Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sub $1k lathe including shipping 8x16 with 5” chuck 1.5” pass thru

Post by #40Fan »

I think it really could use a better motor! And quality control....and better 3 jaw chuck....and drive belt system....and....There were casting and machining issues all over the place on this thing.

One example on the tail stock.

I finally got it back together last night and mounted on my bench. Tossed on the 3 jaw chuck and checked the run out with an indicating rod. Best I could get out of it was with the jaws in the original position and the orientation that I had it mounted on the first try... .008" run out. :( I decided to go ahead and start making the backing plate adapter for my 4 jaw chuck. Cast iron makes a MESS!

I originally punched a hole in the piece with a hole saw. Then mounted it in the 3 jaw and faced it, cleaned up the outside just a little and then started working on the relief for the 95mm registration on the spindle.

As I was getting close to the inside diameter, I'd leave it chucked up, but remove the 3 jaw from the spindle and check the fit. After a couple of tries, I had it tight enough that it would hold itself on the spindle with the 3 jaw still attached. I then greased up the spindle to mark the locations of the holes.

Can just make out the hole impressions of the grease.

I cleaned everything off, put the 3 jaw back in while still holding the piece and cut another step out of the center. Plan to remove as much weight as possible after the adapter is bolted to the spindle. You can also see I drilled the holes and chamfered so I can tap them.

Tapped and mounted to the spindle using the studs that came with the lathe. Put a couple drops of green lock-tite to keep the studs from moving when taking off the nuts on the backside.

I faced the front side and started reducing the outer diameter to 6" and gave up for the night.

During all of the facing and outside diameter turning, I could easily stall the motor. I was constantly having to adjust the speed knob to keep it in optimum speeds while cutting and then immediately lowering it after a cut to keep it from bouncing off the rev limiter. Before facing the second side, the piece of cast iron was way out of balance and would shake my whole bench if I let it get over 800 rpms, so there was a fine line I was balancing the whole time.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Did you find major casting flaws in the carriage and main ways? I am wondering what the next weakest link is if you beef up the motor. For the capabilities this machine has I would say it is worth considering it a "lathe kit"....just wondering where the inadequacies are going to pop up next.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

There was defect on the top of the carriage where the cross slide moves. It was all the way to the back, so won't be too much of a problem.

The main ways looked good.

Now, I'm not sure if the motor is being pulled down or if the belt is slipping. Everything in the drive train was covered in oil and I tried to clean them the best I could...multiple times. With the tiny belts that are on there and the way you tension them, I am scared to over tighten and snap one. Who knows what it would take to get another one. I am going to start looking for toothed pulleys to replace the entire drive system with. It does have a high/low setup, but I will end up ditching that if I go the toothed route.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Edit: Ah, never mind. I was able to make the slot in the gear holder a little longer to get all of the gears to fit. Adjusting the gears leaves a lot to be desired though.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

My first barrel threading ever. 9/16-24 on a 6.5 CM barrel.

Is bluing it the best way to go?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

#40Fan wrote:My first barrel threading ever. 9/16-24 on a 6.5 CM barrel.

Is bluing it the best way to go?
What's up with the step in the shoulder?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Fits the step in my cheap $35 13/16-16 external thread brake.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156037

Rear cap and brake.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

#40Fan wrote:Fits the step in my cheap $35 13/16-16 external thread brake.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156037

Rear cap and brake.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Last edited by #40Fan on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

The Gear chart with added 3D printed gears updated June 1st 2020 these combos should fit. The program needed banjo length to constrain what gears are allowed to be combined. The old chart gears didn’t fit.

Last edited by Hard_ware on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Sorry, ffishman had me into the .gif mood in this thread...

Thanks, hard_wire.

I have heard back from the seller I purchased my lathe from and I am supposed to be getting some replacement parts. We'll see though.
Hard_ware
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hard_ware »

No problem.

Any projects with lathe yet?
NRA Life Member
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Waiting for a couple more stamps.

Threading my barrels in the meantime. Still need another gauge from PTG to show so I can get my .243 barrels done. Between the cost of having them threaded, plus the time to drive there and back to get it done at the nearest gunsmith I trust, this lathe has already paid for itself.

Picked up a 12 tpi lead screw, half nuts and thread dial from a Grizzly G0768. The Grizzly has a reversing gear box, so the lead screw isn't long enough to use as is. I think I am going to end up making the reversing box. Just waiting for a chunk of SS rod and my gear cutters to show up.
JackHinson

Post by JackHinson »

#40Fan wrote:Waiting for a couple more stamps.

Threading my barrels in the meantime. Still need another gauge from PTG to show so I can get my .243 barrels done. Between the cost of having them threaded, plus the time to drive there and back to get it done at the nearest gunsmith I trust, this lathe has already paid for itself.

Picked up a 12 tpi lead screw, half nuts and thread dial from a Grizzly G0768. The Grizzly has a reversing gear box, so the lead screw isn't long enough to use as is. I think I am going to end up making the reversing box. Just waiting for a chunk of SS rod and my gear cutters to show up.
I joined to post this, basically. I have a Grizzly G0768 sitting in my office and the machine pictured appears to be identical to it, with the only exceptions being the spindle itself and the reversing gearbox.

If one of you with this machine could post dimensions for the spindle the next time you have it out, I'd appreciate it!
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

JackHinson wrote:
#40Fan wrote:Waiting for a couple more stamps.

