Spacers won’t fit tube

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

chuck417

Spacers won’t fit tube

Post by chuck417 »

Today I received my DM titanium tube in the mail I rushed home from work excited as all hell to assemble my form 1 can only to find that some of my spacers won’t fit in the tube! Some of them fit but bind up half way down the tube and some won’t fit period. What do y’all recommend I’m using totality titanium spacers with stainless cones and a DM Premium Titanium 1.375 tube.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Spacers won’t fit tube

Post by #40Fan »

I had always thought that TI bought his spacers from DM until I read that the TI spacers were thicker than the DM spacers. I can't confirm that, just what I read.

It doesn't take much for a spacer to get squashed out of round in a bubble wrapped envelope nor does a tube not being bored correctly slip past quality checks. Kind of a toss up on who to contact first.

I'd start with a set of calipers to check the roundness/O.D. size of the spacers.

Your predicament definitely sounds odd. If all of the spacers fit tight, I'd say the spacers. If all went in and hung up half way, I'd say the tube. Half and half?
Last edited by #40Fan on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Yeah, I'd be leaning toward the tube at this point as well. If the spacers fit into the tube and stops, that would tell me the tube is the culprit.
I don't care what your chart says
chuck417

Post by chuck417 »

If it does end up being the tube I'm going to be pissed because I've been waiting over a month for my end caps and tube from DM and if it does end up being a tube out of whack that's going to piss me off even more as that is just bullshit quality control.
ajax5184

Post by ajax5184 »

Having just put together a dm 22 kit, I will say the spacers and cones fit really tight. It takes a little force to get the stack into the tube. Mine was similar though in they would slide fairly easy to a point and then they would stop and require more force to go all the way. There is no way I could put cones or spacers in individually though, the only way it would work for me was to stack all the parts and slide the tube over the top. Just my experience though so take it for what it’s worth.
chuck417

Post by chuck417 »

Ok so I’ve tried putting the tube on over the stack no luck still binds even tried soaking the entire thing in PB. at this point I’m getting mad this is horseshit.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

#40Fan wrote:
I'd start with a set of calipers to check the roundness/O.D. size of the spacers.
If the spacers and tube are round you might need to hone the tubes id.A split dowel wrapped w/ oiled sandpaper should do the deed.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

Where are you located, chuck? I have some spacer material from DM that is made for 1.375" I.D. tubes. I could send you one for the cost of shipping $3 to see how it fits.
chuck417

Post by chuck417 »

I’m in Dallas, Texas. Going to my buddies shop today to see if I can chuck them up in his lathe and turn them down a thou.
gojckent4

Post by gojckent4 »

chuck417 wrote:I’m in Dallas, Texas. Going to my buddies shop today to see if I can chuck them up in his lathe and turn them down a thou.
Surely that'll work. If you want to take a swing at increasing the ID slowly, you might try a brake cylinder honing tool. They start about $10 and are good for smoothing out ID rough spots from around 3.4" to 2-1/2". For instance try "AMPRO T71791" on Amazon. Chuck it up and let it spin. Or you could send it back. QC issues oughta be addressed.

My VSRs and spacers stick in the middle of my Apogee D-cell tube when it's dirty, so expect it to get worse after you've put a few rounds through it.