Reflex Suppressor Db testing

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bstanga

Reflex Suppressor Db testing

Post by bstanga »

Testing a Form 1 with a Db meter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-SJf9gQp4
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reflex Suppressor Db testing

Post by DKDravis »

Interesting that there seems to be little difference with the number of baffles in the can .. :?:

From the amount of "data" collected it does not seem to be possible to determine the optimum number of baffles, or conclude that the number of baffles does not matter.

The "Standard deviation" of the data sets are quite large, so with only 5 shots in each configuration, its probably a good idea to "throw out" the extreme values.
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I was wondering why the quotes around "data" until watching the video. Now I understand. That sort of SPL meter is suitable for getting a general idea of ambient sound levels in a machine shop or job site, traffic and airport noise, any sort of steady input at moderate noise levels. But it's just not capable of anything close to a proper level reading with gunfire. Your numbers should be at least 25dB higher with the sorts of ammo being fired. It's no wonder the numbers vary so much, the meter and microphone aren't nearly fast enough to read such noises. A meter like that tells me similar numbers to yours on my suppressed airguns, but goes up into the 114 to 120 range with the same airguns unsuppressed. The intensity of the blast from your ammunition is plainly exceeding the ability of the meter.
JFettig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JFettig »

gonna need a different meter for useful data. The sampling rate isn't high enough and it has a maximum of 130db. its extremely unlikely that you're under 130db on a 5.56
bstanga

Post by bstanga »

JFettig wrote:gonna need a different meter for useful data. The sampling rate isn't high enough and it has a maximum of 130db. its extremely unlikely that you're under 130db on a 5.56
Well like I said somewhere else its no bruel & kjaer sound level meter, but when a viewer of the channel said they would let me borrow a meter I got excited and said sure, so I just used what I had.. Anyone want to loan out a bruel & kjaer ?

ATB
Brian
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

bstanga wrote:Well like I said somewhere else its no bruel & kjaer sound level meter, but when a viewer of the channel said they would let me borrow a meter I got excited and said sure, so I just used what I had.. Anyone want to loan out a bruel & kjaer ?
Test w birds and wildlife/cats in the picture. If the birds fly or cat jumps, you've got a Frame of Reference. :roll: :mrgreen:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314