K Baffle waist channel and aerodynamic issues

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

VX666

K Baffle waist channel and aerodynamic issues

Post by VX666 »

I'm studying the K baffle design for my next F1 and I'm still kind of new to it

I have noticed that commercial suppressors with K baffles have a channel down the line

Would that change the flight path ofvthe projectile?

Would this increase the risk of baffle strikes ?

What is its purpose and does it help with blow back?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Re: K Baffle waist channel and aerodynamic issues

Post by a_canadian »

Not clear what you mean by channel. K baffles typically have an asymmetrical pair of cuts, one in the face to direct gas pressure across the bore, and one in the waist opposite the first to allow some of that cross bore stream to pass into the area outside the baffle. This can definitely cause some slight POI shift, especially if they are all lined up in the same direction, and more so I think with subsonics. But they're essential for a K baffle to work. Without these cuts there is no reason to use a K baffle, and the outer volume will be entirely wasted as it is sealed against gas pressure expansion.
VX666

Post by VX666 »

Channel meaning the cut outs along the center hole when you line up the K baffles that look like a channel visually.

What happens if a k baffle has no cut outs?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I've not seen that. A non-round bore in a K baffle? Never seen it. Sounds like a strangely made K baffle. Cone baffles, sure, especially since Rusty's DHC clipping became popular. But not a K.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

The channel is what makes k baffles actually work.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
VX666

Post by VX666 »

Thanks @a_canadian, I have not done a F1 with K baffles yet so I'm trying to learn as much as possible
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I've only used K baffles with subsonic .22lr and air rifles. With various barrels on each I've seen significant but repeatable POI shift. There are surface effects as the projectile transits an asymmetrical set of baffle features, some pressure ahead of the bullet or pellet nose being pushed across the bore which causes deflection. Alternating the baffles 180° in a zigzag helps, but the mass of a suppressor is still changing barrel harmonics so POI will always change. I mostly shoot suppressed. Well, only in fact. So this doesn't really bother me.