.45 threaded bushing?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jarrodl

.45 threaded bushing?

Post by jarrodl »

http://www.ftfindustries.com/product/RP-1911BB1.html
Has anybody used one of these with good performance results?
I got my paperwork back and made a k-baffle suppressor for my kimber 1911 and this is what I happened to have on hand to use to mount it so I turned an adapter to use the course threads on it. I dont have a threaded barrel for my 1911 yet. Im going to get one, but wondering if anyone else has used one of these bushings? They dont allow my gun/suppressor combo to cycle. I am wondering about how much sound escapes from it. My suppressor doesnt perform as well as i was hoping. It does ok wet, but dry its about like a 22 rifle shooting standard velocity ammo. It is 1.5"diameter and 10in long made from aluminum with 7 or 8 ks(i forget exactly) I was hopping for great performance.
Any thoughts?
Hasdrubal

Re: .45 threaded bushing?

Post by Hasdrubal »

I would be frightened about the play with the bushing to slide fit, did you end up with an oversized bore to account for that? Never seen anything like that before, though.
jarrodl

Post by jarrodl »

I made the bore .5" and it seems to have enough clearance
BinaryAndy
Silent Operator

Post by BinaryAndy »

A suppressor attached to the barrel bushing would cycle with the slide. With the slide all the way back, wouldn't the barrel be protruding from the end of that bushing? I'm going to assume your baffles have enough clearance that you can manually cycle the slide with the can attached, without the barrel running into a baffle.

I'm also not sure how well a suppressor attached like that could cycle. If it's attached to the slide, it has to go a whole lot farther than it would if it were attached to the barrel. I'm not sure a booster would be enough.

There are compensators (muzzle brakes) that attach to the barrel bushing. They're pretty common, but they don't work as well as compensators that thread on to the muzzle. There are probably a few reasons for that, but I'd bet the biggest one is that the bore needs to be bigger to allow the barrel to fit through during cycling. There may also be gas escaping through the gap between the barrel and bushing, maybe enough to make it louder, but more importantly it could make the innards of the gun dirty fast.

1911 barrels lock up at an angle, so your suppressor can't really end up straight with that setup. I would have given the bore a great deal of extra clearance. In summary, there's too many things to not like about that method for attaching a suppressor.
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02