I joined to post this, basically. I have a Grizzly G0768 sitting in my office and the machine pictured appears to be identical to it, with the only exceptions being the spindle itself and the reversing gearbox.

If one of you with this machine could post dimensions for the spindle the next time you have it out, I'd appreciate it!
I could do that.

Could you get me some dimensions of the reverse gear box? Maybe some pictures of the inside as well?
shtf45acp

Post by shtf45acp »

I joined to follow this thread. I'm ready to purchase a mini lathe and came across this.

I'm up in the air on which one to get. I've talked to #40fan a few times on YouTube. Seems like the price dropped a bit on ebay. These lathes from China seem to have worse quality control than the grizzly.

The large bore direct China lathe
Pros- Cheaper $$$$ by a couple hundred bucks
Large spindle bore already done
Cons- Quality seems to be lesser than the grizzly
Less included accessories than grizzly
The metric lead screw
No reversing lead screw

Grizzly G0768
Pros- Better quality
Comes with a lot more accessories than the Chinese
Has reversing lead screw gear box
Cons- Price is a lot more
Has small 3/4 spindle bore

So do I buy the import for $850 to $900 and make a reversing dog leg, fix the quality control issues, use the money saved to buy the accessories needed?

Or do I buy the grizzly G0768 for $1370, have the reversing gear box and make the larger spindle?

I have found the bearings and I definitely think it is possible to make the grizzly a large bore.
shtf45acp

Post by shtf45acp »

#40fan...... I order and received the grizzly G0768. I currently have it completely stripped so if you would like measurements or pictures of the lead screw gear box let me know.

I plan on doing the large bore spindle to this lathe in the future. Right now I'm just going over it and tuning everything.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Yes, I'd like to see a few pictures of the inside. How is it mounted?

What I am really looking for is the measurement from the top to the middle of the bore (green lines in pic below) for the bearing that holds the lead screw heading toward the apron/half nuts. Middle of bearing bore to back of gear box would be nice too. Overall dimensions would be great as well.

Also, what does the setscrew circled in red do?

On a side note, I received replacement parts for my TS-210 today. A new tailstock, just the upper portion that was damaged. A new saddle. Two new gears that were damaged when they were cutting the bushings as well as a new pivot arm/change gear holder. Even though the new holder is just as fucked as the old one. Not a big deal as I have been making a new one.
shtf45acp

Post by shtf45acp »

Sure I'll get you everything this evening. I just finished cleaning all the crap they call grease out of it. I looked like vaseline mixed with what I'm assuming is casting sand that wasn't cleaned out. Also the bearings were very loose so I'm waiting on new skf bearings to come before it can go back together.
shtf45acp

Post by shtf45acp »

#40Fan wrote:Yes, I'd like to see a few pictures of the inside. How is it mounted?

What I am really looking for is the measurement from the top to the middle of the bore (green lines in pic below) for the bearing that holds the lead screw heading toward the apron/half nuts. Middle of bearing bore to back of gear box would be nice too. Overall dimensions would be great as well.

Also, what does the setscrew circled in red do?

On a side note, I received replacement parts for my TS-210 today. A new tailstock, just the upper portion that was damaged. A new saddle. Two new gears that were damaged when they were cutting the bushings as well as a new pivot arm/change gear holder. Even though the new holder is just as fucked as the old one. Not a big deal as I have been making a new one.
The set screw doesn't do anything..... it appears to be just a quick opening to possibly pump in more grease?

Here should be the overall dimensions of the gear box. If I'm missing any let me know.

I wish it was oil bath but it could possibly be hard to keep the oil in. The box is completely open in the back, the front and both the input and output. You could possibly use RTV to seal it off but since it really isn't a machined surface I don't know if it would fully seal. Also you would have to figure out seals for the input and output shafts.

I'm just planning on using synthetic grease. The grease that it came with was horrible as were the bearings.

Overall the lathe is decent. There wasn't any casting flaws as you showed on the TS-210. The gib for the cross slide was nice and straight and while a little tight is smooth and operates nicely. The compound gib was the same. Both dials however have quite a bit of back lash and I plan on modifying them with bearings as you have.

The worst part is the saddle clamps. They provide no way to tension the clamps while providing a decent fit. If you let the bolts to loose they work their way out. If they are to tight then the saddle won't slide. I'll have to get some shim stock and see what I can work out till I can make new clamps out of brass.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Thanks bunch! Those measurements and pics will be a big help.

I had the same issues with the saddle clamps. I just stuck some lock-tite on the bolts to hold them in place. Now that I have a new replacement saddle, I'll work on making it better.
SloppySutter

Post by SloppySutter »

Hey Guys,

Just purchased this very same lathe (with a brushless motor though) and I will be active here over the next few days as I show my upgrades. I'll take lots of pictures and try and be a solid contributor to this thread. This thread is (so far) the best source of info for these 8x16 bench lathes. #40Fan is a boss for making all those Youtube videos. Sure hope this thread isn't dead...
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Awesome. Let us know how everything goes.
Bgdawgrr

Post by Bgdawgrr »

I feel like I need a lathe in my life.
In your opinions, how do these lathes compare to the old Atlas/Craftman 618s?
I'm seeing those in the area for ~$1200 with various amounts of tools.
Would you go with these and tune them up, or oldschool in very good condition?
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

I can't answer that because I have only had the opportunity to use two lathes. This one and my HF 7x12.