Extended Nose K-Baffle

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mcrump
Senior Silent Operator

Extended Nose K-Baffle

Post by mcrump »

Has anyone tried an extended nose k-baffle? Seems like there might be a greater disruption of gas flow, especially if the baffles were rotated 90 degrees from each other. Opinions?

Has anyone tried an extended nose k-baffle? Seems like there might be a greater disruption of gas flow, especially if the baffles were rotated 90 degrees from each other. Opinions?
Spectrum Tactical Solutions
FFL 01/SOT/07 license holder
Master Machinist
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Extended Nose K-Baffle

Post by quietoldfart »

Yes, I did try that, though not quite as extended as your drawing illustrates. I tried about 0.25" of extra 'nose' in a set of short K baffles for a .22lr suppressor. It may have been slightly louder than with the more normal nose, but my metering showed it to be quite close and my ears couldn't decide. Not as significant a difference as when I tried cutting off the standard nose your first drawing shows so as to leave about a 2mm flat around the entry to the bore. That experiment proved significantly louder, worse at suppression. I can not recall which thread it was, but some expert here within the past several months mentioned something regarding keeping the metal along the bore to a minimum. Perhaps it was LavaRed? Or Capt Link? In any case, my memory is telling me that the reasoning went that the less metal adjacent to the projectile, the more opportunity for gases to escape outward, where more metal along the bore tended to preserve forward flow and reduce turbulence. Your extended nose obviously increases the bore-adjacent metal rather considerably. Might be worth taking that into account.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I've made them similar but not nearly as long as what you have pictured. Maybe .075" longer than the edge of the face. I'd worry about accuracy/stabilization issues running through that many long 'tunnels'. Depends on bore diameter I guess.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Titsworth's X-caliber baffles are done this way

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

According to the nfatalk charts, the x-caliber rates at 116.88dB with Gemtech silencer subs. Comparable to the Sparrow and a few other high end cans. Doesn't strange me me as being all that long a nose. The extra face detail offers another step to interrupt flow.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

57fairlane: As are jet-z and some euro models.
I would think that a cone would be better than a parallel tube.
I;ve contemplated some w a 'ledge' inside of the cone midway down.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314