CNC machine questions and 50 cal multi caliber silencer design suggestions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

vaeevictiss
Silent But Deadly

Re: CNC machine questions and 50 cal multi caliber silencer design suggestions

Post by vaeevictiss »

Hannibalbarca wrote:
a_canadian wrote:Sorry, auto-correct on my phone. I meant Inconel not conspicuous.

CNC - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control - computer is just so many wires and such without a programmed set of instructions. Your design needs to be translated into a long string of tool movements.

I have no idea regarding other parameters. Never made a bigbore suppressor.
I see, program the movements for the cutting.
Now isnt that done automatically by the CNC machine itself using software? to my knowledge you just upload the cad file or whatever and then it does the rest.
sure a person would need to reposition during portions of the process but that's really all - at least the way i understand it.
Its not that simple. The machine does exactly what you tell it to...exactly. This includes any "oops". The machine doesnt autodetect anything. you dont just tell it what kind of metal is in there and it does the rest. It has to know exactly where in space that material is. you also have to set all your feeds and speeds based on the material you are cutting. the machine does not auto detect that either.
and as ive said the cutting is done automatically with just the cad file, at least i believe it is. if it isnt then i still doubt that a human would need to input that much.
No offense but i just dont think you are taking everything into consideration. You have others here that probably work with this stuff daily trying to give you advice and you dont seem to be taking it even when you say you have no idea how it all works.

If Bender would give some input here it would be good cause he does this kind of stuff daily.
Last edited by vaeevictiss on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
propeine
Silent But Deadly

Post by propeine »

You have so many issues in understanding I don't even know where to begin.

Quantity 1 - there is no way you're going to get a single CNC'd stack for under the cost of a commercial suppressor. Programming time even with a model is a couple hours. You have at minimum 3 setups and likely more than that. Figure an hour (charged not actual) each for each time something has to be indicated in. Nobody is going to risk cutting their vice so now you need fixturing. Core/rear cap needs flipped at least 1 time to do the threads/projectile bore vs cross boring for "baffles". The threads/bore will need indicated in. Clamping in a vice isn't going to cut it. There will be specialized tooling required for :shudder drilling a hole that long that most shops aren't going to have. Assuming the shop only has a mill, the threads will have to be thread milled...another specialized tool. The cost of the material (4150 rusts so I wouldn't use anything less than stainless) adds further to the cost even if you provide it.

You also are not allowed to pay any shops who are not in the business. They must have their 02/07. This is per ATF ruling 1 of 2015. Say what you want but the ATF rulings have force of law and your 400 dollars saved is going to cover the first 2 hours of a lawyer in a case that takes 100 or more.

1 size does not fit all and you're going to end up with a kluge of a pistol/rifle can.

Do some reading and come back. Hell just go get a quote on what you think you want (most places quote for free) and come back.

I'm all for form 1s trust me. But not to do it on a whim when you're not sure what you're getting into. Put together a cad model and drop it here for help with design and get a quote to see what it is really going to cost you.
BinaryAndy
Silent Operator

Post by BinaryAndy »

The CNC machine doesn't do much of anything automatically. There's a lot involved in the process. It usually takes quite a bit more time and more work to program, set up and machine a part than it does to create the solid model. I'm afraid you're very far off on your cost and time estimate.
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02