300 Black Out Welded Can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

K2 Designs

Re: 300 Black Out Welded Can

Post by K2 Designs »

304 and 316 always want to warp. You need to either design around it or compensate with weld fixtures and setups. If need be, I'll attach large Al blocks near the weld, to absorb heat. I always do a couple test pieces to ensure I have the setting correct. The fixture works perfectly. It took a couple tweaks, but I've used it for several projects.
T-Rex, Thanks for all of the feedback! It's been over a year since I built a can, so I'm still getting back into the swing of things. I'm really excited though. Hoping to start making chips this weekend.

I had read that 304 warped before trying, but I guess I didn't realize just how much 300 series could warp. This was also my first try at welding stainless, so many lessons were learned in general. I had considered doing heat-sinks on either side, but opted not to since I thought I had enough meat there to minimize warp already.

I am planning to make a few weld test pieces to prove in my weld schedule before going for the real thing. I figure I'll replicate the bases of my baffles and a portion of the cone (but not in a way to make it a conceivable suppressor part), and then weld ~90 degrees around for each set of parameters. I figure 2 to 3 joints would then give me plenty of tries to find the best one. I'll of course do a little research online to find a good guess to start with too.

On welding 17-4, do you think heat sinks would help? Also, do you know if doing a post weld anneal and heat treat that that would remove any warp from the welding? I'm planning to start with annealed 17-4. I do have a HT oven, so I'm considering making the part blanks ~H1100 to improve machinability, but haven't decided if it's worth the time. Might do one just to see.

K2
Mattman2010

Post by Mattman2010 »

Form 1 for my SBR and the form 1 for this can both came in today (20 days :D ). Waiting on tooling and materials to arrive and then Ill start going on this can!
K2 Designs

Post by K2 Designs »

Congrats! That's a really fast turn-around on both stamps. I'm in the process of making my 30cal can. About halfway done machining baffles.

Mattman2010

Post by Mattman2010 »

Looking good man! I've got everything I believe machined to shape. Just got to do a little trimming on the ends of the baffles (When I started I didn't have a part off tool that would work) and clip all the baffles. I have one baffle that I did first that I used the wrong insert on and it has to big of a radius in the corner that I have to fix.

Start of the baffles and endcap

Stack up (You can see the gap where the radius was to big.

Muzzle Brake all machined up and fitted to the barrel

Stacked all up on the upper. (Excuse the shop, its a mess)
Mattman2010

Post by Mattman2010 »

Went out into the shop last night and turned up an expanding mandrel, used it in the lathe to hold the baffles to trim them to length.

This morning I took the mandrel over to the mill and clipped all the baffles

Now to figure out how I'm going to weld this. Going to try to turn a couple pieces from what 17-4 I have left and try to figure out what my settings need to be (I don't have pulse on my machine so I hope I can get away with it). If anyone has any tips on fusion welding 17-4 that would be great!

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Mattman2010 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:44 am Now to figure out how I'm going to weld this. Going to try to turn a couple pieces from what 17-4 I have left and try to figure out what my settings need to be (I don't have pulse on my machine so I hope I can get away with it). If anyone has any tips on fusion welding 17-4 that would be great!
17-4 will warp pretty good, too.

Do tiny tack welds every 120° or 90° on each baffle and just don't let it get too hot.

If you're rotating manually, you're gonna have start & stop points anyway unless you're a contortionist, so I'd do every 90°tacks and alternate welding opposite sides between them.

If you set up with a powered rotary fixture to make more consistent welds and only a single stop point, do every 120° tacks and just be more concsious of your heat input. Give it a break between segments.

This is an AAC can I just did a mount conversion on this week. The inner core has a threaded connection to the custom adapter, but the 316L tube is fusion TIG welded to the 17-4 adapter using a powered rotary fixture:

And just straight 17-4 H900 baffle stack fusion welding. You can see the start/stop point, which I'm not concerned with on a core that goes into a tube. I'll put some downslope on the current for tubeless stuff, though

FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Mattman2010

Post by Mattman2010 »

I've got a chuck on my plasma table i plan on using to do constant welding with, being a tubeless design I would like it to look consistent.

Ive got a precision ground rod that is the same size as my drill size. I thought about welding it on that rod, but if it moves any little bit I may not be able to remove the rod. So right now I'm planning on using 3/8" all thread to hold pressure together and spin it on and use the rod to see if it slightly bent or not after weld. I've seen some things about pre heating 17-4. I'm assuming that is not needed? Thanks for the info ECCO!
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Mattman2010 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:22 pm I've seen some things about pre heating 17-4. I'm assuming that is not needed?
While it is with most hardenable alloys, it really isn't with 17-4.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=2526

It a really stable alloy, not at all prone to cracking like 400 series. 400 series need to be pre-heated, and really should be post-weld annealed and then re-hardened & tempered. I've skipped the annealing & re-harden step on prototypes I've done with 416, 422 and 440C in the past with parts that were already hardened & tempered, but did pre-heat and post-weld re-temper. Those materials were used because I had them on hand in the right sizes and got them cheap (12' of 1-13/16 422 stainless for a bit over $200, for example) So far, those have held up fine, but I wouldn't sell a can that was done that way, since you end up with areas that may be partially annealed from welding.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Mattman2010

Post by Mattman2010 »

Welded up the can yesterday.

I put my precision ground rod through it. It has a little amount of warp. but didn't look to be enough to cause any problems. Took it out and shot a couple of rounds through it. Everything seems good to go. Not sure what to say about sound, it quiets its but this is also the only silencer I have ever shot, so to me it seems like it does a great job! Its on an AR so I have a lot of chamber sound.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Post by #40Fan »

That looks good!!
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Do tiny tack welds every 120° or 90° on each baffle and just don't let it get too hot.

If you're rotating manually, you're gonna have start & stop points anyway unless you're a contortionist, so I'd do every 90°tacks and alternate welding opposite sides between them
I had a coworker weld my 300blk can to my barrel. This is how I had him do it.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647