Endcap thread length?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cdhknives
Silent But Deadly

Re: Endcap thread length?

Post by cdhknives »

I reground my bit, cut a wider relief groove, upped the spindle speed to 418 RPM, girded my loins, and let 'er rip. It looks a LOT better, right off the bit as shown...no filing or sanding to smooth it up, just a couple of spring passes. The internal threads are from a Hertel 1/2-28 tap...not single pointed. I think I am ready to part it off the bar unless someone has a suggestion. I was going to try and lighten it by scalloping the face but I think the benefit is minimal and risk substantial.

YHM Phantom 30 cal, 22lr form 1 build, 45 cal form 1 in progress
Atlas 10x36
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

You still want to file or stone the burrs off the thread crests, regardless how clean the thread looks. Otherwise the burrs can make the thread feel tighter than it really is. If you're not cutting at CNC speeds, you should assume you've always got burrs at the thread crests, even if they're minor.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

If you have a micrometer carriage stop, you can use that more effectively than trying to watch the cutter come up to the shoulder with chips and smoke obscuring your view. That's how I do it; set the stop and disengage half nuts when the carriage is about to touch the stop.
I'd recommend not locking the carriage stop in place if anyone does this. I've cra... I mean, I know a guy who's crashed a lathe doing this.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I work with 17-4 almost daily and I find it very easy to get a great finish.

However a slightly damaged insert can cause a crappy finish. Make sure you can tell the difference between a fresh insert and one that is worn or chipped.

Also, as was previously posted run the fastest speed you can handle. It really responds well to higher rpm
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Saw your update after my post went to the second page. Good deal with the higher RPM. The lathe I use has 424 rpm and that's where I work most often

Looks like you're doing good