First form 1 done... finnaly

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.
Grassyflats

First form 1 done... finnaly

Post by Grassyflats »

Well took a bit of time and research but finally finished with my first form 1 suppressor. 1.5 od 1.37 I'd tube, 6 k baffels, 1x28
12 degree included taperlock adapter. 17-4 heat treat to h900
Tube is 316.
Seems to suppress well, overall happy with this one and now thinking about one for my 12.5 6.8
Spent a lot of time researching on this site and many others lots of good information here thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185206739 ... 460588016/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185206739 ... res/6J0Jt7
SILENCERSTUDENT

Re: First form 1 done... finnaly

Post by SILENCERSTUDENT »

great job!! hows it sound? did u machine the k 's yourself or buy?
Grassyflats

Post by Grassyflats »

Thanks
machined everything myself, baffels, end caps and adapter on a hardinge toolroom lathe and threaded the main tube on a larger Clausing. Bridgeport mill for the engraving, scoops and the skirt holes. Heat treated at 900 for an hour. I am fortunate to work for a company that has a large tooling dept. An does not mind employees using machines on breaks and weekends. Material came from scrap shelves. I have about 250 including stamp invested and many lunch and smoke breaks :D
But worth it
Sounds good to my ears, I dont have a good meeter but a guy at work thinks he can get me one to borrow.
It was a fun project and am starting to plan the next one
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

You did really good on that.

K baffles are among the most difficult and time consuming style to make. Lots of different cuts and angles. You nailed it like a pro. Very good job sir.
I don't care what your chart says
Matt in TN
Silent Operator

Post by Matt in TN »

Looks great! What's the primary use/caliber?
22: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138952
30: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156481
9: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=696697
Grassyflats

Post by Grassyflats »

Thanks John A
Was a fun project took a little bit of time to wrap my head around how I was going to make the k baffels but with the help of the folks here and a bit of obsessive research I got her figured out.

Primary use 9mm sub gun. New favorite toy PSA akv
I know its overbuilt for 9 but it might see some 300 black out as well
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

K's do well in blackout too.

I'm about to make an integral for a 9x39 upper that I recently completed. The 9x39 is impressing the heck out of me and it's begging for an integral can.

I think K's would work quite well with that since it's a low pressure round.
Grassyflats

Post by Grassyflats »

Jon A
I built an adapter to run 5/8 24 threads and added a spacer, to take the place of a baffle, and to create a blast chamber before the blast baffle, for use with 6.8. It did supress pretty well but heated up the can quickly. Ultimately decided to not run the 6.8 anymore through the can. Will I need to use this blast chamber area/spacer for 300 black out subs and or supers
Thanks in advance for the help
J
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

300 supers and 6.8 both can get warm.

Try it both ways to see how you like it.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Parts look good!

Having said that, from a part strength standpoint, you'll want to change the baffle profile if you ever decide to make the parts thinner, use lighter materials or hammer them with more powerful cartridges. The tiny waist and flat distal face on the flange (especially with the sharp transition to cone) are a weak point. With 9mm and 17-4 H900, shouldn't be a problem, but if they were aluminum, I guarantee they'd eventually break, sending part of the flange down over the cone.
Grassyflats wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 pm 1x28 12 degree included taperlock adapter.
I don't see anything resembling a 12° angle on that mount. These have a 12° included taper:

FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Grassyflats

Post by Grassyflats »

One of the pics shows the tube k baffels and adaptor and yes there is a 12 degree taper included in the part above the threads I know because i put it there
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Grassyflats wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:44 am One of the pics shows the tube k baffels and adaptor and yes there is a 12 degree taper included in the part above the threads I know because i put it there
Where?

Though it's difficult to guesstimate accurately from a photo, especially one representing the part at an angle, I see included angles of:

Included tapers are measured in the fashion shown bottom right:

If I had to guess, you have an odd compound with two 45° marks and a 0° where the 45° should be. You offset 6° from that 0° mark and cut, meaning your actual included angle is either 78° or 102°
Last edited by ECCO Machine on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

Double tap
Grassyflats

Post by Grassyflats »

In between the 60 degree line you drew and the threads
Grassyflats