22-250 silencer

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Namgun

22-250 silencer

Post by Namgun »

Is there somebody that have plans for a silencer for a 22-250. I want to build my own but need more info on where to start. At the moment I have one with only to plates inside, so I know that's not the way to go. We shoot at 200 - 350metres. We shoot mostly springbuck.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Re: 22-250 silencer

Post by curtistactical »

I would make it 1.5" OD and around 7"-8" long with 8-10 clipped cones and about a 1.25"-1.5" blast chamber. This would be plenty of suppressor for hunting and you could keep the weight down.
Joe
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

Thank you for reply. Do you have any pictures of this build. What material did you use for this? At the moment mine is a steel one with 2 plates inside with single holes. It will help a lot if I can get sound down more.
Hasdrubal

Post by Hasdrubal »

I read this forum daily for over a year before I registered. Go through old threads, especially the completed builds thread. Pretty much all the information you could ask for except in most cases dimensioned blueprints can be found if you just look around. I know I found everything I've needed so far, and have used the knowledge to make two completed units so far.
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

Thanx, I done that. I see a lot of silencers been build, to build one in Namibia, to get all the material and specs is a problem. So best way to learn is to ask some times. I do not want to start a thing and do a trail and error silencer. A lot of people did build some and did not work and at end of day I hope to get best results from a pro. I also been running thru forum for results on a build for 22-250, so it would help if you can indicate to me on witch page I can find it, as I am new to this.
curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

Take a look through this link, you will find a lot of information here. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Hasdrubal

Post by Hasdrubal »

You said two plates, do you mean like flat plates? Do you have the tools to make cones, or to weld thin steel? I was looking at the SD tactical tubes and endcaps until I decided to just buy a lathe and learn some basic metalworking. Enough people have had success using formed freeze plugs that if you can order from them, you shouldn't have to worry about performance.

If you do have a lathe, then you can make the cones to whatever size you need. I have yet to see someone post on here that they made a centerfire rifle silencer using 60 degree cones and found out it didn't work.
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

Thank you again for reply. Jip I only had in two flats. It do bring down sound a bid, but, but not what I see on this site. We do a lot of shooting day and night, so want to scare the bucks as little as possible. Also get it down for ears and less kick back will help.
Tools is not a problem, normal lathe and rest I can ask some body to help. The material is the hardest to find, need to bring in from South Africa.
Hasdrubal

Post by Hasdrubal »

Interesting, I wonder if you could salvage materials from car parts? There have been some completed builds on this site using car muffler tubing, and I would be curious if you could find a driveshaft or axle of the right size for the cones? Not sure what materials are common for those, or what the heat treat might be.
BinaryAndy
Silent Operator

Post by BinaryAndy »

22-250 is very similar, as far as suppressor design is concerned, to 308. 60-degree cone baffles in a 1.5-inch tube would be the typical choice.

There are indeed a lot of car parts that could be machined into baffles and end caps if that makes sourcing your metal easier, but I wouldn't want to try exhaust tubing for a rifle can. It's usually on the thin side (plus, the ID would be coated in nasty exhaust residue).
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

Could I use aluminium seamless pipe with a thicker wall, and at the same time aluminium solid bar to do cones? the caps I think to go for stainless steel. I can try and get some material from south Africa, will take a day or two.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Namgun wrote:Could I use aluminium seamless pipe with a thicker wall, and at the same time aluminium solid bar to do cones? the caps I think to go for stainless steel. I can try and get some material from south Africa, will take a day or two.
Using aluminum tubing for a pressure tube is not advised with a 65,000 psi chamber pressure cartridge.A carbon steel or stainless steel seamless tube will last much longer under the high stress and high heat load the 22-250 will create.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

I will than go for stainless. Thanx for info, will start a design.
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

One more question, when do you use k-baffles and when clipped cones? I want to see more pictures on designs on mentioned site, but they are no longer available, is there somewhere else a site where they are saved? Where can I also get more info on the 101 of silencer manufacturing?
Hasdrubal

Post by Hasdrubal »

Here's a few more pages I found useful. Generally what I see around here is that cones are preferred for centerfire rifle velocities, and k baffles are preferred for pistol or rimfire. I saw one build a while back that had cones, then k's for a 300 blackout. Photos tend to be hosted on photobucket or similar sites, and don't stay on those forever. I try to save the image files when I can remember for future reference.

http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=68&start=0

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63889

viewtopic.php?t=35528

http://www.silencerresearch.com/sound_s ... rifles.htm

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136120

The last one actually has some drawings with dimensions.
Namgun

Post by Namgun »

Whow, this is just what I need, thanx a lot.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

I use my 223 cans on my 22-250. as long as the barrel is long the pressure is not an issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA