What happened to the mouse hole!

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

What happened to the mouse hole!

Post by Capt. Link. »

A few years back manufactures stopped using mouse holes in K pistol suppressors.At about the same time K baffles were fazed out in centerfire suppressors in favor of cone designs.Has anyone done testing with sound equipment to determine if mouse holes in K baffles benefited suppression in centerfire rifle calibers or not.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: What happened to the mouse hole!

Post by curtistactical »

I have never tried them without a mouse hole at all but keeping them on the smaller side diameter wise and not breaking through as much really helps on high pressure rounds. We still run K's in the front half of our 762 suppressors, we use cones for 556. Our big bore sub sonic rifle cans are k baffle with a larger mouse hole. Our magnum cans are coaxial cone style.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:A few years back manufactures stopped using mouse holes in K pistol suppressors.At about the same time K baffles were fazed out in centerfire suppressors in favor of cone designs.Has anyone done testing with sound equipment to determine if mouse holes in K baffles benefited suppression in centerfire rifle calibers or not.
-CL
What cans are you talking about? Which part of the baffle are you calling the mouse hole?

Every recognized K baffle can curently has a dater hole in blast baffle and the mouse holes in the skirt.
quietoldfart
Senior Silent Operator

Post by quietoldfart »

As I have understood this matter of nomenclature for some time, this baffle has a mouse hole:

These baffles do not:

It's baffling to me (sorry, couldn't resist) how even top industry experts seem unable to find some sort of agreement on the naming of these holes. At first I was confused as well, as people seemed to be calling all manner of holes 'mouse holes,' but eventually it seemed clear enough that the naming of this particular kind of hole came from the classic base-of-the-wall mouse hole as seen in various old cartoons. A doorway with an arched top. The cut into the widest part of the skirt, or cone, of a K baffle, is shaped much the same as these cartoon doorways used by cartoon mice, hence the name. The hole at the waist seemed most commonly to be called a 'vent' or 'exhaust port' which followed sensibly enough on the initial face cut which feeds it pressure. That face cut too is inconsistently named, nothing really satisfying seems to have been chosen for that one, though it's common to almost all K baffle designs.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I use standard terminology in what a mouse hole is.I have never seen one in a pistol caliber made by any manufacturer in years.

I have always used a mouse hole for centerfire rifle along with supporting the skirt of the K with the following baffle face to re-enforce the skirt from implosion.I have never understood why people tend to build these with a larger face as it weighs more.I no longer have my testing equipment so wanted to ask.

A mouse hole in a K baffle skirt.

another mouse hole
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Ah, gotcha...thats what I figured.

The most recent one I have seen commercially was a Tactical Innovations can. I tested some a few years ago and didn't seen any benefit, in fact the bigger the bore the louder it was.