Gemtech vs Sparrow vs Cone design?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

AndreyKramer

Gemtech vs Sparrow vs Cone design?

Post by AndreyKramer »

Hi guys
I am developing a monocore silencer for 5.56 (I have access to CNC)
Now I have a dilemma - which baffle design to choose?
I found out 3 options.

The first option is Gemtech buffle design.
As I understand, the silencer operation principle is in the phase superposition of sound waves. Therefore, the buffle as a whole is mirrored.
The main advantages in this buffles design are: 1) easy to draw 3D models and 2) ease of production (very easy to mill metal cylinder "all the way through").

Second option is Silencerco Sparrow style
As I understand it, the working principle of this buffles design in the asynchronous collision of the powder gases flows + mixing them with each other.
disadvantage - it is more difficult to draw a 3D model because of the "asynchronous" located baffles

Third buffle design is more or less "classical" (cone) design

-------------------------------
So.....
What design should be taken as the basis of my project?
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gemtech vs Sparrow vs Cone design?

Post by ECCO Machine »

None. Monocores suck. They work ok on .22 rifles, that's about it. I spent a fair amount of time trying to "build a better mousetrap" experimenting with all kinds of monocore designs. There's a reason every one of my suppressor models have conical baffles.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
ninoslavt

Post by ninoslavt »

Well, I wouldn't use word "suck" for monocores. Sure, if you're chasing the best suppression, than you're right. But sometimes, enough is all you need.
Born to be wild!
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

My several dozens of monocores made for airguns and .22lr confirm that 'suck' applies perfectly well. Tried emulating a bunch of published commercial and homemade monocores, fiddled with variations in pattern and spacing of volumes, baffle face shapes, symmetrical vs asymmetrical. K baffles are significantly superior, even my early ones which were far too long and poorly shaped. Haven't tried cones as I stick with airguns and .22lr but if I build something for my 9mm carbine I'll use cones.
AndreyKramer

Post by AndreyKramer »

guys!!!
please do not leave the main topic \ question.

Question was :
1) 5,56
2) three types of monocore design
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

AndreyKramer wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm guys!!!
please do not leave the main topic \ question.

Question was :
1) 5,56
2) three types of monocore design
You asked for and received advice. If you don't want to listen to those of us with experience on the matter, why bother asking the question?

Once again, none of those 3 designs, nor any other monocore, will give very pleasing results on a 5.56. NONE.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
alordnapa
Silent But Deadly

Post by alordnapa »

Andrey,

You can make a very long-lived, reasonably effective suppressor with a monocore. I understand the posters who have suggested "D: None of the above" as the best answer. (Friends don't let friends build monocores) Every design choice comes with positive and negative consequences. I think that you do not do yourself a service to think of suppression as just one physical model, there are nearly unlimited mechanisms by which a suppressor may do its job, and many of them are highly subjective. For instance, one suppressor design converted human passband detectable frequencies to ultrasonic frequencies, at comparable amplitudes. The danger to ears was probably greater than un-suppressed gunfire would be, since at least you can shield yourself from a second audible "bang". The .223 is never going to be "Hollywood quiet" with normal ammo, but with a monocore you can bring the noise below the pain threshold, it's just not going to be "CIA, super-secret squirrel" levels of performance. On the other hand, nothing really is. I like the Gemtech design, because I think it's pretty...
AndreyKramer

Post by AndreyKramer »

guys, thanks for your answers.
I googled for a long time before creating this topic. And yes, I often heard the saying that cones are better than monocore.
BUT!!!
I do not have access to a lathe. But I can pay the money and rent a CNC machine for 1 day and work on it. That is why monocore has a lot more priority than cones because I have alot of experience in CNC milling but I have not experience on a lathe at all.

------------

Also I want to CNC silencer for AKM (7,62x39)

please, advise me the most successful monocore design in your opinion.
For me, the priority is:
1) lack of flash when fired. Perhaps even to the detriment of silence. (I do not like fireballs especially in the late evening and / or at dusk)
2) low weight. I have a long barrel and every gram at the very tip of the barrel significantly reduces maneuverability and transfer from target to target.
(I will use titanium for saving weight but I need as low weight as possible)
3)
mr fixit
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr fixit »

Maybe look at Liberty's designs? I believe the Cosmic is rated for anything less than .45 diameter from longer than 16" barrels. their Leonidas is pretty cool design for Blackout, but designed specifically for short barrels in that single caliber. Maybe consider YHM style, not sure of the angle but baffles are flat and slanted.