.308 Brake Mounted Suppressor (Picture heavy)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

NChobbymachining

.308 Brake Mounted Suppressor (Picture heavy)

Post by NChobbymachining »

I posted a design thread a few months back for my form 1 .308 suppressor. There were lots of good ideas and I think we managed to design a pretty good suppressor. The plan was to start machining a few months ago as the form 1 was approved at the end of march, but I knew there was a plan to get a better lathe in the near future so I held off making that one.

Well the new lathe was ordered and delivered a few weeks ago and I now have it up and running. That means it is time to make some chips. I upgraded from a 7x12 HF mini lathe to a PM 1030v. I know thats still a small lathe to most but this thing is a monster to me.

Heres a picture of the lathe.

First I will touch on some of the tooling I am using.

I use mostly carbide tools for turning as I haven't yet mastered the art of grinding a turning tool. They never have come out quite right but maybe after a few dozen more tries, the well. I also ground an internal and external HSS threading tool. I am using carbide tipped boring bars, an inexpensive center drill set, a few HSS drill bits, a 5/8x24 tap, and a chop saw rigged up to act as a band saw.

Here are some of those tools with the 1.5 and 1.25 inch 303 stainless stock freshly cut.

Here is my "band saw" rigging.

Here is the threading tool before grinding.

And after grinding.

Onto some chips!

I decided this one would mount to a muzzle brake because I wanted to switch between a few rifles but I didn't want to deal with thread protectors and I also like shooting with brakes when I don't have a can on. My other suppressor mounts directly to the muzzle threads, which is fine, but I wanted something a little different for this one. It uses a 20 degree locking shoulder to index it in the can and utilizes .900x24 threads to attach to the mount.

I started with a piece of 1.25" stainless in the 4 jaw, dialed it in pretty close (getting perfect for this part doesn't matter. Then faced it and turned down a bit. I turned down some so I could check the alignment later with the dial indicator.

Once faced and turned it was drilled with a center drill, then through drilled with a .375 drill bit. Slow, a good bit of oil, and lots of clearing chips. Then it was drilled .65" deep with the .5" drill bit, then opened to the final diameter with a boring bar. I think that was about .58".

Then it was threaded with the 5/8x24 tap, soaked in oil, 2 full turns then a half turn back to break the chips. These threads were a little shallow, looks like I overshot it a bit with the boring bar. Still plenty of thread engagement, and I made two to start with anyway.

Next, I turned down a mandrel to mount the brake to so I could ensure concentricity. Doing this in the 3 jaw was fine since any eccentricity was taken care of while it was turned down.

Here is a picture of that mandrel. It looks like I forgot to take a picture after I threaded it.

Then mounted the brake blank. I checked the concentricity of the part I turned down. My .001" dial indicator was hardly moving, I think the tiny bit of vibration in the needle was just the surface finish.

And turned down to correct diameters.

Cut the locking shoulder with the compound.

Cut some 24 tpi threads.

Thats it for the brake for the moment. Though its worth noting this isn't exactly how I machined everything. I cut the inner threads and locking shoulder of the endcap/mount first so I wouldn't have to break down the set up and introduce eccentricity. I just thought the brake was a more fitting place to start the post.

So for the mount, it uses 24 TPI to thread into a 1.5" OD and 1.37" ID tube. There are .5" of threads on the outside and roughly the same on the inside. It uses the same 20 degree shoulder and .900x24 internal threads as the brake.

Started by facing off a piece of 1.5" stainless. In the 3 jaw it was out by about .005". Thats fine for this, all of the important parts will be indexed off the internal threads and they will be square.

Center drilled, through drilled with .375" drill, then .5".

Then stepped up to .750" drill. Lots of chips.

Then bored to the inner diameter. I can't remember exactly what it was, in the .850" region.

Then got it set up to cut the internal threads. I ground the tool at an angle like that because then I could grind away less for clearance and hopefully it would be more rigid. No idea how much difference it made but it cut well.

Threads look good.

Cut the locking shoulder.

Chamfer on the outside for aesthetics and weight.

That was it for the mount by itself. Next it was threaded onto the brake to be used as a mandrel. Doing this all in one set up ensures that the threads are parallel to each other and concentric to the center line of the lathe, which in turn will be the bore. I checked the runout after mounting and it had gone down from .005" to .003 to .004.

Once mounted, I turned the outer diameter to the thread major diameter and shortened it to the correct length. Squaring off both shoulders is very important for this part. This picture was right when I shortened it over the internal threads and they popped off.

Threaded. I needed to use a wider thread relief at the end.

Finished parts showing the threads and fit. They were so tight a marred the finish a little getting them apart. That should buff out later though.

Then onto the end cap. It is very simple, just .35" of threads, .085" thread relief, and a .375" hole right in the middle.

Started with a piece of 1.5" stainless and faced it.

Cut the diameter to the major thread diameter.

I ground a parting tool and used that to make a relief cut. I had never done an parting operations before this. My old lathe couldn't handle it but this one took it like a champ. A little bit of chatter but it cut well.

Threaded and ready to be drilled.

Drilled.

Boring out the inside. Boring depth was .5" total. I left a bit of a shoulder on the inside because I wasn't super careful with my thread relief depth and I was worried I would go to thin and the thing would come apart.

Then I parted it off with said parting tool I ground. You can see the little chips it was making. I think I was going a little to fast because as I got deeper, the chips got better and it cut better.

Post parting mess. Cleaned that up before continuing.

I flipped the endcap around, using a strip of aluminum from a Dr Pepper can to protect the threads. I don't know if thats the right way to do it, but it worked.

Faced it off to clean up from parting.

A little chamfer to match the mount.

Then I cut a little chamfer on the inside just for looks.

Thats all I have so far. I had a 1.5" 316 stainless seamless tube to use for the main body but while I was dialing it in, I found out it is no good. Warped, ovaled, distorted, anything but round and consistent. So I will be ordering a new tube to use, I will probably stick with 316 stainless since I don't think Titanium would stand up to my uses, as per the design thread. I still need to thread the tube and make the baffles and spacers.

I am open to comments, advice, and suggestions. I like to learn from others mistakes rather than my own if I can. Saves me time and money :D
Hasdrubal

Re: .308 Brake Mounted Suppressor (Picture heavy)

Post by Hasdrubal »

Are you planning on knurling your endcaps, or making some provision for a tool to unscrew them?
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

Why didn't you single point the 5/8-24 threads? Other than that nice work. Looks very similar to my in process pictures although you did a better job of taking pictures of each step.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Outstanding, refreshing, and inspirational presentation.

Thank you for enlivening this forum.

Best.
NChobbymachining

Hasdrubal wrote:Are you planning on knurling your endcaps, or making some provision for a tool to unscrew them?
At this point, no plans. I dont like knurling and my design didnt really leave room for a spanner wrench to be worked in. Ill likely just use a strap wrench if they are difficult to remove.
NChobbymachining

propeine wrote:Why didn't you single point the 5/8-24 threads? Other than that nice work. Looks very similar to my in process pictures although you did a better job of taking pictures of each step.
I went with the tap because I think its a little tight to get the tool in there, its a bit easier to do, and I figured it would be concentric enough. If it isnt, ill make another. Since its a brake and not a suppressor part, im told I can make as many as I want.

I used the set ups from a youtube channel who made a similar 30 caliber suppressor. I didnt know of any other way to get good concentricity with the stacking threads. Though I think I have read every build thread on this forum so I probably saw yours so it undoubtably contributed.
NChobbymachining

Historian wrote:Outstanding, refreshing, and inspirational presentation.

Thank you for enlivening this forum.

Best.
I appreciate the kind words. You guys spent a lot of time helping me understand the concepts and come up with a design. I figured the least I could do is share some pictures of the results.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

NChobbymachining wrote:
propeine wrote:Why didn't you single point the 5/8-24 threads? Other than that nice work. Looks very similar to my in process pictures although you did a better job of taking pictures of each step.
I went with the tap because I think its a little tight to get the tool in there, its a bit easier to do, and I figured it would be concentric enough. If it isnt, ill make another. Since its a brake and not a suppressor part, im told I can make as many as I want.

I used the set ups from a youtube channel who made a similar 30 caliber suppressor. I didnt know of any other way to get good concentricity with the stacking threads. Though I think I have read every build thread on this forum so I probably saw yours so it undoubtably contributed.
There are tools small enough to thread .25 holes.

