Anyone tried the Ti tubing on Ebay from China

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Anyone tried the Ti tubing on Ebay from China

Post by daviscustom »

Considering the Ti tubing on Ebay, grade 9, 1.5" diam. .028" wall thickness ....free super slow shipping from China.
Any one role the dice and try them out? $38 for 22" is a good price, especially without the $20+ dollars in shipping that a lot of places are charging.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
partsguy22
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Anyone tried the Ti tubing on Ebay from China

Post by partsguy22 »

I bought some to use as space material for my 9mm can
Its holding up fine and for much less than anywhere else I could find...
There is also a guy/company selling drop or off cuts from Israel that is gtg
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Just find out if it's annealed or CWSR and make your decision. CWSR is stronger, but if you have to reduce wall thickness, it tends to oblong badly due to stresses in the material from forming & tempering. I spent about 3 hours the other day straightening a piece of 1.5" OD .035 wall I had to turn down to .030" wall, and even though I had a 1.428" mandrel through the 1.430" ID, instead of staying at a 1.495" OD round with maybe .002" variation, the stuff went egg shape to the tune of 1.513" x 1.468" in some areas as soon as I took the mandrel out.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Looks like it is annealed. Will that still be ok for .308?....it is .028 thickness. Planning to weld the endcaps.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

daviscustom wrote:Looks like it is annealed. Will that still be ok for .308?....it is .028 thickness. Planning to weld the endcaps.
.028" wall annealed is getting pretty sketchy for rifles. I have .028" CWSR tube on a monocore that I've run on my .25-06, but the thinnest I use in anything production is .035" wall on my rimfire & pistol cans, and on my ultralight Phantom 8 (1.5x8", 9 ounce hunting can), and though I have put 300 RUM and full auto .308 fire through .035" wall cans of mine, my production full auto & magnum rated rifle cans are all .054" or thicker with CWSR.

Gr. 9 CWSR is 105 KSI TYS, while annelaed is only 72 KSI. Pretty significant difference.

I know it sucks paying shipping, but you're out all your time and a $200 tax stamp if the tube fails. You can get a foot of gr. 9 CWSR 1.5" .039 wall from Tiger metals for about $45 shipped, or about $60 for .054" wall.

https://www.tigertitanium.com/storek/Tube/3Al-2.5V
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

ECCO Machine wrote:
daviscustom wrote:Looks like it is annealed. Will that still be ok for .308?....it is .028 thickness. Planning to weld the endcaps.
.028" wall annealed is getting pretty sketchy for rifles. I have .028" CWSR tube on a monocore that I've run on my .25-06, but the thinnest I use in anything production is .035" wall on my rimfire & pistol cans, and on my ultralight Phantom 8 (1.5x8", 9 ounce hunting can), and though I have put 300 RUM and full auto .308 fire through .035" wall cans of mine, my production full auto & magnum rated rifle cans are all .054" or thicker with CWSR.

Gr. 9 CWSR is 105 KSI TYS, while annelaed is only 72 KSI. Pretty significant difference.

I know it sucks paying shipping, but you're out all your time and a $200 tax stamp if the tube fails. You can get a foot of gr. 9 CWSR 1.5" .039 wall from Tiger metals for about $45 shipped, or about $60 for .054" wall.

<a class="vglnk" href="https://www.tigertitanium.com/storek/Tube/3Al-2.5V" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>tigertitanium</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>storek</span><span>/</span><span>Tube</span><span>/</span><span>3Al</span><span>-</span><span>2</span><span>.</span><span>5V</span></a>
That sounded really thin, but didn't really know the standard thickness for Ti tubes. I haven't looked at Tiger yet, I found some fairly reasonable prices at Ti Joe's.....but I was looking at thinner tube still. I would feel more comfortable buying my main tube from a reputable dealer with certs anyway I think. I'll look for .054". I didn't really need 20+" of it anyway so it will all even out somewhat.

Definitely will be looking at CWSR just for peace of mind. Have you ever tried honing the ID to get it uniform? .....wondering if it will cause the tube to deform as well. That is what I have done on stainless tubes in the past.