A friend swung by this morning...

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

A friend swung by this morning...

Post by #40Fan »

...with a case of beer in one hand and some aluminum in the other. Sets them on the counter and pulls out his approved form one with some chicken scratch drawing on the back and asks if I can make his pieces of aluminum into his drawing.

Well, quite a few hours later....

I don't know how well it will work, but he seemed happy with the outcome. He won't be able to shoot it until a 1/2"-28 to 5/8"-24 steel thread adapter comes in. I will use that for the threaded ended of the suppressor internal "tube" so he won't mar up the aluminum putting it on and off.

It will be used on a couple of .17 HMRs that he has.

I'll be sure to take some videos of this.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: A friend swung by this morning...

Post by fishman »

Thats... Uh... Unique
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Why are the holes uniformly spaced and arrayed?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

You...manufactured...parts?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

alordnapa wrote:You...manufactured...parts?
That's legal if the owner is present
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

alordnapa wrote:You...manufactured...parts?
Yep, sure did. And there might have been a few beers left over for me when all was said and done.

And, as fishman said, he was here, I am good to go.

He took his pieces home with him and will bring them back when the adapter shows up.
poikilotrm wrote:Why are the holes uniformly spaced and arrayed?
:? I was asked to make it like this. What are your thoughts?

They are angled towards the muzzle in "hopes" they'll pull any gases away from the centerline of the inner bore.

Going to be interesting to see how it performs.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

If you're a'lookin' for people's 2 cents' worth of criticism... I'll suggest that it's one step worse than Jesse James' sweet potato can, as it doesn't vent into the baffle chambers as much as his long slots in the central soda straw. Of course his $5,000 can is a complete joke, but in large part that's due to the $5,000 part. At least with this thing the costs are lower.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

a_canadian wrote:If you're a'lookin' for people's 2 cents' worth of criticism... I'll suggest that it's one step worse than Jesse James' sweet potato can, as it doesn't vent into the baffle chambers as much as his long slots in the central soda straw. Of course his $5,000 can is a complete joke, but in large part that's due to the $5,000 part. At least with this thing the costs are lower.
I am sure the aluminum cost next to nothing, but do you think it won't work worth a hoot?

Not sure about the Jesse James thing. Never saw it. You talking about the motorcycle builder?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Oh it'll make your friend's gun a bit quieter, but not nearly as much as can be done with proper baffles. Here's Jesse James' can's guts - and yes, that JJ.

#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Thanks for the picture. That looks pretty complicated. And for $5k! :x

Anyhow, I can't accept ownership of the design, just the build. I thought it was interesting and decided to post a picture of it to see what others thought.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

#40Fan wrote: :? I was asked to make it like this. What are your thoughts?

They are angled towards the muzzle in "hopes" they'll pull any gases away from the centerline of the inner bore.

Going to be interesting to see how it performs.
Induction of chaotic flow, energy dispersal, and rapid cooling of gasses are the goals of a can. That core doesn't seem like it will do much of anything other than trapping and slowing the gas.

I really need a garage and a 3D printer. I have some ideas, I just need to make them and test them.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

#40Fan wrote:
Nice machine work....I would add diffusion material.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

You did really nice work on that.

If it's not as quiet as your friend was hoping for, try enlarging ports to allow more gas to be able to reach the chambers. Or make long slots whereever you can.
I don't care what your chart says
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

I don't think it'll do much better than 10-12 dB reduction, but the part looks good!
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
1rflman

Post by 1rflman »

#40Fan wrote:...with a case of beer in one hand and some aluminum in the other. Sets them on the counter and pulls out his approved form one with some chicken scratch drawing on the back and asks if I can make his pieces of aluminum into his drawing.

Well, quite a few hours later....

I don't know how well it will work, but he seemed happy with the outcome. He won't be able to shoot it until a 1/2"-28 to 5/8"-24 steel thread adapter comes in. I will use that for the threaded ended of the suppressor internal "tube" so he won't mar up the aluminum putting it on and off.

It will be used on a couple of .17 HMRs that he has.

I'll be sure to take some videos of this.
Nice work! What are the length, diameter and bore dimensions?

It's not very hard to suppress a rimfire... waiting for the range report.

I like the external design too. :wink:
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

1rflman wrote:
Nice work! What are the length, diameter and bore dimensions?

It's not very hard to suppress a rimfire... waiting for the range report.