Theee are dozens that will do 5/8-24 like there is no tommorow.
NChobbymachining

Bendersquint wrote:
NChobbymachining wrote:

There are tools small enough to thread .25 holes.

Theee are dozens that will do 5/8-24 like there is no tommorow.
I know it can be done, its just easier for me to tap. I tested the bore run out of the one and it was under .002". Since the locking shoulder and threads are square to the internal threads, I think it will be ok. If it isnt good enough, ill run off another brake and grind a tool that can get in there.
NChobbymachining

I have had some time to continue working on the suppressor. I have finished 7 of the 8 cones and decided to go integral spacers. I hate working with tube and it seemed this was the best way to get a good solid fit and increase the strength a little. It also reduced the number of parts to 11 without adding significant difficulty in machining. It added cost, though as steel tube is less expensive than solid steel bar, but that should be minimal, in the under $10 range.

I almost forgot to take pictures when machining the baffles... Whoops!

Starting with a piece of 1.5" stainless, I turned it down to 1.400" and faced. Then I center drilled and drilled .375".
Then I drilled out .900 from .375" -> .5" -> .750".
From there I bored the hole to a wall thickness that would give me .065" thick baffles (don't remember that value).
From there, I cut the chamfer on the end of the spacer that would seat the next baffle. This was cut at the same 60 degrees as the rest of the cones. To make sure they were all exactly the same, the compound was set as close as I could get it, then it wasn't changed until the last baffle was finished.
With the compound set at 60 degrees, I used a small boring bar to cut the inside of the baffle. I have had some trouble with my compound not turning perfectly so the finish inside wasn't fantastic.
From there, I cut the spacer thickness down to .040" and measured the length of the spacer. I used layout fluid to indicate the end of the spacer and the start of the baffle on the outside. Then I set my apron zero roughly .05" (eyeballed) in front of the mark and feeding in with the compound then feeding down the length of the work, I slowly cut the outside of the baffle.
Here you see it getting closer.
Once I was very close, I locked the apron in place and cleaned up the outside with the compound.
I turned the outside of the spacer down to roughly 1.368 taking off .0003 or so until I got a very nice sliding fit with the tube. Then I fed in with the compound until the outer cone met the bore hole and it popped off.
Thats all there was to the baffles. They will need to have the holes cleaned up which I can do when (or if) I port them, or they can be flipped around on the lathe. Here are all the parts I have for it so far. The one without the spacer is the last baffle as I didn't think I needed a spacer between the end cap and baffle.
I was planning to thread the tube, but I was having some trouble indicating it. I turned a plug down to a very tight fit that will eventually be the blast baffle spacer, inserted it into the tube, and inidcated with the 4 jaw chuck. I was able to get it within .004" but there were 2 highs and 2 lows. I assumed that was a concentric oval from a slightly undersized plug. Indicating with the steady rest, I could only get it to .001" but it didn't seem right. I decided to remove it and come back when I was better rested and not trying to rush things.
All I have left to machine is the blast baffle, the spacer, and thread the tube. Then I need to machine the ports on the brake. That will be done using a spin index and my mini mill. Ill document that as well but it is pretty straight forward. I tend to have multiple projects working concurrently so none get finished as fast as I want them to. I have been working on some upgrades to my mini mill including adding a DRO, stiffening the column, and soon a partial CNC conversion. I plan to add a stepper to the X and Z axis so I can make a power feed and precise automatic positioning with an arduino TFT screen. Those will be used to make a 0% billet AR lower soon. Ill throw up some pics of the machine as well since that machine is also used for parts with this suppressor.

If anyone has tips for getting that tube indicated well, or what is "good enough" I am happy to listen. I am not sure if I should make a new plug and force it in to remove the ovalling (the current plug was turned .0003" between fittings and is a very tight fit) or work with the ovalling since it should come out when it is no longer under pressure. As always I am open to critique as well as other advise. I am by no means a professional and I am always looking to improve. I am also open to answering any questions or providing clarification to anything I have posted. This morning I was approved for a 45 ACP suppressor for my 1911 that I will be making a nielson device for as well. I will start a design post for that one probably sometime in November to machine it by the new year.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

NChobbymachining wrote:
Once I was very close, I locked the apron in place and cleaned up the outside with the compound.
Good pics. I made my baffles much the same way.

I notice your cutting tool is sticking out a long way from the holder though. If that's not absolutely necessary, you should get a little better results (in respect to depth of cut and chatter) with less stickout.
NChobbymachining

yondering wrote:
NChobbymachining wrote:
Good pics. I made my baffles much the same way.

I notice your cutting tool is sticking out a long way from the holder though. If that's not absolutely necessary, you should get a little better results (in respect to depth of cut and chatter) with less stickout.
I had it sticking out from doing the previous baffles with the steady rest. I couldnt reach the ends of the cuts before the apron ran into the steady. And I didnt want to move the steady back because that seemed less rigid than reaching with the tool.
NChobbymachining

Well, this one is almost there. I have the tube threaded and engraved (I guess technically etched) so now all that is left is the blast baffle, spacer, milling the ports on the brake, and polishing up the insides.

Once that is done, it will be tested, then sandblasted, and cerakoted.

Here are some pictures.

I was in "don't screw this up" mode so I didn't take many during the threading process. I pretty much just chucked it up, indicated with the steady rest, faced the ends square, and single point threaded 24 TPI until each cap fit.

Once I got both of them fitted, I stuck it up on the threaded mandrel and used sandpaper to clean up the surface, remove the steady rest marks, and blend the seams a little bit.

Here is what I have now:

When I threaded the mount side in, I checked the run out with the threaded mandrel and got about .003. When I flipped it around with the mandrel indicated true, the run out was about .0045" at 9" from the end. Hopefully, the .375" bore will have more than enough clearance for a .307" projectile.

Im not entirely sure when I will work on it more. I tend to bounce around between projects so I can take a break when one gets frustrating or I need to wait on a part. Here's a picture of the other project, I am sure someone can guess what it is.

fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

NChobbymachining wrote:Here's a picture of the other project, I am sure someone can guess what it is.
i'll bite.
what is it?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
NChobbymachining

fishman wrote:
NChobbymachining wrote:Here's a picture of the other project, I am sure someone can guess what it is.
i'll bite.
what is it?
Maybe this one will make it a little more obvious.

fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

NChobbymachining wrote:
fishman wrote:
i'll bite.
what is it?
Maybe this one will make it a little more obvious.

yes it does. looks very nice.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
NChobbymachining

The machining is done for this one. I got the baffles all fitted up well, made the first spacer, and milled the ports on the brake. I also spun the baffles to clean up the front ends and polish the spacer portions.

Here is the set up with the spin indexer to mill the ports. I had a lot of trouble with this and the result reflects that. I had trouble with the brake loosening up on the mandrel and the indexer sliding around on the table. Im not entirely sure what the right way to hold this thing down is because there are no slots of any kind on the bottom. I also need to support the front end of the brake somehow. Ill be making at least 5 more for my other guns so this one is good enough for now.

Here are the two .250 inch ports milled into the brake. They came out a little rough. Ill address these issues with the next ones I make.

I made a little jig to mount the baffles and polish the outsides on the advice from another forum. They will be less likely to stick if they are polished well.

Here is the baffle attached to the jig. It indexes on the shoulder and is held in with the screw. It wasn't perfect, but there was little run out and it was plenty good enough to run some sandpaper over it for polishing.

Here is a picture of the brake mounted up on my .308. Its a little bit dirty as you can see and you can see the rough ports. Its snugged on with a crush washer, but that is temporary. For the next one, I will snug it down against the shoulder, then mark the top and machine the ports with that referrence point. There were no concentricity issues with the crush washer.

Here is the can mounted on my 10.5" 300 BLK SBR.

There was a good deal of first round pop when firing but after the first shot, the next several were incredibly quiet. I could hear the rounds impacting the berm and I could hear the action noise as well. I am very pleased with it in that regard. This was with cast 230 gr subsonic ammo.

Here it is mounted up on my .308.

It did a great job on this one too. It was certainly not hearing safe but there was almost no concussion and the recoil was reduced significantly. I had no trouble with the can backing off or any indication of baffle strikes. My optic was acting up and is being sent back for warranty repair, but I was able to shoot several groups with the rounds touching. There was definetely a POI shift going from no muzzle device to brake, but very little going from brake to suppressor. Next for this one is sandblasting and cerakoting. I will use H cerakote (thats the non high temp one) because I have a lot of it and this brake shouldn't get hot enough to damage the finish. If it is trouble, ill order some C cerakote and do it again.

