiskey, we've been drinkin' beer all night.