Thrading a ruger mark III

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Thrading a ruger mark III

Post by Hannibalbarca »

I have a ruger mark iii target bull barrel
Im wondering if there's a way for me to thread the barrel and also keep the sight.

has anyone else done this? how much would it cost to do so?
would it better to get a gunsmith or to get a machinist to do this.

also a bit unrelated, but is there any sort of trade in program for mark iiis? id really like to get the mark iv as the last time i attempted disassembly i somehow broke the gun and the bolt wouldnt go back after half an inch and the trigger was stuck and the so was the takedwon lever in a way you wouldnt be able to move it at all.
perhaps a trade in at a shop or of the like?
i havent even fired the gun yet.
BlogSarge
Silent Operator

Re: Thrading a ruger mark III

Post by BlogSarge »

Third service as you scroll down this page.... https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservic ... 0Threading ...should get you in business.

They did my 22/45. When I got it back I went to re-zero it since they had removed and relocated the front sight. It was still zeroed.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Lots of shops will move the sight and thread the barrel. It's pretty common.

As far as a trade in to get a mk4, best bet is to skip threading a gun you aren't happy with, sell it and put the proceeds toward the factory threaded mk4 that you really want. Over the years, I've spent way, way too much cash on just this sort of misadventure. Considering that what you want is available off the shelf, skip the dance and proceed directly to the goal. Thank me later.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

I really like my 22/45 LITE but the Mark IV is calling me. Worth the upgrade cost just for the simplicity in takedown/reassembly!

I really dislike "just buy a new gun" as an answer to a question like this, but in this case with the marked improvement in dis/assembly, if it were me I'd sell the Mark III and buy a Mark IV that is already factory threaded. Unless there is some emotional attachment to that particular MK III....
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

CMV wrote:I really like my 22/45 LITE but the Mark IV is calling me. Worth the upgrade cost just for the simplicity in takedown/reassembly!

I really dislike "just buy a new gun" as an answer to a question like this, but in this case with the marked improvement in dis/assembly, if it were me I'd sell the Mark III and buy a Mark IV that is already factory threaded. Unless there is some emotional attachment to that particular MK III....
yeah i already put it up for sale on armslist and gun broker.
iv never sold a gun, do you think i could get a good deal at a gunshop or of the like?

also would it be ok for me to put it up for sale here on the forum?
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

You typically get a poor 'trade in value' at your LGS. They have to turn around and sell your used gun and make enough profit to make that worthwhile. If your local armslist is fairly active (my area is) that's a good place. I've never needed more than a week or 2 to sell a reasonably priced gun.

Ours is covered up in $500 used gen2/3 Glocks and $900 AR frankenbuilds so pricing a used gun fairly and reasonably gets them gone quick.

Facebook gun groups were the best until they went away. Ours all migrated to mewe but membership shrunk over half when that happened & not nearly as active as the original FB groups.

Never looked for a 'classifieds' section here since this is the only part of this site I visit. Rimfire central might be a good place?
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I've done ok on gunbroker over the years.