7,62x39 suppressor question

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jeanpierre

7,62x39 suppressor question

Post by Jeanpierre »

I would like to use the existing can and adjust the internal arrangement for 7.62x39.
Does this rough design have any chance? The dimensions are not exactly accurate and the number of freeze plug baffles, it's just a rough drawing. The internal layout can vary and extend the expansion chamber.
I need your reference if it can work with a small internal diameter of 25.4mm or what to edit.
Material is stainless

Thx

fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: 7,62x39 suppressor question

Post by fishman »

It will be loud with 25.4 (1") internal diameter.

A good baffle design is more important than the spacing
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Jeanpierre

Post by Jeanpierre »

Unfortunately, only this can was originally intended for the pistol. Clearly, it will not be the quietest, but if it suppresses at least half the explosion, it will be good. It will mainly shoot supersonic ammunition

I wondered how to expand the expansion chamber quickly and add a 30-40mm long tube in the diffractor style to the first explosive baffle
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Sir reshape the baffles to look like these,then remove the spacers to close space baffles towards the front placing spacers to the rear .You will now have a large expansion chamber followed by a close spaced stack.This will help using the original parts.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Jeanpierre

Post by Jeanpierre »

Okay, thank you sir for the tip, I'll try to overwork it.......So I have to cancel all the distances and instead supply them with more baffles??
I'm going to drill holes with a 10.5mm diameter drill, also due to concentricity and safety.
Is this average unnecessarily large or can it be used?
I have noticed that the original Soviet concepts of PBS and the Finnish AK suppressor also use enormous holes while working well
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Lose the big space at the front. That's better used for baffles.

1" ID is definitely too small for an effective centerfire rifle suppressor. Most rifle cans are 1.5" to 1.75" OD for a reason, with a handful that are 1.375". 1" tubes are for rimfires.

If I were building a can specifically geared toward supersonic 7.62x39, I would do 1.5" OD tube, 7" or 8" length, 7-9 50° cone baffles. If I were wanting a compact model to just take the edge off, still 1.5" OD, but I'd drop it back to 5" or 6" length with 5-7 baffles.

If this is going on an AK, SKS or other op rod gun, know that no matter what you do with your can, it won't be hearing safe. The AR is about the only gas operated rifle which can realize shooter's ear dBs under 140 (and not by a lot). AKs and FALs tend to push north of 145 dBA, will definitely snap your ears.

Lastly, if you are in the USA, know that you cannot legally make a new baffle stack for your form 1 suppressor. The username and use of metric measurements suggests to me you may not be, but I'd be remiss to not mention that. You can rearrange or remove & destroy baffles here, but you cannot make new ones, nor can you enlarge the through bore, or change the length. An SOT can make new baffles or cores for existing cans. Nobody can increase the caliber, and length alterations are permitted only as minimal shortening for repair purposes.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Are you in the United states? If so, what caliber is it registered in?

My 7.62 can has 0.375 inch (roughly 9.5mm) baffle holes
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
Jeanpierre

Post by Jeanpierre »

Europe
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Jeanpierre wrote:Okay, thank you sir for the tip, I'll try to overwork it.......So I have to cancel all the distances and instead supply them with more baffles??
I'm going to drill holes with a 10.5mm diameter drill, also due to concentricity and safety.
Is this average unnecessarily large or can it be used?
I have noticed that the original Soviet concepts of PBS and the Finnish AK suppressor also use enormous holes while working well
The Soviet & Finnish military use large clearances to allow for field expedient fitting of a suppressor....ie: muzzle threading with a die and wrench.The other issue is a AK bore is often like a snake squirming around so using enormous holes keeps the suppressor from becoming a missile. I'm not impressed with either country's suppressors though I suspect individual accomplishments have been made.
Move all eight baffles forward and add a blast baffle.Try 9 to 10 mm for a bore size and try to keep it concentric.To increase performance much more would require better use of the space and or better baffles as pointed out by Ecco,Fishman.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Jeanpierre

Post by Jeanpierre »

Thank you so much for valuable advice

At my current momentum, I was attacked by these two variants, which I could easily implement

Which one could work better?

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Jeanpierre wrote:Thank you so much for valuable advice

At my current momentum, I was attacked by these two variants, which I could easily implement

Which one could work better?

The one on the right.

I'm not kidding about bigger tube, though. You're going to be very disappointed with such a skinny, low volume thing on a centerfire rifle.
Jeanpierre

Post by Jeanpierre »

Will the dimming expansion chamber not be affected by the design on the right? Can not a can-grenade or can drastically increase the back pressure?

I'm aware that the can is too thin, it was used for the gun and it worked with other content as a champion.
But there is no other available. its small internal diameter is also given by thick-walled distances, the net inner diameter of the can is about 30mm

If the proposal worked at least half well, it would be a win
Last edited by Jeanpierre on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Jeanpierre wrote:Will the dimming expansion chamber not be affected by the design on the right? Can not a can-grenade or can drastically increase the back pressure?
The design on the right is very similar to virtually any cone baffle rifle suppressor. Whether or not they hold together is a product of materials & execution, not expansion chamber volume.
Jeanpierre

Post by Jeanpierre »

I made a design similar to something between these two designs and I must say that this is not the worst. It doesn't sound as quiet as an unimpressed rimfire rifle, but it can be fired without headphones without the shooter being shocked by the noise, even on a partially covered shooting range. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to accurately measure expensive equipment
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Good job. Can we see pictures?

5.56 form 1:
sasgun

Post by sasgun »

Why not use Radial baffles,i would recommend dropping it to 8 cones Open the spacing up between baffles (1,2,3) to 20mm and (4-8) 14mm. :wink: