9mm Carbine Design

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

MMH
Senior Silent Operator

9mm Carbine Design

Post by MMH »

Searched, but could not find much info on a suppressor design for a 9mm carbine such as a Sig MPX or AR15. Just looking for general design guidelines to get me started on my detail design. Things such as muzzle pressure (9mm +P out of a 8" barrel), tube diameter/length, baffle style, blast chamber volume, etc.

If the suppressor would be 8" long and 1.75" in diameter (just a guess on these dimensions) how effective would it be in suppressing a 5.56 or 7.62 shot out of a 16" barrel? What is the muzzle pressure out of a 16" barrel? If this pressure will drive design, the only downside I would see is in material selection/thickness to accommodate the pressure. Ultimately the goal would be to shoot subsonic suppressed 9mm, but it would be nice to have a suppressor that can be mounted on rifles as well.
Zombie1969

Re: 9mm Carbine Design

Post by Zombie1969 »

The only way to know the pressure generated inside a paticular supressor is to build it and have it lab tested. Every design will give different results and I've never seen these test results if they even do these tests.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Look at popular industry subgun suppressors for a start. The only one I know off the top of my head would be the yhm wraith xl 9mm. I think it's roughly the dimensions you suggested
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
crazyelece
Senior Silent Operator

Post by crazyelece »

9mm semi auto - 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 in dia x 6-8 in long, filled with K baffles.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Why would you want to shoot +p 9mm ammo through a suppressor?

Even with an 8 inch barrel, it's going to go supersonic, and sound suppression is going to suck.
I don't care what your chart says
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

John A. wrote:Why would you want to shoot +p 9mm ammo through a suppressor?

Even with an 8 inch barrel, it's going to go supersonic, and sound suppression is going to suck.
Would not intend to shoot +p, just would want to make sure that the suppressor was designed to take the pressure.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

If it doesn't handle +p 9mm, it's sure not going to handle 7.62 and 556 rifle calibers that you mentioned.

If that is still your plan, you need to plan building a steel 9mm silencer. Or otherwise known as an overbored 308 silencer.
JulietDeltaCustoms

Post by JulietDeltaCustoms »

I would go 316 SS, 41xx series chrome moly, or titanium. 17-4 baffle stack. Good luck!
www.julietdeltacustoms.com

Juliet Delta Customs - Custom built solvent traps, cups, direct thread mounts, and much more.

[email protected] or [email protected]
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

John A. wrote:If it doesn't handle +p 9mm, it's sure not going to handle 7.62 and 556 rifle calibers that you mentioned.

If that is still your plan, you need to plan building a steel 9mm silencer. Or otherwise known as an overbored 308 silencer.
Are most 9mm silencers aluminum? Also, most 9mm seem to have k baffles instead of stepped cones. What are the pros/cons of K's vs. cones?

Building a 9mm silencer that can be used as a 308 (even if not an optimal 308) would be appealing to me.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

MMH wrote:
John A. wrote:If it doesn't handle +p 9mm, it's sure not going to handle 7.62 and 556 rifle calibers that you mentioned.

Are most 9mm silencers aluminum? Also, most 9mm seem to have k baffles instead of stepped cones. What are the pros/cons of K's vs. cones?

Building a 9mm silencer that can be used as a 308 (even if not an optimal 308) would be appealing to me.
If you want it to handle .308 then forget aluminum. K baffles are harder to machine buy work better for low pressure applications like 9mm
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

fishman wrote: If you want it to handle .308 then forget aluminum.
Thank you. That was my whole point.

OP, Even if you do build it with thick enough aluminum parts to not crush under the pressure, heat and erosion from rifle calibers would destroy it in short order.

You can build a steel 9mm silencer and use it on rifle calibers like 223, 7.62x39, and essentially anything that will fit through the bore, but it will be a really heavy silencer.

My first suppressor was essentially a "universal" suppressor, but I only use it on carbines, sbr's, and my subgun when using 9mm because I don't worry so much about heat from FA fire with it.

I often use it on my AR's and AK's. It's impossible to use on a handgun because of the weight.
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

John A. wrote:
fishman wrote: If you want it to handle .308 then forget aluminum.
Thank you. That was my whole point.

OP, Even if you do build it with thick enough aluminum parts to not crush under the pressure, heat and erosion from rifle calibers would destroy it in short order.

You can build a steel 9mm silencer and use it on rifle calibers like 223, 7.62x39, and essentially anything that will fit through the bore, but it will be a really heavy silencer.

My first suppressor was essentially a "universal" suppressor, but I only use it on carbines, sbr's, and my subgun when using 9mm because I don't worry so much about heat from FA fire with it.

I often use it on my AR's and AK's. It's impossible to use on a handgun because of the weight.
I was never considering aluminum, for all the reasons that you mentioned. Again, it would be a carbine/sbr supressor, so weight would not be critically important. Forget about steel, I would be thinking about 17-4 machined way down to save weight.

Do K's reduce the sound that much better on low pressure rounds than stepped cones?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

MMH wrote:Do K's reduce the sound that much better on low pressure rounds than stepped cones?
Yes

5.56 form 1:
MMH
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MMH »

fishman wrote:
MMH wrote:Do K's reduce the sound that much better on low pressure rounds than stepped cones?
Yes
How do K's sound on high pressure rounds (308/300WM)?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

MMH wrote:
fishman wrote:
Yes
How do K's sound on high pressure rounds (308/300WM)?
Joe Curtis of Curtis tactical claims his ks are quieter than his cones on 300blk and the same volume on .308

5.56 form 1:
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

fishman wrote: Joe Curtis of Curtis tactical claims his ks are quieter than his cones on 300blk and the same volume on .308

But JCT's cans are Cone's followed by K's.
This makes a great combo of splitting of the first gasflow followed by a fantastic crossflow in the rest of the stack.
Also not to forget that his stack is screwed together to hold the stack under tention. (stretched vs compressed)

Gunny
Bah21963

Post by Bah21963 »

There is a form1 can over at the form1suppressor.boards.net that has built a multi cal can that works great on 9mm, 556, 300 bo, and 308. Using radial cones with a unique clip style.