50bmg reflex can?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Zero99z

50bmg reflex can?

Post by Zero99z » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm finalizing my design as I prepare to file my form 1, and I'm stick on the expansion chamber and mounting method. Another member suggested I go 5" over the barrel, but I'd like to go further, something like 8"-12" (there's a step in the barrel at 12" so it can't be more). Right now I'm looking at a length of 24" and an ID of 2 1/4", and I'll be using flat baffles. If I weld the inner tube that goes over the barrel and use pipe fittings (screw in cap and straight coupler at the rear) to make it QD my brake will take up about 4", or I can direct mount it. Would QD be a viable option? How big should I make the expansion chamber? Any advice would be appreciated.

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Re: 50bmg reflex can?

Post by ECCO Machine » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Reflex chambers are an inefficient use of mass, and anything longer than ~200% of ID is a complete waste. Flat baffles are also a poor choice for anything, and especially for supersonic rifle rounds. Pipe fittings are for pipes, have no place in the suppressor world. As for QD mounts, it's a .50; exactly how much convenience do you need in quickly attaching a 5 pound can to a 30-40 pound rifle?

2.5" ID, 14-16" long, 9-11 50° single clipped baffles with progressive spacing, large blast chamber. Incorporate an aggressive brake into your mount. A brake on the front of the can is also a good idea with .50 BMG
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist

Zero99z

Post by Zero99z » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:12 pm

ECCO Machine wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:31 pm
Reflex chambers are an inefficient use of mass, and anything longer than ~200% of ID is a complete waste. Flat baffles are also a poor choice for anything, and especially for supersonic rifle rounds. Pipe fittings are for pipes, have no place in the suppressor world. As for QD mounts, it's a .50; exactly how much convenience do you need in quickly attaching a 5 pound can to a 30-40 pound rifle?

2.5" ID, 14-16" long, 9-11 50° single clipped baffles with progressive spacing, large blast chamber. Incorporate an aggressive brake into your mount. A brake on the front of the can is also a good idea with .50 BMG
It's more for convenience to transport and so I don't have to take the brake off to use the can. More mass in case wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. My rifle only weighs just over 27lbs. I plan on using stainless pipe fittings, don't know if that makes a difference. I'm trying to build it as simlpy as possible because my machining capabilities in terms of tools is limited to welding, drilling, and cutting. I do like the idea of a brake on the can. Maybe it would be in my best interest to just keep the can attached?

ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Zero99z wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:12 pm
I plan on using stainless pipe fittings, don't know if that makes a difference. I
Materials are part of the reason not to, but the bigger issue is that pipe threads are tapered, and manufacturing tolerances on pipe fittings aren't up to par for something that can be off axial alignment no more than a couple thousandths without having major problems.

.50 BMG is no place to screw around with weaker parts/materials or questionable designs, be it making the weapon itself or a suppressor for it. I'd be using seamless 316, seamless 4130 or gr. 9 CWSR tube of decent thickness with ASM stainless alloys like 17-4, 15-5, 422 for mounts and internals.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist

Zero99z

Post by Zero99z » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:16 pm

ECCO Machine wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:54 pm
Zero99z wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:12 pm
I plan on using stainless pipe fittings, don't know if that makes a difference. I
Materials are part of the reason not to, but the bigger issue is that pipe threads are tapered, and manufacturing tolerances on pipe fittings aren't up to par for something that can be off axial alignment no more than a couple thousandths without having major problems.

.50 BMG is no place to screw around with weaker parts/materials or questionable designs, be it making the weapon itself or a suppressor for it. I'd be using seamless 316, seamless 4130 or gr. 9 CWSR tube of decent thickness with ASM stainless alloys like 17-4, 15-5, 422 for mounts and internals.
I'm definitely using 4130 for the tube, 1/4" wall, and I'm thinking 1/4" to 1/2" thick 304 flat discs for the baffles. I got some grade 8 nuts coming for mounting or thread protectors, depending on what I do.