lost accuracy

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gpm

lost accuracy

Post by gpm »

have a suppressor I built a couple yrs ago 25-06 cal. It worked great.
I had read that putting notch's in the end of the baffle would improve quietness.
after reassembly I had no accuracy and some bullets were tumbling through the target.
Is this result of the notch ?
There are no baffle strikes !
gpm

Re: lost accuracy

Post by gpm »

I just read where clips are not to be used on cones for a rifle !
Do I need to make all new cones, or just the first one
at the blast chamber ?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

You can't legally make new baffles so if your gong to do it. Don't post about it. The blast baffle shouldn't be clipped
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

What I've read mostly is that the first and last cones shouldn't be clipped. But if the clipping is symmetrical, as in you make an identical cut opposite the first one on your blast baffle, that might improve things. One contributor here even used 3 small clips in his cones on a long range benchrest target gun and found no loss in accuracy and little if any POI shift compared to shooting without the can.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Asymmetrical baffles can disturb the bullet, especially the fist one (blast baffle) where the pressure is highest. if you haven't done so already, try staggering the baffles so the notch is rotated 180 degrees. This might mitigate the effect. Making the first baffle symmetrical might also help.
gpm

Post by gpm »

thanks for the info guys ! I did read about rotating them 180 deg. a part. So I will try that.
vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Post by vaeevictiss »

just wanted to add here, i built 2 of my form one cans for my .223 AR and my .308 rem 700. Both cans use cones, both cans have all baffles clipped including the blast baffle, and both guns will shoot 1/4" groups at 100yds with or without the cans on. not bragging cause i am by no means a master form 1 builder, but this is just what i have personally witnessed regarding my own builds with clipped cones.

POI shift is a non issue because anytime you hang any additional weight off the end of a barrel you are going to have poi shift. Its whether or not its consistent is the issue.

EDIT: I do wonder now thinking about this, how come people will advise not clipping the first/last baffles in a cone stack, but clipping all the baffles in say, a K stack is correct? How does that not affect accuracy?