Form 1 integrals

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rickdavis

Form 1 integrals

Post by rickdavis »

Going to form 1 an integral Savage 22 and Ruger 22/45.
For the Savage I was thinking cut the barrel down to 4.5" to keep everything sub and have the suppressor at 12" to keep length at 16.5" so I can pin the tube or monocore and keep it at 1 stamp. Would you do a monocore or k baffle stack?
On the 22/45 I'm not sure what to cut it at. I'd like to keep velocity up around 1000 and maintain accuracy. Any suggestions on lengths? 7-8"? What about baffle designs? Mono or k's? I've looked at several different designs and want maximum suppression with accuracy too.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 1 integrals

Post by a_canadian »

Do a lot of study on K designs. For .22lr those are going to get you optimum suppression. As for barrel length, anything over about 6" should preserve ~1,000fps with something like CCI SV. You'll want at least 5" to 6" of baffles to render something quiet, with a simple backflow-encouraging blast baffle and vented spacer to get initial pressure pushed back into the over the barrel volume. Leaving it at a 6" barrel but boring a few small holes about an inch back from the muzzle will put that volume to better use. Of course you'll need to carefully deburr the inner edges of the holes, a tricky job, but vital to preserve accuracy. Barrel porting offers better initial pressure drop than just a vented plug. I've used this method with surprising success in an air rifle and very tiny monocore, reducing the report from borderline painful indoors to something very polite. Look around at various integrally suppressed Ruger pistol builds. Most use porting.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

My buddy has a Thompson Machine Operative, and it is quiet. Big mono core in a fixed "tube". If you have the capability to machine an +8" mono core, that would be the way to go.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
rickdavis

Post by rickdavis »

I can do a longer monocore. I'd prefer one over k's just for ease of manufacturing unless the k's provide better suppression. Do you happen to know the length and diameter of the Thompson machine?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

This picture gives a fair idea of the proportions and design of the Operative. And since they state the barrel OD (suppressor tube OD) as 0.920" that helps more in getting a sense of what it takes to achieve their level of success with this system.

BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BCJ »

I used a 5.5" stainless 10/22 barrel when I built my savage MKII integral to keep things subsonic. The rest of the length was simple cone baffels for 11.5". It's stupid quiet

The 22/45 was the first suppressor I built. I kept the factory 5.5" barrel length and added 4.5" of cone baffels after it. I did turn down the hill barrel some to have more volume in the suppressor

0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

Who is machining monocores these days?

I'd like to do a .45 integral on a mauser action.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I would recommend K's over monocores for integrals. Performance is better all around.