“Light” B cell 9mm suppressor - tell me your thoughts

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

“Light” B cell 9mm suppressor - tell me your thoughts

Post by Hannibalbarca »

Tell me what you think of this, I’m really interested in the spacing here and number of baffles vs spacing.

SDTA B cell ti tube
Sdta B cell ti end cap
Sdta booster fitted directly into tube
For the baffles and spacing, going from end cap to the booster.

End cap is a bit hollow and has some space.
Turn down a 549c del west custom ti vsr and fit that into this hollow section. I’d also create a small spacer using stainless .003 shim stock .021 thick to fit unto the vsr and be in between it and the next baffle. The vsr will also have a double clip and I’d enlarge/hollow out the bottom a little bit and they’d need to be enlarged for 9mm. The 549c has an internal diameter of I believe .345

Next 4 baffles are del West 549b ti vsrs double clipped with a .375(actual spacer is of course longer) space between the tip of the cone to the bottom of the next vsr.

Next 3 baffles will be a 549c vsr followed by a .25 long spacer and a jmpf stainless cup cone Which will need to be shortened

Next 3 baffles will be totality industries B cell 17-4 ph h900 baffles with a double hybrid clip. The first one will have a .25 spacer between the jmpf cone and the totality industries cone. Then it’s .5 spacing and a final spacer for the booster and first Totality industries cone.

That will be a total of 14 baffles and the space between the end of the booster and tip of final cone will be .25 to .375 inches. I’ll have to adjust the lengths of spacers and the jmpf cones to achieve that and maybe remove one.
I might go with all 549bs instead as well and adjust the spacer length appropriately.
This will be a lighter and smaller diameter 9mm can so I can better use the sights. Will be firing anything from 160 grain hardcast sub Sonics to hot +p+ 115 and 124 grain from a cz75 5.2 inch barrel.
This is something I just came up with so tell me what you think. Like I said I’m really interested in what everyone thinks of the spacer size and whether it would be better to go with larger spacing and a few less baffles or if these specifications are better.
Also, would it even be worth it to use the 549s given I’d need to enlarge them from .345 to .4? That wouldn’t leave much material and a short cone is even more short. With those I also had an idea to drill mouse holes at the base and straight down.
Paco664

Re: “Light” B cell 9mm suppressor - tell me your thoughts

Post by Paco664 »

"B cell battery"???
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Are you a member on form 1 builder? They do a lot more solvent trap and VSR builds over there. Most of the builds here are from scratch.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Why do you want to use valve spring retainers that cost more than incomplete baffles to begin with and then have to be modified?
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
cdakers

Post by cdakers »

Way too many baffles. You aren't giving the gases any room to expand and cool. Just my 2 cents.
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

ECCO Machine wrote:Why do you want to use valve spring retainers that cost more than incomplete baffles to begin with and then have to be modified?
I got some for free.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Hannibalbarca wrote:
ECCO Machine wrote:Why do you want to use valve spring retainers that cost more than incomplete baffles to begin with and then have to be modified?
I got some for free.
Free s--t is still s--t. (Not implying that a vsr can can't be nice)
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Hannibalbarca
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hannibalbarca »

cdakers wrote:Way too many baffles. You aren't giving the gases any room to expand and cool. Just my 2 cents.
See I was thinking the same, for spacing, I thought .375 was enough and also the spacing is greater near the front where the higher pressure is, 9mm isn’t high pressure so I figure that more baffles will help near the end of the suppressor.
Then again there isn’t that much space for expansion then again something like the rugged obsidian 9mm has 12 baffles and is shorter.