What is needed in addition to a Form 1?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

chrismunn

What is needed in addition to a Form 1?

Post by chrismunn »

For building / manufacturing my own suppressor, is there any other paperwork aside from the form1 that is required? The suppressor will be for me.

BTW, hi guys, new here.

I'm not entirely familiar with NFA or classIII weapons. Do I need to have an FFL or be part of a trust in order to be allowed to submit a Form 1 and ultimately (after the manufacture) be in possession of a suppressor?

I don't currently own any classIII weapons nor have I ever but I would like to know what exactly is required of me as an individual in order to manufacture and own these items?

Sorry, I know these questions probably come up over and over again?
chrismunn

Re: What is needed in addition to a Form 1?

Post by chrismunn »

On a side note, I see this banner ad for wildcat trusts. Reading thru the ad leads me to believe that yes I do in fact need a trust to be eligible for a Form 1 build? With the new NFA rules about to go into effect, should I be expedient in acquiring a trust and submitting a Form 1???
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

chrismunn wrote:On a side note, I see this banner ad for wildcat trusts. Reading thru the ad leads me to believe that yes I do in fact need a trust to be eligible for a Form 1 build? With the new NFA rules about to go into effect, should I be expedient in acquiring a trust and submitting a Form 1???
The new rule is already in effect. Only you can decide whether the benefits of a trust are worth it to you.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

What other options are there aside from a trust?
3strucking
Silent Operator

Post by 3strucking »

You can file as a trust, business, or individual. You should read up on the pros and cons before you decide which one to use.
Fulliautomatix
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulliautomatix »

Nothing other than the Form 1 is needed for your build. For NFA items in general, you can apply for them as an individual, corporation, or trust. As mentioned above, that's up to you, and will only impact how you fill out the Form 1
Speak softly, and carry a big stick.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

So I'm free to go ahead and fill out a Form 1, send it off to the AFT and if it comes back approved then I can build my supprrssor? Nothing else needed? Just check the box marked "individual"???
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

chrismunn wrote:So I'm free to go ahead and fill out a Form 1, send it off to the AFT and if it comes back approved then I can build my supprrssor? Nothing else needed? Just check the box marked "individual"???
Correct, and send a copy to your local or State level CLEO.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

At that end, it sounds like I'm looking at $200 in taxes + the cost of material and my time???
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

You'll need (2) FD-258 fingerprint cards, and you'll also need (2) certificate of compliance forms if you file as an individual.
I don't care what your chart says
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

John A. wrote:You'll need (2) FD-258 fingerprint cards, and you'll also need (2) certificate of compliance forms if you file as an individual.
The separate CoC is no longer required. The questions are incorporated into the new forms.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

and you still need fingerprint cards and pics on a trust now with the new ruling.

The only real benefit a trust is to most people now is that you can put multiple people on it. If you file as an individual then anyone living in your house cannot have access to it without you. This also means, from what im told, they cannot even have the combo to the safe you keep them in. Ive actually heard of people having separate safes for their individual items.

So with that being the main benefit, its a HUGE benefit. Id go with the trust. I got my first 3 NFA items (1 SBR and 2 cans) as an individual and im still kicking myself in the ass because my wife cant get into the safe without me. She really doesnt need anything in there tho. Its just so hard for me to part with $600 and not really gain something new lol. Everything since then has gone on my trust.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

So I'm guessing that you can't add your NFA item to your trust if you've registered it as an individual on your form1?
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

Are the fingerprint cards something I can print out or do need to order them?
cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Post by cdhknives »

chrismunn wrote:So I'm guessing that you can't add your NFA item to your trust if you've registered it as an individual on your form1?
It's a separate transfer, another $200 and paperwork, just for the switch. per item.
YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

chrismunn wrote:Are the fingerprint cards something I can print out or do need to order them?
You can't print them out, but they can be ordered for free.

https://www.atf.gov/distribution-center-order-form
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

Which FD-258
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

3rd option, says NFA right on it.
I don't care what your chart says
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

Called an attorney about starting a trust. When he asked what I was going to put in it I told him what it was for. He then referred me to another attorney that handles gun stuff, I suppose? The first guy seemed as if he was going to be able to make the trust util I told him what it was for then He didn't seem to understand what NFA was. This second guys was $350/hr with a minimum of 10 hours and an estimated time of 4 hours to write the trust. This can't be normal?
JC in SC

Post by JC in SC »

chrismunn wrote:Called an attorney about starting a trust. When he asked what I was going to put in it I told him what it was for. He then referred me to another attorney that handles gun stuff, I suppose? The first guy seemed as if he was going to be able to make the trust util I told him what it was for then He didn't seem to understand what NFA was. This second guys was $350/hr with a minimum of 10 hours and an estimated time of 4 hours to write the trust. This can't be normal?
What state are you in? My trust was set up by an attorney here in SC for $200 total.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

JC in SC wrote:
chrismunn wrote:Called an attorney about starting a trust. When he asked what I was going to put in it I told him what it was for. He then referred me to another attorney that handles gun stuff, I suppose? The first guy seemed as if he was going to be able to make the trust util I told him what it was for then He didn't seem to understand what NFA was. This second guys was $350/hr with a minimum of 10 hours and an estimated time of 4 hours to write the trust. This can't be normal?
What state are you in? My trust was set up by an attorney here in SC for $200 total.
There's online 'fill in the blank' trusts for under $100. Wildcat trust seems to be popular, I have one too. They're $49 I believe
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
JC in SC

Post by JC in SC »

fishman wrote: There's online 'fill in the blank' trusts for under $100. Wildcat trust seems to be popular, I have one too. They're $49 I believe
For me personally, having mine done by an attorney licensed in my state with considerable gun trust experience was worth the difference.
chrismunn

Post by chrismunn »

I'm in tx.
savage54

Post by savage54 »

chrismunn wrote:I'm in tx.
If you're in the Houston area, shoot me a PM and I'll give you contact info for the lawyer that set up my trust. He's been doing it for many years, and answered a ton of questions for me before I gave him any money. Like others have said, having a local attorney set up the trust vs. a fill-in-the-blank online thing is, for me at least, very reassuring.