A friend swung by this morning...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: A friend swung by this morning...

Post by ECCO Machine »

fishman wrote:
Sergeant wrote:How'd you get that to stop? Or did it just go away?
Shoot 500 rounds unsuppressed. An 18" barrel with hunting loads still rings my ears and is disorienting. A 28" barrel is like nothing to me anymore.

Theres a reason I have a salvo12 in NFA jail
You know that you can't "condition" your ears, right?

They stopped being rung because your hearing is damaged. Anything over 140 dB can cause instant, permanent damage. Those high intensity noises literally snap off the stereocilia.

Most NIHL is caused by the damage and eventual death of these hair cells. Unlike bird and amphibian hair cells, human hair cells don’t grow back. They are gone for good.......................
NIHL can also be caused by extremely loud bursts of sound, such as gunshots or explosions, which can rupture the eardrum or damage the bones in the middle ear. This kind of NIHL can be immediate and permanent.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise- ... aring-loss
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I'm not certain of course, but suspect that fishman was joking, at his own expense.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Yes I'm aware that my ears are damaged, hence the reference to my salvo12 purchase. Yes, I was joking about my injury being a built up resistance to tinnitus. I do actually seem to have a resistance to ears ringing from shotgun shooting, but it comes at a cost of a very very faint constant ringing. So faint that I don't actually hear it unless it's very quiet and I consciously listen for it. My brother's ears are far worse. I attribute it to him hunting with a semi auto (and a ported choke) for the past 5 years while I used a pump.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

His adapter showed up earlier then expected. He came right over and I chucked up the center piece, threaded it and installed the adapter.

It is one of those 1/2"-28 to 5/8"-24.

Before he ran off with it, I took all of the individual pieces and weighed them. Came to a total of 8.27 oz.

#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

It has a nice tone, but it didn't sound too quiet
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Well to be fair .17HMR is doing double the speed limit at least, so lots of ultrasonic crack. There seemed to be substantial muzzle blast reduction, if not massive reduction, but it's hard to tell on camera. Might show off the muzzle blast reduction better, or more accurately anyway, if you fired a yard or two in front of the camera, shooting away.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

a_canadian wrote:Well to be fair .17HMR is doing double the speed limit at least, so lots of ultrasonic crack. There seemed to be substantial muzzle blast reduction, if not massive reduction, but it's hard to tell on camera. Might show off the muzzle blast reduction better, or more accurately anyway, if you fired a yard or two in front of the camera, shooting away.
When he gets done with lunch, I'll see if we can do that.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Okay. I'm happy to eat crow. That's actually impressive. Seems your friend designed and you built a rather effective suppressor. Congratulations.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

I'm sure he'd say thanks and I'll say it too. Thanks.
Paco664

Post by Paco664 »

wow.... seriously.... impressive to my ears...
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

I'd have to hear it in person to pass judgement, or better yet, meter it. Noise leveling mics and the limits of the software don't give a good representation of actual SPL reduction

This is my Vorticis on a Suomi subgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Ti7S2t5Ns

Sounds amazing, right?

Actual shooter's ear noise levels? 136 dBA with subs, 141 with supers. Muzzle was much lower, but there's significant port noise even with the heavy >2 lb bolt.
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

Excellent work. I'm glad that you and your friend tried something different and succeeded. When you have machine tools that create nearly anything that you imagine why make an exact replica of someone else's suppressor?

Ecco Machine, the sound difference is obvious. Remember that this is dedicated to .17HMR bolt action rifles. Even if the noise reduction wasn't impressive, which it is, there is little to gain from lowering the noise of the muzzle blast to a level below the supersonic crack.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

0101silent wrote: Ecco Machine, the sound difference is obvious. Remember that this is dedicated to .17HMR bolt action rifles. Even if the noise reduction wasn't impressive, which it is, there is little to gain from lowering the noise of the muzzle blast to a level below the supersonic crack.
Except sonic crack doesn't occur right out of the gate, and tiny bullets like .17 don't have much of one.

Shooting starting at :36, pay attention to the difference that even the mic pics up clearly when the rounds are going down range to the berm @ 120 yards vs. impacting the dirt 10 feet away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpLd44szJq8

The sonic crack of the .17 HMR may be in the 130s, but it won't happen until the bullet is >10 feet from shooter's ear. Reflection & refraction notwithstanding, the attenuation of SPL is about -6 dB for every doubling of distance, so a 132 dB sonic crack occurring 10-12 feet from the shooter's ear will be roughly equal to a 123 dB muzzle report at 3.5'.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

ECCO Machine wrote:I'd have to hear it in person to pass judgement, or better yet, meter it. Noise leveling mics and the limits of the software don't give a good representation of actual SPL reduction
Give me a date and a place and I bet I can make it happen. We're located an hour south of Limon.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

#40Fan wrote:
Give me a date and a place and I bet I can make it happen. We're located an hour south of Limon.
If you just want to get some numbers on a few shots, we can do that about any time during business hours at my shop in Elizabeth.

If you want to make a range day of it, that'll take a bit more planning with my crazy schedule, but doable now that the weather is getting decent!
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Numbers is all that I'd like to see.