What part to engrave

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

esh21167

What part to engrave

Post by esh21167 »

I just finished a Form 1 5.56 suppressor and was going to get the tube engraved. A friend mentioned getting the end cap that attaches to the firearm engraved. That led me to wonder if I could get the exit end cap engraved. Any pros/cons for any of these ideas?

Obligatory pics also. First pic shows the '1st Gen' adapters that didn't fit as I hoped, and one end cap installed. Second shows the final adapter. Bought the 1.5 OD x 6" long TI tube from Apogee. Machined all the other components from Grade 5 TI. 11.7 oz.

Of course, there will still be the supersonic crack, but for this (my first build), I just wanted some attenuation and to reduce recoil for the ladies in my family. It should be hearing safe.

Last edited by esh21167 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: What part to engrave

Post by quiettime »

The reason you don't engrave the front cap is because it is the most likely to be damaged in baffle strike. You do not want to damage the serialized part beyond repair. That is bad, as it will require a new tax stamp.

Clipping of those cones will increase performance quite a bit. Mill away half the cone 1/8" or so deep
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

quiettime wrote:The reason you don't engrave the front cap is because it is the most likely to be damaged in baffle strike. You do not want to damage the serialized part beyond repair. That is bad, as it will require a new tax stamp.

Clipping of those cones will increase performance quite a bit. Mill away half the cone 1/8" or so deep

Just do NOT clip the blastbaffle...

Gunny
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

gunny50 wrote:
Like every commercial US can does :lol:
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

quiettime wrote:
gunny50 wrote:
Like every commercial US can does :lol:
Not only in the US and there is a reason for that.
There are also US cans that do but mostly because of their baffle shape.

Gunny
300sniper
Silent Operator

Post by 300sniper »

Deleted per request.
Last edited by 300sniper on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time to switch to whiskey, we've been drinkin' beer all night.
esh21167

Post by esh21167 »

quiettime wrote:The reason you don't engrave the front cap is because it is the most likely to be damaged in baffle strike. You do not want to damage the serialized part beyond repair. That is bad, as it will require a new tax stamp.

Can you give a sketch or other direction on your clipping suggestion? Thanks.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

esh21167

Post by esh21167 »

Thanks. I thought that was what you meant, but no question now. I'm going to try that.