300 blackout build complete

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 blackout build complete

Post by fishman »

UPDATE:
I've finally been able to compare my can to an industry can. I shot it side by side with another guy that had an SBRd 300 blk with a specwar. We used the same ammo, his reloads (mine are quieter). Both cans dry.

My can registered 3dB quieter on a phone meter, from about 15 yards away. Ik, ik, spare me the lecture.

Bystanders, close and far, couldn't tell which was quieter. But tone was definitely different. I'm glad my can matched, and maybe slightly exceeded, the (supposedly) quietest non integral 300 blk can on the market.

SIDE NOTE: photobucket finally held my thread ransom, I'll have to reupload all the pics to imgur *sigh*

F--k photobucket
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

fishman wrote:
bakerjw wrote:Fantastic workmanship.

I am curious to any effect that the baffle alignment might have on accuracy. I wonder, if the cutouts were aligned with bullet rotation based on rifling (1 in 12 as an example), would that induce some wobble. Alternately if they were random or opposite of the the rifling. You might play around with it and see if you can hit a real sweet spot.
Honestly, 300 blackout isn't even really intended for shots past 100 yards, I'm fine with that group size. Maybe my handloads will perform better. I didn't expect much from American eagle ammo.
300 blackout with high BC rounds makes for an excellent suppressed "sniper" type weapon. I remember seeing some custom high BC projectiles that were aluminum tipped. Forgot the guy's name that makes them and the company. the 240 grain is something like .89 bc on the g1 scale.

Apparently the worthless pieces of s--t at the ATF harassed him about his steel tipped version even though that doesn't even violate the worthless unconstitutional ap ammo ban since the tip was well under 25 percent of the weight of the bullet. Small rant over.
Dellet

Post by Dellet »

fishman wrote:
doubloon wrote:Yes, it is a nice build.

I keep trying to ignore this thread because if I keep reading it I'll end up building one.
:lol: I take that as more of a compliment than anything anyone has said so far. :lol:

If you do something similar, save yourself the headache and do a pistol length gas system.
Fishman, all very nice work, but a couple of thoughts and a follow up.

I know you are looking for very quiet and you probably have room for a decibel or three more reduction. This would be powder choice. I had mentioned this before.

You're old carbine gassed barrel is good example, it runs fine using N120. That's probably the quietest and cleanest powder I've used in a carbine system in a 16" barrel. In a 10" it's not quite as quiet as some others in a pistol gassed system, but it is very close and there is room for faster powders.

The slight noise increase, was balanced with a reduction in recoil, yes even with light bullet sub loads it was noticeable, and less gas in the face. It's a trade off.

In pistol gassed uppers I run either #9 or N105 with bullet weights as low as 168.

The carbine 10 1/2, I have actually installed an adjustable gas block, started dialing it back and am still running 175's. Using a standard carbine buffer and spring with a FA carrier.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you take the next step and start producing ammo with the same care as you've put into the rest of the system.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I agree with this 150%.

Blackout is damn disappointing with most factory loads and "common" powder choices.

I've been using Accurate #9 and Enforcer powder almost exclusively for almost a year now.

With Dellets help, guidance, and encouragement.

I wouldn't go back to 1680 or 4198 powder now if my life depended on it.
I don't care what your chart says
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

I agree, and I have been doing this. I've been using lil gun and hornady match 225 grainers with the gas block adjusted accordingly. Ive had fantastic results.

#9, enforcer, lil gun, and H110 are all in the same spot on the burn chart. #9 and enforcer are just a tad faster. I dont know if I'll try #9 until my 8 pound jug of lil gun is gone.

I'm glad to see that my 10.5" carbine barrel is being used, I was just gonna throw it out.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
Dellet

Post by Dellet »

fishman wrote:I agree, and I have been doing this. I've been using lil gun and hornady match 225 grainers with the gas block adjusted accordingly. Ive had fantastic results.

#9, enforcer, lil gun, and H110 are all in the same spot on the burn chart. #9 and enforcer are just a tad faster. I dont know if I'll try #9 until my 8 pound jug of lil gun is gone.

I'm glad to see that my 10.5" carbine barrel is being used, I was just gonna throw it out.
Ignore the burn rate chart if you are trying to use it to guess noise, it will tell you nothing. In general faster powders may be quieter, but that is far from a reliable statement.

I think once you try some other powders you'll see. Lil'gun is kind of a poor choice for subs. It's difficult to get a low ES and it burns hot, so you always end up with a vertical spread that is longer than needed. No reason not to have MOA results at 200 yards or better with a good handload.

If it works for you and you're happy with the results, that's what matters. Just know that there are cleaner, quieter options that will deliver less muzzle pressure and heat into your suppressor.

And again thanks for the barrel. Being able to shoot subs with the longer gas tube and then get 1900 fps + out of a 150 grain bullet without beating the crud out of the lower was a pleasant surprise.
Veggicide

Post by Veggicide »

Beautiful! Any chance you could share the CAD? :D
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Veggicide wrote:Beautiful! Any chance you could share the CAD? :D
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... vDBWgMXO5s

5.56 form 1:
wapol-laser

Post by wapol-laser »

Looks very nice. Any chance you could share the CAD/STP/STEP/Parasolid file again ? 😊 I would like to make same for .223 S&W 15 and for Howa 1500 .308...