Question for some of the well versed legal guys here: Is it kosher to convert my other suppressor to mount to the same brakes? I have read that you can always remove material, its just making new parts thats frowned upon. Its currently direct mount so the material would be taken off, nothing added.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

NChobbymachining wrote: Question for some of the well versed legal guys here: Is it kosher to convert my other suppressor to mount to the same brakes? I have read that you can always remove material, its just making new parts thats frowned upon. Its currently direct mount so the material would be taken off, nothing added.
thats fine

5.56 form 1:
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

NChobbymachining wrote: Here is the set up with the spin indexer to mill the ports. I had a lot of trouble with this and the result reflects that. I had trouble with the brake loosening up on the mandrel and the indexer sliding around on the table. Im not entirely sure what the right way to hold this thing down is because there are no slots of any kind on the bottom. I also need to support the front end of the brake somehow. Ill be making at least 5 more for my other guns so this one is good enough for now.

You're clamping the spindex at the farthest possible location from the cut, not good. Clamp the sides of the spindex, not the rear. You'll have to turn it sideways on your table. Those things really aren't meant for holding stock while milling, but they can work fine for the job you're doing.

Personally, when doing similar work on brakes or flash hider mounts, I do that operation after the other external lathe operations on the brake, but before parting it off from the round stock. No issues with it unscrewing that way.
NChobbymachining

yondering wrote:
NChobbymachining wrote: Here is the set up with the spin indexer to mill the ports. I had a lot of trouble with this and the result reflects that. I had trouble with the brake loosening up on the mandrel and the indexer sliding around on the table. Im not entirely sure what the right way to hold this thing down is because there are no slots of any kind on the bottom. I also need to support the front end of the brake somehow. Ill be making at least 5 more for my other guns so this one is good enough for now.

You're clamping the spindex at the farthest possible location from the cut, not good. Clamp the sides of the spindex, not the rear. You'll have to turn it sideways on your table. Those things really aren't meant for holding stock while milling, but they can work fine for the job you're doing.

Personally, when doing similar work on brakes or flash hider mounts, I do that operation after the other external lathe operations on the brake, but before parting it off from the round stock. No issues with it unscrewing that way.
I appreciate the advice. The trouble I was having turning it is that my table is too small and not enough travel to get to the brake without more than half of the spindex base hanging off. I think I will have to drill into the base to get a better foundation. Trying to clamp it down in the front didn't have enough clearance to allow it to rotate.

You also said they aren't meant to hold stock while milling but I thought that was precisely what they are meant for. Ill keep that in mind though about parting off after I do the ports.
NChobbymachining

I got a video of my buddy shooting the 300 blk SBR with the suppressor mounted. Overall, I am pleased with the performance. When behind the rifle, you hear mostly action noise. I think the next thing for this rifle may be to make a silent recapture spring to quiet it down a bit more.

In the video, the thump you hear after every shot is the bullet hitting the berm, which was really interesting to hear when shooting it at 50 yards. I am pretty sure you could hear the bullet whizzing because the shot was so quiet. Gas in the face wasn't bad. Not nearly as bad as my other can and much quieter. When my buddy says we are really tearing up that corner, its because the POI shift from using a new load and the new can had the rifle shooting about 3 inches low and 3 inches right which was in the corner of the target.

Here is the link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT_6PSSiZ9A
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

My compliments on your machining skills and
inspiring result.

Thank you for sharing your opus. I realized a few improvements
for future work.

Never stop learning.

Best.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

NChobbymachining wrote: I appreciate the advice. The trouble I was having turning it is that my table is too small and not enough travel to get to the brake without more than half of the spindex base hanging off. I think I will have to drill into the base to get a better foundation. Trying to clamp it down in the front didn't have enough clearance to allow it to rotate.

You also said they aren't meant to hold stock while milling but I thought that was precisely what they are meant for. Ill keep that in mind though about parting off after I do the ports.
Yep, sounds like you're stuck with drilling the base, because of that small table.

Those spindex fixtures like you are using are intended for grinding, like in a surface grinder; the shaft is intended to slide fore/aft while holding a specific rotation angle. Many people, myself included, use them for milling jobs though, just keep it light duty. I've been pretty satisfied with mine for small jobs like brakes and flash hiders. (Mine appears to be the same one you have.)