radial vs 60 degree cones vs combination of two

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

radial vs 60 degree cones vs combination of two

Post by Hannibalbarca »

I'll be buying quite a few cones for a few builds(1.347 OD cones in 1.35 and 1.355 stainless steel and titanium tubes). cones either will be stainless steel or titanium.

I'm looking for the best suppression both in high psi supers and low psi subs, from 223 to 458 caliber.
ive read that radials perform better on subs but i know many high pressure rated commercial cans use radials but i think this might be due to cost and not getting the best performance since radials are easier to make.

would it make sense to have half radial and have 60 degree? say 6 60 degree and 6 radial? or 60 degree radial 60 degree radial and so on?
also in regards to clipping baffles, say the cone face is .405 wide and its for 308, so you make the hole .360 in diameter. would you clip the cone on the sides or would you leave it as is?
how about blast chamber size? i imagine with 60 degree it could be smaller and i also imagine 60 degree are stronger structurally vs radial.
ive also been thanking on using radial cone end caps, how much of a suppression effect would this have?
another thing ive thought of is drilling a few holes into the baffles to create turbulence. youll have the main hole and gas will be coming straight into there but youll also have smaller holes with streams of air going much faster disrupting the main air jet. i imagine it would also make it so that the blast chamber doesnt need to be as long.
also here are the specs for the cans
apogee tube 8.375 titanium with 5 stainless and 4 titanium(type of cone that will be used unsure)
apogee 10.75 stainless steel and 12 stainless steel cones.

I'm really looking for hard numbers here, if anyone has data from their own or others testing.