Air swirling in pistol and rimfire cans

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Air swirling in pistol and rimfire cans

Post by noisecatcher »

I am bored at work and as my mind often does I am thinking about suppressor design. Today's deviations have me thinking about how to swirl the air in a can not so much for cross jetting but more to just slow and cool the air. I think cross jetting is probably a more efficient way to lower the dB produced by a can but some designs don't lend themselves to cross jetting. I am just thinking what could be done in the empty spaces to punish the blast for even thinking about making noise.

What are some things that have been tried good and bad?
Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Air swirling in pistol and rimfire cans

Post by Bendersquint »

noisecatcher wrote:I am bored at work and as my mind often does I am thinking about suppressor design. Today's deviations have me thinking about how to swirl the air in a can not so much for cross jetting but more to just slow and cool the air. I think cross jetting is probably a more efficient way to lower the dB produced by a can but some designs don't lend themselves to cross jetting. I am just thinking what could be done in the empty spaces to punish the blast for even thinking about making noise.

What designs are bad for cross jetting?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Bendersquint wrote:
noisecatcher wrote:... not so much for cross jetting but more to just slow and cool the air. I think cross jetting is probably a more efficient way to lower the dB produced by a can but some designs don't lend themselves to cross jetting. I am just thinking what could be done in the empty spaces to punish the blast for even thinking about making noise.

What designs are bad for cross jetting?
I'm reading it as "good and bad ways to swirl w/o depending upon cross-jetting."

Like the "swirl vanes" that cause the air to rotate around the bore like a hurricane. Or "flame holders" in jet turbines. -<-
They look like that to divert the incoming gas stream, and deter back-flow.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

Bendersquint wrote:What designs are bad for cross jetting?
I was having a hard time picturing how it would be done on a monocore but if you changed the baffle design it wouldn't be that hard. I am really leaning towards the rimfire monocore I have seen repeated several times on here(Baffled, mageever, others). Obviously I want to add my own twists. But I was curious how I could work the blast harder to maximize it. My machinery resources are limited to a G4000 lathe and a drill press I might be able to get some time on a mill but it's questionable. I would consider getting the milling attachment for the lathe but idk if that's money well spent.
noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

whiterussian1974 wrote: Like the "swirl vanes" that cause the air to rotate around the bore like a hurricane. Or "flame holders" in jet turbines. -<-
They look like that to divert the incoming gas stream, and deter back-flow.
Yes I was also thinking about some of the one way valves you have mentioned before. I am trying to figure out a way to test an idea without building a suppressor but the problem is it happens so fast a gauge could never measure it.
I was thinking about gasses being directed into a channel that widens as it spirals maybe like the last turn or two in a tuba. Ultimately the channels would go no where making the gasses need to make a 180* turn back through the twists.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

<< http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-cont ... chkin3.jpg >>

An example of Russian Simplicity of design yet with lots of
swirl.

<< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sG1InNdCY0 >>
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Historian- I suppose that the Stechkin's holster makes it a SBR? :(
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Historian- I suppose that the Stechkin's holster makes it a SBR? :(
What is another $200.00 for a stamp as the Stetchkin
itself requires a stamp, and so for the can.

As historical note, there are two different shoulder stocks,
a wood one like the C90 Broomhandle and the better
one of hard plastic/bakalite.

And let us not forget the ingenious metal/suppressor
shoulder stock.

Shoulder stocks are a work of art.

<< http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/9/9b/ ... pistol.jpg >>

<< https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... in_APS.jpg >>

<< https://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-con ... chkin1.jpg >>

<< https://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-con ... chkin4.jpg >>

Best
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
noisecatcher
Silent Operator

Post by noisecatcher »

0101silent wrote:
noisecatcher wrote: I was having a hard time picturing how it would be done on a monocore but if you changed the baffle design it wouldn't be that hard. I am really leaning towards the rimfire monocore I have seen repeated several times on here(Baffled, mageever, others). Obviously I want to add my own twists. But I was curious how I could work the blast harder to maximize it. My machinery resources are limited to a G4000 lathe and a drill press I might be able to get some time on a mill but it's questionable. I would consider getting the milling attachment for the lathe but idk if that's money well spent.
I have the Harbor Freight version of the G4000. I'm leaning towards the staggered baffle monocore myself. I've been patiently waiting for an Approved Form 1 which is overdue.

If I go forward with the staggered baffle monocore I planned on machining it one of two ways.
1) Using round stock or barrel blank, to put an end mill in a MT3 end mill holder and hold the round stock in a boring bar holder. I successfully used this method for a 10/22 integral monocore.
or
2) Using square stock, to drill the bore, drill the staggered holes with a drill press, and then turn it round between centers.
Truth be told I also have a HF version (dark red not green) of the G4000 I just figured if I said G4000 more people would know what I'm working with. I honestly am considering cutting it out of hex bar so that there are built in flats for a wrench. I wish 1"or1-1/8" hex titanium wasn't super hard to find. I'm sure it could be ordered but not too many places want to deal with a guy who wants a foot of a special run material who is still going to want to pay scrap weight prices.

I may have to give more thought to finding a cheap way to mount it on the slide vs buying the milling adapter.
Surculus

Post by Surculus »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Historian- I suppose that the Stechkin's holster makes it a SBR? :(
Nope. It's already a machine gun [not that there are any xferable Stechkins; they were still in-issue w/ the Soviets when GCA68 went into effect...] but machineguns can take any form, so if it's already registered as such, then whether it's an SBR or not is irrelevant. [Note: this is a completely different situation from putting a registered sear into a SBR AR-15...] Still need another stamp for a can, whether integral or not.

I could be wrong, but the foregoing is my understanding after years of following such topics & reading the responses of knowledgeable persons. IANAL, nor do the BATFEmen have to be sensible in their interpretation of their own regulations, so YMMV.