422 SS for Baffles?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
User avatar
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: N.E. Texas

422 SS for Baffles?

Post by mr fixit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm

I am re-evaluating my build materials based on availability to me. I have found some 422 Stainless bar, but can't find anything really about it here for baffles. how would this do? My choices are down to 316, 416, or 422 stainless. Any real difference in using these for baffles?

partsguy22
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:24 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by partsguy22 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Of those not the 316 its by far the softest and I have no experience with the other two but the data sheet on 422 looks promising
Any reason you are ruling out 17-4PH ?

User avatar
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: N.E. Texas

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by mr fixit » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:48 pm

partsguy22 wrote:Of those not the 316 its by far the softest and I have no experience with the other two but the data sheet on 422 looks promising
Any reason you are ruling out 17-4PH ?
Just availability of the size I need, along with total cost including shipping.

jnjproto
Silent Operator
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by jnjproto » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 am

I used to make turbine bolts for power plants out of 422. I would use 316 out of what you mentioned because or corrosion resistance. If strength is more important then use 422. My go to is 17-4 because I can heat treat into the 40's Rc and make it thinner.

User avatar
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: N.E. Texas

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by mr fixit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 am

jnjproto wrote:I used to make turbine bolts for power plants out of 422. I would use 316 out of what you mentioned because or corrosion resistance. If strength is more important then use 422. My go to is 17-4 because I can heat treat into the 40's Rc and make it thinner.
Thanks for the information. What is 422 like to machine?

I'm not terribly worried about corrosion on the baffles, in fact my original plan was to use 4140 for baffles but availability and cost have caused me to look further.

User avatar
fishman
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1444
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by fishman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm

For what caliber?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647

User avatar
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: N.E. Texas

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by mr fixit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:31 pm

fishman wrote:For what caliber?
5.56 and .308

jnjproto
Silent Operator
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by jnjproto » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:08 am

422 is nice to machine. Hit your speeds and feeds and go to town.

BinaryAndy
Silent Operator
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by BinaryAndy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:55 pm

416 and 422 are both good options. 422 especially has some pretty good properties at high temperatures. Neither has quite the strength of heat treated 4140 or 17-4, but they're stronger than anything else that's commonly used for suppressors.

Are you saying 416 and 422 are easier to get and/or cheaper for you than 4140? That's... unusual. 4140 is cheap and plentiful.
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02

User avatar
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: N.E. Texas

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by mr fixit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 pm

BinaryAndy wrote:416 and 422 are both good options. 422 especially has some pretty good properties at high temperatures. Neither has quite the strength of heat treated 4140 or 17-4, but they're stronger than anything else that's commonly used for suppressors.

Are you saying 416 and 422 are easier to get and/or cheaper for you than 4140? That's... unusual. 4140 is cheap and plentiful.
Drops for sale.

I keep going back and forth and forth and back on materials. I think it is easy to overthink things. Been doing quite a bit of research and reading here, as well as some posts on other sites by Dr. Dater. My plan is now to just use 4130 tube and 4140 for baffles. I'll parkerize them. The 4140 is annealed, so I may try to heat treat them after making the cones. I think I can do that with a torch heating it to the point it looses is magnetic draw and quickly dunk in oil. My muzzle brake will be 17-4 mainly cause I already have some 17-4 rod to play with.

BinaryAndy
Silent Operator
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by BinaryAndy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm

4140 Silencer parts are usually thin enough that you can air quench them. No need for oil, just put them in front of a fan or blow compressed air at them. You'll get less movement that way.

You'll want to temper everything afterwards. You can get a decent temper on 4140 by cranking up the oven in your kitchen as hot as it goes (500-550 degrees F) and baking the parts for an hour or so.
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02

User avatar
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 pm
Location: N.E. Texas

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by mr fixit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm

BinaryAndy wrote:4140 Silencer parts are usually thin enough that you can air quench them. No need for oil, just put them in front of a fan or blow compressed air at them. You'll get less movement that way.

You'll want to temper everything afterwards. You can get a decent temper on 4140 by cranking up the oven in your kitchen as hot as it goes (500-550 degrees F) and baking the parts for an hour or so.
Thanks for that info. I had heard of putting them in the oven on the cleaning cycle.

How much will this help? is it even needed?

BinaryAndy
Silent Operator
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: Lancaster County, PA

Re: 422 SS for Baffles?

Post by BinaryAndy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:19 am

Annealed 4140 has a yield strength of 60-70 ksi. Quenched and tempered 4140 has a yield strength of 150-250 ksi depending on the temper, and it will be harder and more wear resistant. Quenched but not tempered, it will be more brittle than you want. It makes a big difference. The same goes for 416 and 422, but the numbers are different.
Andy Gamble
Binary Arms
07/02

Post Reply