AJ Guns recoil booster - initial impressions

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

AJ Guns recoil booster - initial impressions

Post by Hannibalbarca »

Today I took out my cz75 sp01 tactical urban great edition and tested the AJ guns 1/2x28 recoil booster.
9 rounds of ppu 124 grain NATO spec over run
9 rounds of ppu 158 grain sub sonic
5 rounds of 115 grain plinking ammo standard velocity, blazer I think.
Attached the booster to my gun and an apogee 8.375 stainless tube plus a steel .578x28 Adapter - i believe it weighs just under 28 ounces and I think the spring in the booster was for 45 not 9mm. The tube acted as a weight to test the booster and it definitely succeeded in it's function to dislocate the weight from the barrel when firing. Even without the extra back pressure it worked flawlessly.

My pistol was broken in and lubed, as was the piston and housing. That's only 23 rounds through it but the brass ejected very nicely and flew about 4 feet, a little less maybe, not sure exactly how much since I wasn’t paying attention to that and I was right beside a slope. Great in function certainly and its stainless steel(316 to be specifically, all the parts of it). Only downside is the weight of 7.4 OZ(I don’t personally care too much), propriatary pistons and the fact that the booster can’t be rotated to change point of impact. There are machined recesses in the housing where the lugs slide in(if you look up the booster and see some photos of it you’ll see exactly what I mean), this goes for the full length of the housing, from end of the threading in the front cap to the exit hole, if you were to remove the corresponding walls of the recesses you’d then be able to make it so that the booster can be rotated while keeping the piston in place as you would with a liberty or a sdta booster. I’m not sure what the finish is but it’s slick and matte, maybe a cerakote or black oxide or zinc oxide? Edit, it’s a black slightly glossy powder coat. Also for the cap that retains the piston, there’s four lugs around the outside to grab onto to thread it on. Also a lot of what look like spanner wrench holes around on it as well, not sure what size spanner wrench that you’d use for those holes though.

I'll do a proper review after form1(in a year) I'm sure it will be even more reliable with the extra back pressure. I'll do a 250 round test of normal plinking ammo then and update this post. I'm pleased with the purchase and give this a thumbs up.
This is also probably the only review of it online.
cpy911
Senior Silent Operator

Re: AJ Guns recoil booster - initial impressions

Post by cpy911 »

Any updates? That thing is heavy!