Patent Pending + First Titanium Piece

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Patent Pending + First Titanium Piece

Post by #40Fan »

Smoke and chip remover when boring or threading all the way through a part. :lol:

I set up my vacuum cleaner to suck through the spindle bore and exhaust the fumes out of the chimney. Pulls away all of the smoke and chips easily.

Made my first piece ever using titanium. Rear cap to fit a DM 1.5" tube and accept a 13/16-16 muzzle brake.

Last edited by #40Fan on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Patent Pending + First Titanium Piece

Post by fishman »

That would be the rear cap.

Nice job. Titanium isnt as hard to machine as some people claim it is.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Edited my post to fix the mistake.

It wasn't too bad to machine at all. Getting the one inch chunk cut off from the ten inch piece that I ordered....now that was another story.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Pulling a vacuum on the spindle is inventive to say the least.I use a fan in the window to suck out the smoke!

Welcome to Titanium membership.

The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Another thing I noticed and forgot to mention, the vacuum kept the part cool!
Pulling a vacuum on the spindle is inventive to say the least. I use a fan in the window to suck out the smoke!
Unfortunately, in my basement, there aren't any windows that open.

I should probably make something to hold the hose to the gear cover instead of using the fixture I made to hold the hose close to the back of the spindle.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

#40Fan wrote:Another thing I noticed and forgot to mention, the vacuum kept the part cool!

Unfortunately, in my basement, there aren't any windows that open.

I should probably make something to hold the hose to the gear cover instead of using the fixture I made to hold the hose close to the back of the spindle.
I would add a activated charcoal filter to your set up,smoky oil will sink up the place.The air movement is great but dose little to keep the tool cool.I use a product called Cool Tool that is mixed with water.It works very well will not cause rust and is fairly inexpensive.Liquid cooling right on the cutting edge is best.A drip system built from a pop bottle can be pressed into service and it will eliminate the smoke or use a spray bottle.I reserve this type of cooling only for hardened steels or Titanium alloys where the heat can be intense.Flood, mist or low temp air cooling systems work well but can be expensive or require a compressor.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895