Baffle cone skirt to tube wall clearance

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

savageshooter81

Baffle cone skirt to tube wall clearance

Post by savageshooter81 »

I used the search feature and the only thing I found was a thread mentioning that several people before had recommended .005 total diameter clearance. The tube OD is 1.500 and the ID is 1.367. What is considered the recommended clearance range for the baffle skirt to inner tube wall? This will be for a .30 caliber. Was also thinking to cut the baffle holes @ .050 bigger than the caliber of bullet being shot (.308=.358). All advice is appreciated as I am far from an expert.

Thanks
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Baffle cone skirt to tube wall clearance

Post by fishman »

savageshooter81 wrote:I used the search feature and the only thing I found was a thread mentioning that several people before had recommended .005 total diameter clearance. The tube OD is 1.500 and the ID is 1.367. What is considered the recommended clearance range for the baffle skirt to inner tube wall? This will be for a .30 caliber. Was also thinking to cut the baffle holes @ .050 bigger than the caliber of bullet being shot (.308=.358). All advice is appreciated as I am far from an expert.

Thanks
.358 is a good diameter. A ratio of about 1.18:1 is common for silencer bores. Longer silencers sometimes open that up a little to prevent baffle strikes. The bigger the bore the better the accuracy and poi shift, the tighter the bore, the better performance.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

savageshooter81 wrote:I used the search feature and the only thing I found was a thread mentioning that several people before had recommended .005 total diameter clearance. The tube OD is 1.500 and the ID is 1.367. What is considered the recommended clearance range for the baffle skirt to inner tube wall? This will be for a .30 caliber. Was also thinking to cut the baffle holes @ .050 bigger than the caliber of bullet being shot (.308=.358). All advice is appreciated as I am far from an expert.

Thanks
Depends how easily you want to be able to disassemble it and how round your tube is. Even the best DOM tubes are frequently out of round some. If you skim cut the interior so it runs concentric I think .005 total is fine. If you don't skim cut I think you may find you need a little more clearance.
savageshooter81

Thanks for the replies. The closest 60* cones I have found that wouldn't be over-sized are zmachineworx and they come in at 1.355 which is .012 smaller than the ID of my tube. Assuming I might be out of round some that would still likely leave a clearance of .010 or so. Would this present enough clearance to make disassembly fairly easy without so much it would cause a problem?

Thanks
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

savageshooter81 wrote:Thanks for the replies. The closest 60* cones I have found that wouldn't be over-sized are zmachineworx and they come in at 1.355 which is .012 smaller than the ID of my tube. Assuming I might be out of round some that would still likely leave a clearance of .010 or so. Would this present enough clearance to make disassembly fairly easy without so much it would cause a problem?

Thanks
Zack's cones will work for your tube.

You might also look at getting an alignment rod - especially if you go that tight on the bore diameter.
savageshooter81

I have no objection going with a different size of cones however the next size down is a fairly large difference. I could go with the 1.347 cones and have .020 clearance. Wanting to make sure that isn't too much clearance though. The alignment rod appears to be $80.
cdrissel
Silent Operator

Post by cdrissel »

https://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetai ... Code=26224

$15 each

I bought 3 (9mm, .223, 7.62)
JulietDeltaCustoms

Post by JulietDeltaCustoms »

Juliet delta customs offers made to order cups. Any size, 7075 or 17-4. [email protected] for a quote
www.julietdeltacustoms.com

Juliet Delta Customs - Custom built solvent traps, cups, direct thread mounts, and much more.

[email protected] or [email protected]