AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
Krisp
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:04 am

AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Krisp » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:17 am

I have a aac cyclone which they will not repair due to firing handloads. I am looking for someone who can repair this can ASAP as I would like to take it hunting in two weeks. If that time frame is not possible I will still need to get it fixed so please get in touch with me if you can do these repairs.

Thanks for the help.

Kris P. text or call me at 904-838-2933 if possible.

mbogo
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:40 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by mbogo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:57 pm

What happened to it (firing your handloads)?

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:

Rustys0702Services
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Rustys0702Services » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:55 pm

What I found when I opened up this can was worn out internals and no baffle strikes on the first 3 baffles. The 316 sleeve showed signs of wear. The 1st baffle was not round and the od severly worn. The 2nd baffle had also separated and twisted lodging in skirt. The 3rd baffle was worn to the point the bore is not centered.

1st baffle
https://youtu.be/ZqSopL_7JDU

2nd baffle
https://youtu.be/9TpFavmtQes

3rd baffle

https://youtu.be/-_1vKVdzFRo

These baffles are stamped. It is difficult to say with certainty if they were machined first then stamped since they are so worn. It does appear to be stamped and the bore punched at the same time

User avatar
T-Rex
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1760
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: CT - The AntiConstitution State

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by T-Rex » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 am

Appears to be from a baffle strike.
I don't believe those baffles were like that, for the life of ghe can, then one day they weren't.
Not passing judgement, baffle strikes happen, but this is my opinion.
Completed Builds www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79895
Burst Calculator www.engineersedge.com/calculators/pipe_bust_calc.htm
Silencer Porn www.instagram.com/explore/tags/silencerporn/

Rustys0702Services
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Rustys0702Services » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:22 pm

T-Rex wrote:Appears to be from a baffle strike.
I don't believe those baffles were like that, for the life of ghe can, then one day they weren't.
Not passing judgement, baffle strikes happen, but this is my opinion.
The key to what happened is in the first baffle. If you look closely at the od it is not round and the edges are not even. This is also what happened to the 2nd baffle allowing it to twist. I can state with absolute certainty as a fact there was not a baffle strike on the first 3 baffles from a bullet impact.

I did not want to bore anyone with all the other details of the conditions and measurements like the blast chamber area was unevenly bulged and the tube in the 2nd baffle area was also swollen. Both these conditions are symptoms of heat. After shooting there was a rattle in the can and when the can was removed the tube being 316 had expanded and when shook the 2nd baffle twisted and jammed in the position shown. I just thought some might find it interesting how a commercial can with inconel blast baffles will actually wear out.

Rich V
Silent Operator
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Rich V » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am

Rustys0702Services wrote:
T-Rex wrote:Appears to be from a baffle strike.
I don't believe those baffles were like that, for the life of ghe can, then one day they weren't.
Not passing judgement, baffle strikes happen, but this is my opinion.
The key to what happened is in the first baffle. If you look closely at the od it is not round and the edges are not even. This is also what happened to the 2nd baffle allowing it to twist. I can state with absolute certainty as a fact there was not a baffle strike on the first 3 baffles from a bullet impact.

I did not want to bore anyone with all the other details of the conditions and measurements like the blast chamber area was unevenly bulged and the tube in the 2nd baffle area was also swollen. Both these conditions are symptoms of heat. After shooting there was a rattle in the can and when the can was removed the tube being 316 had expanded and when shook the 2nd baffle twisted and jammed in the position shown. I just thought some might find it interesting how a commercial can with inconel blast baffles will actually wear out.
The industry and hobbyist use a 300 series stainless steel for the tube since it is corrosion proof and readily available. Unfortunately it has a low tensile strength @ RT that degrades further with heat.
17-4 SS is a far better choice for silencer tubes but is difficult to source in small quantities.