I like the external design too. :wink:
I posted this on the F1 board, so I'll just C&P it here too.
Specs are 6" in length. Bore was done with a 1/4" drill bit that was a mile long (ok, actually 12" long). Exit side of center section was .010" off due to drill wander. Was able to true it all up by turning on centers. The O.D. of the tube is/was 1.5", but was turned down a little in some areas and a lot in others as seen in the pics. I.D. is 1.25". All the little holes are 1/8" and the brake ports are 3/16". Threads are 24mm x 2. The smaller O.D. of the inner tuber is around 5/8", but I think I will turn it down some more and remove a little more material around the exit end to shave a little more weight.

I too am interested in how this will sound.
ECCO Machine wrote:I don't think it'll do much better than 10-12 dB reduction, but the part looks good!
Any idea on what the dB of a 17 HMR is?

I think I half jokingly asked you on the AR15 board about metering some F1 cans. Was that you or someone else? I believe we are close enough it could happen.
John A. wrote: If it's not as quiet as your friend was hoping for, try enlarging ports to allow more gas to be able to reach the chambers. Or make long slots whereever you can.
That's always a possibility.

Hung out with him for a while today and he is giddy. Showed it off at his morning coffee. He said tracking on his adapter shows late next week, so maybe Saturday, I'll have some video of it.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

#40Fan wrote:

I think I half jokingly asked you on the AR15 board about metering some F1 cans. Was that you or someone else? I believe we are close enough it could happen.
I've never bother with unsuppressed metering, but I imagine 155 to 160 from a rifle barrel. They're pretty barky, very sharp crack.

What's your username there? I seem to recall that awhile back. Unfortunately, I need a new 1/4" preamp for my 2209, stuck using my 2619 preamp and 1/2" 4165 mic right now, which doesn't have very good accuracy above 135 dBA.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

ECCO Machine wrote:
#40Fan wrote:

I've never bother with unsuppressed metering, but I imagine 155 to 160 from a rifle barrel. They're pretty barky, very sharp crack.

What's your username there? I seem to recall that awhile back. Unfortunately, I need a new 1/4" preamp for my 2209, stuck using my 2619 preamp and 1/2" 4165 mic right now, which doesn't have very good accuracy above 135 dBA.
I do know they are loud, but I didn't think they'd be that far up in the range.

Is the consensus for going by ear, is that as long as it doesn't ring your ears that the dBs are below 140?

Same username as here.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I expect that would have a lot to do with how damaged your hearing was already. Some folks say they experience no pain shooting a 12ga without earpro (I know a guy like this - he's shot a LOT of hundreds of thousands of rounds, too many without protection). Others complain when an airgun is unsuppressed (that'd me me). I doubt ringing in the ears could be used to quantify dB level. Unless we're testing using babies with good hearing. Which nobody is doing, I hope.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Before I was 5 years old, I was exposed to a lot of single engine airplanes.

Then guns.

Then drums and rock and roll and garage bands

now, my ears ring all the time. At night when all is quiet is when it's the worst.

It's like continuous feedback on a loud guitar amp or PA system.
I don't care what your chart says
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Well, I'm not too terribly old and I think I still have excellent hearing.

I know he has an older .22lr rifle and a 9mm. Maybe I'll get him to fire both of those in the video to show a difference as well. Of course, there will be a naked barrel shot and with this installed. In fact, he has two .17 HMRs, so maybe a duel is needed.

I did play with my camera this weekend on finding a good distance to place it away from gun fire to keep from overpowering the microphone.
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sergeant »

John A. wrote:Before I was 5 years old, I was exposed to a lot of single engine airplanes.

Then guns.

Then drums and rock and roll and garage bands

now, my ears ring all the time. At night when all is quiet is when it's the worst.

It's like continuous feedback on a loud guitar amp or PA system.
I have to ask my Family to judge our suppressors. 22 years in the Military and my ears are shot. Yeah, when it's quiet....the ringing is the worst...
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

My ears used to ring from a single 12 gauge shot. Not anymore

5.56 form 1:
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sergeant »

How'd you get that to stop? Or did it just go away?
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Sergeant wrote:How'd you get that to stop? Or did it just go away?
Shoot 500 rounds unsuppressed. An 18" barrel with hunting loads still rings my ears and is disorienting. A 28" barrel is like nothing to me anymore.

Theres a reason I have a salvo12 in NFA jail

5.56 form 1: