Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3345
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Historian » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:08 pm

On the UK program "Wheelers & Dealers" Mike took a set of
rims to a shop to have them refurbished as cost new ones were
out of the question. The machinist was using diamond turning tools
on his lathe and the finish was superb. Would not have got that
from HSS or carbide tools.

Had not heard of diamond turning tools
before.

Channeling Toad in "Wind in the Willows" when I escape from
Badger I shall order one.


<< http://www.technodiamant.com/Synthetic_ ... nserts.htm >>

User avatar
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:22 am

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by curtistactical » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:41 pm

Historian wrote:On the UK program "Wheelers & Dealers" Mike took a set of
rims to a shop to have them refurbished as cost new ones were
out of the question. The machinist was using diamond turning tools
on his lathe and the finish was superb. Would not have got that
from HSS or carbide tools.

Had not heard of diamond turning tools
before.

Channeling Toad in "Wind in the Willows" when I escape from
Badger I shall order one.


<< http://www.technodiamant.com/Synthetic_ ... nserts.htm >>
I work at a shop where we manufacture diamond cutting tools http://sp3cuttingtools.com/ . Diamond is only used to cut cut non-ferrous materials like aluminum. The diamond has a very non porous surface compared to carbide which keeps it from gaulding up and allows extremely high feeds and speeds. You can actually chip the cutting edge just by rubbing micrometers over it to check size so it is brittle.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02

Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3345
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Historian » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 pm

Thank you Curtistactical for the clarification. Indeed the
wheels that were being restored were aluminum.

Many thanks for being the realistic 'Badger' to my "wow, new shiny tool,
must have" Toad. Saved money for future fun.

Oops, is that a new Bentley motor car .... :)

Best

User avatar
cal50
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:15 am

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by cal50 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 pm

We use to use a diamond tipped boring bar on glass filled Teflon parts. The diamond holds up well on abrasive materials.
Diamond and ceramic inserts do not like interrupted cuts / shock or impact loads unless technology has changed.
Branded for life, in more ways than one

Fulmen
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Fulmen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 pm

The biggest problem with diamond is that it really doesn't do well on ferreous materials. As I understand it this has to do with carbons solubility in iron, basically iron will erode diamond pretty quickly as the temperature rises.

BinaryAndy
Silent Operator
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by BinaryAndy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:04 am

Fulmen wrote:The biggest problem with diamond is that it really doesn't do well on ferreous materials. As I understand it this has to do with carbons solubility in iron, basically iron will erode diamond pretty quickly as the temperature rises.
This. Diamond is the best thing out there for machining aluminum and other non-ferrous materials. It will break down almost immediately in steel.

If you want a top-notch finish in steel, look at cermets. There can be some compatibility issues with some kinds of cermet and some kinds of stainless, but the right cermet used correctly can produce a near-mirror finish on steel, and quickly.
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02

Fulmen
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Fulmen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:40 am

On the subject of Cermets:
Last year at a large flea / used marked there was a guy selling carbide drills that were ground to handle both stone and metal. He of course impressed people by drilling holes in everything from hard steel to bricks. A few stands over there is a guy selling used tools, endmills and carbide inserts. He sent a person over to get the hole in a large cermet insert opened up a bit :mrgreen:

Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3345
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Historian » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:12 am

Fulmen wrote:On the subject of Cermets:
Last year at a large flea / used marked there was a guy selling carbide drills that were ground to handle both stone and metal. He of course impressed people by drilling holes in everything from hard steel to bricks. A few stands over there is a guy selling used tools, endmills and carbide inserts. He sent a person over to get the hole in a large cermet insert opened up a bit :mrgreen:
Would you please elaborate ... do you mean to assert that the cermet insert was weak or strong.

Thanks.

Historian
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3345
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Historian » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:37 pm

<< https://www.secotools.com/CorpWeb/Downl ... eading.pdf >>

Inside this interesting compendium of cutters are Thread Cutting Data on the Number of Passes
and Infeed Depths for UN Threads or Metric:

E.x.: EXTERNAL:

for 28 TPI: .024/.007/.006/.004/.004/.003 inches
or 24 TPI: .028/.007/.007/.006/.005/.003 inches

INTERNAL:

for 28 TPI: .022/.007/.005/.004/.003/.003 inches
or 24 TPI: .025/.007/.006/.005/.004/.003 inches

Fulmen
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1045
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 am

Re: Synthetic & Natural Diamond Turning Tools and Inserts

Post by Fulmen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:20 pm

I just remembered it wasn't cermet, it was ceramic :oops: . You can't drill that with carbide, the insert came back good as new. I doubt the drill bit was any use afterwards.

Historian: That's pretty much how I do it as well. Not that I have any table or fixed number of passes, but I start out with up to half the depth and back off as I get close. This is something that you have to figure out by trial and error, it will depend on your lathe, the tooling, material and setup and probably the phase of the moon.

Post Reply