If a 17-4SS tube is substituted for 316 SS it can be half the wall thickness and still be stronger than the 316 both @ rt and @ 1000 F.
It appears to me that the tube swelling in the OP was a major factor in the cans failure that could be alleviated by using a better material for the tube.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136176
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130987

Rustys0702Services
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Rustys0702Services » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Unfortunately replacing the outer tube is not an option for this customer as it would require a new tax stamp and the wait associated with it. I will be replacing the inner tube and both endcaps with titantium and using 2 ss 17-4 blast baffles along with 5 grade 5 titanium baffles

User avatar
gunny50
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:11 am
Location: EU

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by gunny50 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 am

Rustys0702Services wrote:What I found when I opened up this can was worn out internals and no baffle strikes on the first 3 baffles. The 316 sleeve showed signs of wear. The 1st baffle was not round and the od severly worn. The 2nd baffle had also separated and twisted lodging in skirt. The 3rd baffle was worn to the point the bore is not centered.

These baffles are stamped. It is difficult to say with certainty if they were machined first then stamped since they are so worn. It does appear to be stamped and the bore punched at the same time

AAC silencer have baffles with an EDM bore not punched.
The EDM proces is done after the welding proces to make sure the bore is in line with the QD or threads, NOT concentric to the other tube. Sounds crazy but is correct for their production method.
Also all baffles are welded to the spacers and complete core is than welded in the outer tube.
We have all seen the pictures of welded cores so when a baffle is in there under an angel the weld broke to it was not welded which I do not think would work in their assembling line.
Image
Image

Gunny

hardcase
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by hardcase » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 am

Krisp wrote:I have a aac cyclone which they will not repair due to firing handloads. I am looking for someone who can repair this can ASAP as I would like to take it hunting in two weeks. If that time frame is not possible I will still need to get it fixed so please get in touch with me if you can do these repairs.

Thanks for the help.

Kris P. text or call me at 904-838-2933 if possible.
How did they determine you used handloads? What a CHICKEN$HT excuse !! I'm glad to here this as I'll never buy an AAC product.

Did they offer to fix the can at some cost to you or just tell you to get lost?

I had a baffle strike and with reloads and I admit it was my fault using pulled bullets from CTD. The jacket, with later inspection of a few others was cut. The can manufacturer (Liberty) replaced the core at no charge. As a result, I bought one of their .45 cans. They did say the next one would be repaired on my dime.

User avatar
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 pm
Location: USA.

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Capt. Link. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:25 am

Rustys0702Services wrote:
The key to what happened is in the first baffle. If you look closely at the od it is not round and the edges are not even. This is also what happened to the 2nd baffle allowing it to twist. I can state with absolute certainty as a fact there was not a baffle strike on the first 3 baffles from a bullet impact.

I did not want to bore anyone with all the other details of the conditions and measurements like the blast chamber area was unevenly bulged and the tube in the 2nd baffle area was also swollen. Both these conditions are symptoms of heat. After shooting there was a rattle in the can and when the can was removed the tube being 316 had expanded and when shook the 2nd baffle twisted and jammed in the position shown. I just thought some might find it interesting how a commercial can with inconel blast baffles will actually wear out.
Its obvious that the suppressor was damaged do to SAG that was caused by heat. Its not just the material choices but the structure and assembly that allow a suppressor to live in a high heat environment. You should put those baffles aside as a reminder to those who abuse a suppressor.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!

Rustys0702Services
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Re: AAC 7.62 cyclone repair

Post by Rustys0702Services » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:58 pm

I started on this can this morning. It is a mess. I removed the endcap and found the 2nd to last baffle evaporated. You can see what remains in this video.
https://youtu.be/XHDQ9cRJTvQ

The last baffle had impact damage not from a bullet but I believe from the 2nd baffle when it disintergrated. You can see the shiny spots In the stamped channel on the od. The base around the cone is clean like it was sandblasted. Here is the last baffle.
https://youtu.be/GLOQ3dqDbFI

There were no indications of baffle strikes by bullets under 10x magnification. Just sharing for your viewing pleasure.

Post Reply