Need help on a .30 cal build

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
Mopar
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:32 am

Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by Mopar » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 am

So i have a SD Tactical 1.5x7.6 inch tube and want to use it for 308 Super Sonic 175 and 178 Grain rounds the barrel is 16 inches long and the FPS on the rounds are 2560. What would be the best baffle design for this or should i go mono core. How many baffles,blast chamber,baffle spacing clipping and should i use a muzzle brake or direct thread it to the barrel? I just picked up a lathe and mill and have a few years of machining experience so i can make up what i need. there are so many different designs out there not sure where to start, this is my second can i used Cones from Totality Industries for my 300 BO and with help from y'all its ok. just thinking that a better design out there, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by ECCO Machine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:13 pm

For a 1.5" OD ~8" .30 can for supersonic use, I do single clipped 50° conical baffles with progressive spacing, skirts going .75, .65, .55, .5, .45, .425, .4, .35, ~.2.

Muzzle brake mounts are better than direct thread for most applications.

This is one I did yesterday. The owner is using a Griffin brake.

Image
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist

Mopar
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by Mopar » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:28 pm

thank you for the reply very nice work, how deep is the Clip cut ?

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by ECCO Machine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Mopar wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:28 pm
thank you for the reply very nice work, how deep is the Clip cut ?
3/16" width, .230" deep on the blast baffle, .215" on the second, .200" on the rest. Blast baffle cone is .065" thick, # 2 is .055", the other 7 are .045"
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist

EastTxHorn
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by EastTxHorn » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:42 am

ECCO Machine wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:00 pm
Mopar wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:28 pm
thank you for the reply very nice work, how deep is the Clip cut ?
3/16" width, .230" deep on the blast baffle, .215" on the second, .200" on the rest. Blast baffle cone is .065" thick, # 2 is .055", the other 7 are .045"

That is very nice. I assume you machined the cones yourself?

3strucking
Silent Operator
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by 3strucking » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:37 pm

If you are not able to machine your own parts, then I would certainly give ECCO a call. His craftsmanship and attention to detail are second to none.

gumby223
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:21 am

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by gumby223 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:08 pm

ECCO Machine wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:13 pm
For a 1.5" OD ~8" .30 can for supersonic use, I do single clipped 50° conical baffles with progressive spacing, skirts going .75, .65, .55, .5, .45, .425, .4, .35, ~.2.

Muzzle brake mounts are better than direct thread for most applications.

This is one I did yesterday. The owner is using a Griffin brake.

Image
Nice looking work! I'll have to contact you when it comes time for me to get some work done.

EastTxHorn
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by EastTxHorn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm looking for 1.625 tube and end cap. Any suggestions? DM is out and has been.

User avatar
T-Rex
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: CT - The AntiConstitution State

Re: Need help on a .30 cal build

Post by T-Rex » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:38 am

EastTxHorn wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 pm
I'm looking for 1.625 tube and end cap. Any suggestions? DM is out and has been.
http://form1suppressor.boards.net/thread/4158/solvent-trap-companies-updated-list
Completed Builds www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79895
Burst Calculator www.engineersedge.com/calculators/pipe_bust_calc.htm
Silencer Porn www.instagram.com/explore/tags/silencerporn/

Post Reply